Alternator Clip "How-To"... - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
osufans
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23001
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 8 osufans Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
glad you kicked this back up....i have noticed my car whine just a bit, and i've noticed my lights have a bit of flicker, but nothing real bad...since i'm new to the svt, and HID's in particular, I didn't know if it was related or not...but i may have something new to look for.

thanks
'03 ZX5 SVT - Pitch Black #268
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #32
FiFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59433
What I Drive: 11' Mustang GT 5.0,01' Twilight Zx3

FF Reputation: 6 FiFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
my battery light comes on and im running 14.5 at idel and driving. but i dont get voltage right away. i start the car and it sits around 12.7 then builds slowly to 14.5. i am using an X3 to look at volts
^SOLD^
'96 F-250 SCEB PowerStroke
Old 03-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #33
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
In case anybody missed the first three people who said it already, be sure to SOLDER these connections. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #34
MVent
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17635
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 2 MVent Good Standing Member
The pigtail was like a $28 part from my dealer. It's prolly a good thing to replace just as a preventative measure. I wish I had done it before I had to deal with all sorts of electrical issues.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
fatpandas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64266
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 fatpandas Good Standing Member
just did this to the wife's SVT, between this and the Thermostat housing ORing fix, this first time since we bought the car that it hasn't acted like a ten year old VW. Thanks a bunch for the info!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #36
figurado
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13212
FF Reputation: 1 figurado Good Standing Member
How to remove clip

This thread is really helpful. I had similar problems and saw that the red wire to my alternator connector "clip" was broken. I have the new pigtail kit in hand but getting the old "clip" loose from the alternator is turning into a nightmare. I read the original poster's tip about using a small flat screwdriver but I can't get anything to work. I know I am getting close to breaking the connector on the alternator side while attempting this maneuver. Any tips?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
MVent
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17635
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 2 MVent Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by figurado View Post
This thread is really helpful. I had similar problems and saw that the red wire to my alternator connector "clip" was broken. I have the new pigtail kit in hand but getting the old "clip" loose from the alternator is turning into a nightmare. I read the original poster's tip about using a small flat screwdriver but I can't get anything to work. I know I am getting close to breaking the connector on the alternator side while attempting this maneuver. Any tips?
I

I ended up breaking the clip on mine but it still attached fine, was real snug. I've checked it several times since changing it in march and it's still good.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #38
samzx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 66377
What I Drive: 2000 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 samzx3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFucus View Post
This Friday I decided to find out what was causing my electrical problems. The problems leading up this were:
-flickeing headlights and interior lights
-battery light coming on and off while driving
-"clicking" noise coming from underneath the dashboard

I had read many threads from various boards from buying grounding kits to replacing the alternator clip to correct this problem. Upon closer inspection I noticed that one of my wires had come out of the clip to the alternator, with hope that this was causing ALL of the above symptoms. I bought a new "wiring pigtail kit" from ford and followed the instructions to install it. Below are the pictures(still need to take some more pictures) showing the broken wire, the kit, the butt connectors I used to wire the new clip in place of the old one and the final result.

Broken wire:

What the packaging looks like of the kit:

What the kit consists of(new clip, 3 wire connectors, 3 heat shrink tubes):

The butt connectors I used to connect the new wires of the clip, to the wires leading to the old clip:

I will have more of the wires connected, and then of the heat shrink wrapped around the connectors and wires. Just thought I'd show everyone how it looked. Total time it took to install was about 30 minutes.

Also, the clip can be removed from the alternator by using a small flat head screwdriver and sliding the clip off the bracket.
I have the same symptoms, but i hear the click sound under the dash and whats making the sound is a relay. The car is dead ,it does nt start ,i have change the relay and the battery but the problem still there .2morrow im going to check the cable that u said.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #39
Sabine
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56822
What I Drive: 2003 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Sabine Good Standing Member
Hi all,

I have to try this fix on my car tomorrow. It showed these symptoms for about two weeks and now has a dead battery. I'm really worried about doing this myself - I'm not the most experienced car-fixer, but I'm unemployed and broke, so I don't really have any options.

I have a few questions:

My car is the Focus SE (2003). Is the part number for me the same as the one on the bag in the first picture? Or if not, what is the name of the kit?

Also, can this part be purchased at an Auto Zone or Napa, or only through the dealer?

Thanks for the help - please wish me luck!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #40
SuperFlea
Illegal Alien

Fan#: 28261
What I Drive: One Of Teh Hottest Wagons on FF!

FF Reputation: 44 SuperFlea Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
The part number would only be for the dealer, i don't think AutoZone would carry this part. I just bought mine, it was 48 bucks with tax.

Good luck!

I'm back, Itchbes!

Bookmarks & Social Networks