back speakers sound bad? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-23-2003, 11:52 PM   #1
three_X_Z
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 883
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 three_X_Z Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
back speakers sound bad?

So my back speakers really sound bad compared to the front ones. I have one of kenwoods second nicest cd/mp3 player the 869 and it is really awesome but somehow the back speakers found a way to blow. They are not stock either they are kwoods 3-way 6x8s. I thought mabye they sounded bad because i was in the front of the car and the speakers face in killing my treble but they even sound bad when i sit in the back. Has anyone had luck rewriring the back speakers and seen and improvement in sound. They sound like they just get mid and no good treble or bass. I thought about buying some crossovers and putting some tweets right behind the seats facing forward so i can hear the treble from the back. Any suggestions would be nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2003, 07:57 AM   #2
needspeed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 305
FF Reputation: 1 needspeed Good Standing Member
I put a lot of money into really good fronts with lots of power and in a car this small I don't miss the backs at all. If anything, I would just do mid-bass drivers back there so the system hits harder at high volume. If you are just driving speakers with a head unit you do not have enough power and that may be why the rears don't sound good. A good external amp makes all the difference........Steve
MB Quart QSD 216 Bi-amped
JL Audio 300/2, 300/2, 1000/1
JL Audio 12W7 Sealed Box
---------------------------------
Past: 99,01 and 03 Cobras :-<
Old 09-24-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
dave30
Focus? What Focus?

Fan#: 388
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

FF Reputation: 1 dave30 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by needspeed
If you are just driving speakers with a head unit you do not have enough power
that's interesting..... now, let me ask you, do you have any clue what your talking about? he said the back speakers blew.... hhmm.. lets think about that... I KNOW! ADD MORE POWER! [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]....

now as far as the original qustion, you said the speakers "found a way to blow". if they're blown, you can rewire 'til your blue in the face, it aint gonna help. If they are actually blown, they gotta come out, and you gotta pay better attention to the power handling on what you put in there.....

if they're not actually blown, and are just sounding shitty, you should check if the deck has built in crossovers. some better decks have built in seperate crossovers for front / rear channels. if you accidently switched the rear crossover to lowpass, that would definitly explain a lack of treble from the back...
Old 09-24-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
three_X_Z
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 883
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 three_X_Z Good Standing Member
mabye is should of been more clear. I meant blow as in blow goats. The just plain suck. I guess that would have been better to say. My cd player does have crossovers and everything else you could really want. If every setting is the same the fronts sound much clearer. THe cd player is bad ass and should be sounding better in the back and it has a decent amount of power. As soon as my get my 2way 1000w kwood excellon amp and subs like tomorrow mabye i wont car anymore cause i will be using the crossovers but it still bugs me. Here is the link to my cd player i would suggest it to anyone who is getting somehting new

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2502
Old 09-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
inline_engine_lover
Focus Addict

Fan#: 715
What I Drive: 02 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 inline_engine_lover Good Standing Member
dave, don't jump all over geekspeed and call him a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] when you were wrong. it's just not nice.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:23 PM   #6
needspeed
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 305
FF Reputation: 1 needspeed Good Standing Member
Dave you are just plain rude. Maybe I should have said that he may not have enough power, since over driving your amp into clipping will blow speakers sooner or later. I have heard many people play thier decks too loud and an HU just does not provide as much gain as an external amp of the same rating unless the external amp is cheap crap.

There is no reason to lay into me for my post, I was not rude or disrespectful to anyone here. If you don't like what I have to say then be constructive about it. I can learn from others experience and thats OK by me.
MB Quart QSD 216 Bi-amped
JL Audio 300/2, 300/2, 1000/1
JL Audio 12W7 Sealed Box
---------------------------------
Past: 99,01 and 03 Cobras :-<
Old 09-24-2003, 08:40 PM   #7
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Before this thread gets out of hand, I like to say please cool it with the personal attacks. Dave, calling him a name like that is simply uncalled for.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #8
dave30
Focus? What Focus?

Fan#: 388
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

FF Reputation: 1 dave30 Good Standing Member
sorry. bad day. still friends?

as far over driving, your not gonna do that with one speaker hooked up to each channel of a head unit. (unless you seriously mismatch the powerhandling.) if your running, more than one driver off each channel, in series or parrallel, then under powering could be an issue, but you wont notice it in the sound quality, until the amp or speaker fries.
Now, you said your adding amps and subs, and that "maybe then you wont care because you'll be using the cross over anyway". i'm not sure i understand how your expecting this to fix your problem. by 2way amp, i'm assuming you mean 2 channel. this being the case, it sounds like your planning on running only the subs off your amp. you'll end up having to use the crossovers on the amp, not the deck, other wise youd be using the crossovers on the rear speakers as well. (maybe i missed somthing, but it looked to me like that deck only has front / rear crossovers, no seperate sub output.) which you dont want. If your still gonna be running the door speakers off the HU, (which is what it sounds like to me.) i would recommend, before installing the amp/subs , disconnect your front speakers and just play around with the settings for the back. make sure the rear crossovers are off. also, what is the power handling rating for those rear speakers. are they thee same model as in the front? your head unit is putting out 4 X 50W peak. if the rear speakers are different than the fron, it could be possible that the rears just cant handle as much power as the front.

if none of that helps, try switching the wiring for the front and rear. (hook your front speakers to the rear channel, rear speakers to the front channel) if the front still sound good playing off the rear channel, and the rears still sound like ass playing off the front channel, then it probally the speaker..... if the rears sound good off the front channel, and front speakers now sound shitty off the rear channel , then its either crossover or other setting on the HU, or possibly (hopfully not...) somthin wrong with that channel on the HU.

give it a go and let us know what happens... i promise i'll play nicely.

Last edited by dave30; 09-24-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks