Towing capacity question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91693
What I Drive: 2000, Dirt Metallic, Kona ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gun_runner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Towing capacity question

I have a 2000 zx3 with a zetec and manual trans. I was wondering If the car could handle towing my 67 Mini Cooper. I know the manual says only 1000lbs, but my mini only weighs 1285, and I have heard that the US focus has a lower stated number due to regulations. It really is seriously tiny.... Seriously... Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
It would be far cheaper to rent a flatbed or trailer to haul this than to pay for possible damage done to the drivetrain of the Focus.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Would this be float towing or towed on a trailer of some kind? Towed on its own I think it would be ok. I have towed a trailer weighing 1200lbs with a Pontiac Sunfire for a distance on 7000km (4350mi) as a total from 2 trips in which I was going 110km/h all day. That car is still rolling with the original clutch and overall drive train with 350,000km (217,500mi) on the odometer.

Realize that the 1000lbs towing capacity is only for the lawsuit crazy USA. In Europe people wouldn't give a second thought to tow that much and more with your exact car model. Check out THIS CHART listing several Foci from the UK to see an idea what they consider an acceptable tow weight.

Check out this bit about Europe vs the American towing conspiracy from thetruthaboutcars.com. Apparently a Toyota Yaris in the UK is good to haul 2300 lbs.

In other words you can tow your mini just fine, looking at the charts even if there was the weight of a trailer included. Drive carefully and gently and show North America that you don't need a full size pickup to tow what amounts to an equivalent load of 5 fat guys.

I consider myself a spreader of truth, I'll now step off my soap box.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Flat Tow should be OK.

On a Trailer you'd be getting into the range where you'd need a trailer with brakes, controller in the car etc.. CA wants brakes at 1,500lb. and you'd easily be above that.

S.R. #275

Old 04-06-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Seeing the original mini next to the modern one, I never realized how huge they have become. It seems that the new one misses the point somehow.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Would this be float towing or towed on a trailer of some kind? Towed on its own I think it would be ok. I have towed a trailer weighing 1200lbs with a Pontiac Sunfire for a distance on 7000km (4350mi) as a total from 2 trips in which I was going 110km/h all day. That car is still rolling with the original clutch and overall drive train with 350,000km (217,500mi) on the odometer.

Realize that the 1000lbs towing capacity is only for the lawsuit crazy USA. In Europe people wouldn't give a second thought to tow that much and more with your exact car model. Check out THIS CHART listing several Foci from the UK to see an idea what they consider an acceptable tow weight.

Check out this bit about Europe vs the American towing conspiracy from thetruthaboutcars.com. Apparently a Toyota Yaris in the UK is good to haul 2300 lbs.

In other words you can tow your mini just fine, looking at the charts even if there was the weight of a trailer included. Drive carefully and gently and show North America that you don't need a full size pickup to tow what amounts to an equivalent load of 5 fat guys.

I consider myself a spreader of truth, I'll now step off my soap box.

This was very refreshing to hear. I asked the same question a couple years back on the neon forums, and they thought I was nuts to consider that! Never mind the fact that my 98 neon ACR had over 180hp and close to that in torque, all around big brakes, and koni's to boot. That car probably woulda towed the mini even easier. I miss that car =(
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Seeing the original mini next to the modern one, I never realized how huge they have become. It seems that the new one misses the point somehow.

It is definitely bigger, BUT I have to give it to them though. The new mini (the hardtop at least) looks great, drives great, and is still considerably small. They can't really make cars that small anymore. My doors are not even 2" thick, try that in a modern car...
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
I used to tow with my 01 Civic coupe
The weight will be hard to stop but as long as your careful you should be OK IMO
Easy on the starts and hill starts , you clutch will thank you for it
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
gun_runner
Focus Enthusiast

Anyone have any experience flat towing/tow bar pulling? Is it more or less stable than towing with a dolly?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
rexazz2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 121761
What I Drive: 2014 HB SE

FF Reputation: 1 rexazz2 Good Standing Member
when you flat tow you must leave the steering column unlocked so the steer wheels follow you
never towed with a dolly but suspect its better for both the car being towed as well as handling since that's the way most RVs tow

How far are you actually going ?

Bookmarks & Social Networks