Raced an SVT - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-30-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
dudemanzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2698
What I Drive: 03' Poop White ZX3 2.3L/ 90' Pigeon Grey Camry Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dudemanzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Raced an SVT

I raced an SVT yesterday from a light and beat him by about 1/2 a car length. We raced until about 80mph before he slowed. It feels pretty cool to know that I can take on an SVT. Has anyone raced a Toyota Matrix xrs or a new Mazda 3 yet?

Custom Magnaflow catback exh w/ 2.5 inch piping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
morduin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5299
What I Drive: '03 Twilight ZX5 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 morduin Good Standing Member
Talking

Actually this morning I did. Me and the matrix were merging to get on the freeway, he seemed to be pissed at me for some reason. Tried to cut me off but I out accellerated him without trying much. When we got back on the freeway we went at it again, maybe he had duratec envy.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
kaminari_croc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 577
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 (2.3L) Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 kaminari_croc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I love when old guys in their MBZ or BMW's try to pass me on the freeway on the right (I am usually in the fast lane) when there is a slight opening. I am sure they assume the Focus is a slug. So I drop it into Third and don't let them pass. Why do people feel the need to get one car ahead in traffic, you wont get where you are going any faster. Once you get off the freeway chances are you are going to get stopped at the same light. I love when someone zooms past me on the freeway weaving in and out of traffic and out of sight. Then I get off the freeway and pull up next to them at the stop light .... what a waste of gas and a danger to the other drivers on the road. Oh yeah it also bugs me when you are on a 2 or 3 lane street and come to a light in the right lane, and instead of the guy pulling up behind you, he gets next to you because you are in a "slow Focus" and he assumes he can just pass you and get back into that lane to make a right turn. I love to floor it and watch them try to pass, then slow down and get behind you and turn right. Ok I'm done venting.

Back on topic ... no but I had a little fun with a Celica GTS (should be a little faster than the XRS ). We didn't race ... but I could tell that I would put up a good fight in a race. I still think they would be faster being as I only have an intake .... If both cars were equipped with IHE I think it would be a pretty even race. It would all come down to the driver really ...
Old 03-30-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
kaminari, I try to do that when cars blow past me too! I just feel offended that they consider me an easy pass, so I purposely annoy them... probably not helping the whole road rage deal huh?
I had a sort of race the other day. Me and my roommate were sitting at this light that goes from 2 lanes down into 1 after the intersection and people are forever trying to get ahead of you, then drive 5 miles under the speed limit (~30). I'm carrying me and my roommate, plus easily 200 pounds of concession stands stuff from Sam's Club in the hatch (Focus was PACKED to the brim). So I figure this late 80s Mazda is probably going to beat me this time due to the load in the Focus, but I tried anyways, and beat him! He was definitely trying because he kept glaring at me at the light, then I heard his engine pushing up through the hill in the intersection but my car still hopped in front of him and sure enough a few seconds later he was a half mile behind me and I wasnt going that fast! I hate when cars speed up to get in front of you then drive slow... what is the point?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Mystroe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3718
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Mystroe Good Standing Member
I am quite suprised the punch these cars have.. my brother has an older 325is BMW and he would not believe me when I said I would smoke him. I had the upper hand on him though. I knew I would cause I had drivin both cars. He just didnt understand that he only had ~20whp more than me but weighs in at least 600lbs more.
Exterior: SVT Handles
Other: 17x7 Graphite Konig Holes, Yoko Spec-2's
Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
everlost
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2588
What I Drive: 04 zx3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 everlost Good Standing Member
I'm not surprised by the "punch" these cars pack. I think they are slower than shit.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
You no likey your PZEV Focus ?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
everlost
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 2588
What I Drive: 04 zx3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 everlost Good Standing Member
No, I didn't say that. I'm just not dillusional and know that it is in fact slow.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:21 PM   #9
mikeyp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 481
What I Drive: 2003 zx-3 pzev sangria red

FF Reputation: 1 mikeyp Good Standing Member
I havnt raced a matrix but I drove the pontiac vibe gt with 6 speed-with that little 1.8,it doesnt feel like 180 hp.thats a nice car but the extra half liter in our cars adds some torque baby!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM   #10
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by everlost
I'm not surprised by the "punch" these cars pack. I think they are slower than shit.
For 12k, what do you want? A new Corvette?

Bookmarks & Social Networks