The brakes on my car suck!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 PM   #1
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9968
What I Drive: 04 zx5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 autocrossman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The brakes on my car suck!!!

I have a 04 Duratec and the brake absolutely suck on it. I'm looking for some brakes that are a little bit bigger that the stock ones(that can still fit 15" rims) and also I was wondering if there is a way to get SVT rear discs instead of the ugly drums I have on it now(without spending too much on labor). Does anyone have ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
do yourself a favor and pick up some new discs and a set of ceramic pads. picked mine up at checker auto for around 200 for all. you'll be amazed at the difference it makes and no brake dust.
don't turn the factory rotors, it's not worth it. by the time mine were cleaned up they were so thin they had to be replaced anyway.
as for the rears, i just had the drums cleaned up slightly and changed the pads
Old 08-06-2004, 12:51 AM   #3
ZETEC3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 81
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid grey ZX3, 95 240SX SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZETEC3 Good Standing Member
^^^^^^I second the new rotors and ceramic pads. Installing Disk's in the rear won't be easy. The cheapest way to do it would be to take the rear assembly off of a wrecked SVT or a pre-2003 focus with the Advance Trac package.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

only 11,000 miles on mine but,

I'm thinking that I'm not going to bother with an upgrade to the rotors. Would the brake pads make a difference with stock rotors?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
BevinZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BevinZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
When mine are toast, I'm going to do Brembo rotors and a set of Hawk pads. Nothing fancy for the rotors. I don't need slotted or cross-drilled or slotted cross-drilled. I've heard I will see an increase in braking reponse for sure.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

Question are you getting the 253mm ones?

I don't understand why nobody has ones in the range between 253mm and 280mm. I don't know much about brakes, but I do know that the biger the rotor and the more rotor/pad surface coverage, the better the brakes. I was just wondering if high performance brake pads would grip better with stock rotors. Anyone know?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:55 AM   #7
Hubris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9465
What I Drive: 2000 Z28, 2004 ZX-5

FF Reputation: 1 Hubris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Re: are you getting the 253mm ones?

Absolutely, different brake pads will behave differently with the same calipers and rotors. Especially if you autocross your car, you need to keep in mind that replacing your brakes will throw you into a much different class than you were stock. There are more aggressive pads available that will stop much harder than stock. Race pads will probably make more noise....they will probably make more dust, and really aggressive pads will wear through rotors faster than stock.

The biggest benefit of larger brakes is not that they clamp all that much harder - you'll probably find you can lock up your brakes at some speed with stockers - it's that they will shed heat better and continue to perform under extreme conditions after the point at which stock brakes have become heat-soaked and experience major fade. On the street and even on the auto-x course (60-90 seconds) this just isn't an issue.

Swap your pads before you worry too much about upgrading brakes.

Quote:
Originally posted by autocrossman
I don't understand why nobody has ones in the range between 253mm and 280mm. I don't know much about brakes, but I do know that the biger the rotor and the more rotor/pad surface coverage, the better the brakes. I was just wondering if high performance brake pads would grip better with stock rotors. Anyone know?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #8
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

what about the EBS greenstuff (i think that's what the are called)

These brake pads are rated to be #1 with minimal brake dust. The only thing that they don't say about them is if you can use them with your stock rotors. Also, what will this do to the rotors(will they wear quicker?), and if they need to be replaced more often.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #9
Hubris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9465
What I Drive: 2000 Z28, 2004 ZX-5

FF Reputation: 1 Hubris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can use any pad with any rotor....as long as they 'fit' on the car. A more aggressive pad WILL wear out your rotors faster. How much faster depends on how you drive your car.

I know a lot of people who autocross their f-bodies and they use cheapie Autozone rotors with lifetime replacement warranties, and then combine that with a Hawk blue pad that gives great stopping power...and chews through rotors quickly. When they wear them out, they turn them in for replacement.

Focus is a much lighter car.....it won't chew through them quite as quickly as a 2800 pound Camaro, but a race pad will still use up rotors more quickly.

There is no such thing as a #1 best pad....just like there is no such thing as a pad with awesome stopping power, quiet and low dust. There are always compromises to be made. Ford put a quiet, low-dust pad that doesn't have the best stopping power. If you move to a race pad, it'll stop better, but the other characteristics will change.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:35 AM   #10
autocrossman
Focus Enthusiast

thanks for clearing that up

I think that your friends are smart. Buying cheap rotors with lifetime warranty is a good idea. But I'm too busy with work to do anything like that. I don't have the patience to remove and install the rotors. But I think I'm going to change out the brake pads next year for good, if my rotors are still in good shape. If not, I'm going to buy some upgrades to the brake system.

Bookmarks & Social Networks