2008 sometimes turns over, most of the time it does not though please help - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
jstrayy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144553
What I Drive: 2007 white Impala LT

FF Reputation: 1 jstrayy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2008 sometimes turns over, most of the time it does not though please help

Hello everyone, I googled ford focus forums and came upon this site. I do not drive a focus, but my sister does. She has been having issues with the car for a while now. At times the engine will turn over when you crank it, and when it does, it turns over perfectly fine, but for the most part it does not turn over or make any noise indicating that it might be "trying" to turn over.

So, today I replaced her starter and nothing, same thing. Also, the battery was leaking and the ground terminal looked horrible, so I replaced those as well and even replaced the ground wire leading onto the chassis from the battery. Long story short- the car is now at least starting more often than before, but not all of the time.

Lastly, when it does not turn over, I hear a single click in the front end of the car. I looked at the relays, and when I remove the PCM relay it does not make this click, but it will not turn over at all without this relay.

I am not very car savvy, please bear with me. I appreciate any help I can get and please do not get frustrated w me! I am just trying to help my sister out and I want to get this resolved so she can stop relying on others for rides.

Thank you everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Starter motor relay may need replacement.

Easiest place to start (unintended pun) is to confirm you have a known good battery which can supply adequate voltage while the starter is under load. This usually involves getting the battery load tested.

Your description is a bit confusing; did you replace both the battery and the ground cable already?

Relays usually make a characteristic clicking when there is insufficient voltage.

Cleaning a battery terminal involves disconnecting it from the battery post, cleaning both parts thoroughly with a wire brush and reattaching and securing tightly. Cleaning just the exterior surfaces isn't sufficient.

Last edited by BC_ZX3; 03-02-2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
TiIngot
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110130
What I Drive: 1996 Corvette LT4 Convertible

FF Reputation: 3 TiIngot Good Standing Member
I am giving you the link to how I repaired an ignition issue on my daughters '08 Focus. Her problem was a bad housing assembly within the steering column that holds the ignition key lock assembly on the right side of the column and the starter switch on the left side of the column.

However you have one different symptom. When my daughters car would not start there was NO sound coming from anywhere under the hood. Therefore you may have a different issue.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309714

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
jstrayy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 144553
What I Drive: 2007 white Impala LT

FF Reputation: 1 jstrayy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiIngot View Post
I am giving you the link to how I repaired an ignition issue on my daughters '08 Focus. Her problem was a bad housing assembly within the steering column that holds the ignition key lock assembly on the right side of the column and the starter switch on the left side of the column.

However you have one different symptom. When my daughters car would not start there was NO sound coming from anywhere under the hood. Therefore you may have a different issue.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309714

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! I ordered the replacement cylinder because after searching some more, I did come across a couple of threads, including yours, that mentioned this as an issue. It isn't just on the focus, it happens to many different ford models. I will be receiving the cylinder tomorrow. Let us hope that this fixes it permanently.

PS. the noise I hear is just a single click and it comes from the Relay. I switched Relays and the engine still does not always turn over, so after testing just about everything else, I am almost 100% that it is the ignition. I will keep you guys posted, and once again, thank you all for your help and quick replies, I love forums with helpful people!

This is what I found with the ignition issue http://www.truckandautocenter.com/fo...bler-tutorial/
Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
TiIngot
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110130
What I Drive: 1996 Corvette LT4 Convertible

FF Reputation: 3 TiIngot Good Standing Member
If you turn the key and hear a click under the hood then I do not think there is a problem anywhere in the steering column. Is the car auto or stick? In the starter curcuit you have the key cylinder, starter switch in the steering column. Also in the circuit is a neutral safety switch (auto), maybe a switch under the clutch for a stick, starter relay and starter.

Look under the hood for the starter relay. A part number will be stamped on the top of it. Look at the other relays beside it. They may have the same part number. If so swap one relay for another and see if anything changes. If not the relay is OK.

You stated you ordered a cylinder. If you are referring to the key cylinder then I don't think this will be the fix. On pre'08 Focus the tumblers jammed and the key would not turn at all when it failed. These posts are all over the net. In '08 Ford revised the ignition system some and these lock cylinders have not been a problem as the older ones were. However starting in '08 the lock housing assembly did become a problem.

So if you want to troubleshoot the lock housing assembly remove the steering column cover. On the left side behind the turn signal unplug the wires to the starter switch. Push in on a clip and pry out the starter switch. Plug the wires back into the starter switch. Turn the key to the run position. Use a flat head screw driver and insert it into the slot in the starter switch. Turn it all the way. It is spring loaded and will feel just like you are using a key. If it starts every time then the lock housing assembly is the problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks