Focus makes Forbes Least Safe Car list - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
Oregon-ized
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37274
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZTW 2.3L

FF Reputation: 82 Oregon-ized Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus makes Forbes Least Safe Car list

quote:

2007 Ford Focus four-door, without optional side airbags

Safety issues:

--"Poor" side-impact rating from Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

--Substantially worse-than-average frequency of injury claims filed

--Three-star frontal side-impact rating from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (out of a possible five stars)

Read the article at http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/leastsafe_1.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
turbovation
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Glad I bought an '04 SVT w/all the options.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
cliff4ever
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8616
What I Drive: 2004 Infra-red ZX3 w/ 2.3PZEV 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 cliff4ever Good Standing Member
Yah, glad I bought the 2004 ZX3 fully loaded, side impact air bags that I will hopefully never need.
Mod's checklist: K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla 2.5" cat-back, SVT suspension kit upgrade w/prothane spring isolator and sway bar bushing kit, Focus Central strut tower brace, Steeda short throw w/ Roush shift knob, clear grill turn signals w/PIAA Xtreme White, clear corners w/PIAA Xtreme White, PIAA Xtreme White Plus headlights, Nokya Arctic White fogs, LONG LIVE THE CAMARO 2008!

Best 1/4 mile: 16.19 @86 MPH
Old 11-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Forbes can cram it. And Automotive.com begs to differ, with their 4 out of 5 star ratings. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Consumer Reports praise the Focus and make it their "Editor's Choice" or something along those lines for a few years?

But seriously, having been in an accident in an '02 ZX3 (without side airbags) before, involving a 25-30 MPH side impact from a Ford Econoline van, I got out with nothing but a stiff neck and a slightly bruised temple that ached no more than 2 days. The car was totalled. The driver side door and fender caved in a little, but the cabin space still held shape and nobody was seriously injured in that accident.

And having seen various members on here walk out of huge accidents, especially lately, I think the Focus is pretty damn safe for a car in its class. I wish I can find that recent thread of the accident where someone's Focus was literally a pile of shredded metal... and yet the guy walked away fine. Of course there's definitely a lot of luck involved in many of these cases, but it's gotta count for something.

A recent AAA magazine article also had a story of an accident involving a Focus, having something to do with a tipping truck or its heavy cargo spilling on the roof of it. Something along those lines... I can't remember. After a crane hoisted up all the weight from the Focus, they found that the roof of the car held together and the person inside was completely okay. Another instance of luck, yes maybe... but what's with all these lucky cases being reported?

The way I see it is, if you die in a car wreck... you die. There's not much you can do about it. In certain cases even an SUV can't help you survive. But it's my personal opinion and experience, that for a car of its size and class, the Focus is pretty high in safety. And I hope that none of you will have to test it out and see for yourselves.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
Mr-914
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22215
What I Drive: 2002 Focus 2.0 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Mr-914 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If I were shopping for a 2007 model car, I wouldn't even consider the Focus. The design is safe for a car from 1999. In 2007, everyone has upped the ante...Civic, 3, Golf, and soon the new Corolla. Maybe in 2010 with the 3rd gen Focus...?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Achilleus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30461
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Achilleus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr-914
If I were shopping for a 2007 model car, I wouldn't even consider the Focus. The design is safe for a car from 1999. In 2007, everyone has upped the ante...Civic, 3, Golf, and soon the new Corolla. Maybe in 2010 with the 3rd gen Focus...?
So you're telling me it was easier to kill people in 1999 than it is in 2007? Please.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
As alot of you guys know, i work for Ford. I can tell you that the Focus is a tough customer. I have personally seen many crashed focus' at work and have actually done some digging to find out what they were in an accident with. The ones that were in an accident with other cars did SOO much better than the other cars did. I have also seen how tough they are with my wifes car (the red one in my gallery), she was traveling on US HWY29 coming towards my work place, when a couple pulled out in front of her in a 1990 S-10 Blazer 4x4. They crashed and her Focus only had a creased fender, broken mirror, very lightly scratched wheel. Thats ALL that her car had wrong, even the alignment was still perfect, i had it checked as soon as she came to work after the accident. The S-10, and i am very serious about this, was totalled. A friend of mine owns a lot where the local police tows vehicles that were in a wreck that cant be drivin. I saw it there after that and stopped by and asked what they did as far as fixing it. He told me that it was a total loss. My wifes car knocked off the entire left front wheel and suspension with part of the running works, the left front fender, and most of the front bumper. Not bad considering her car was purely cosmetic and absolutely no damage to anything but the fender and mirror. I have pics to back this up if anyone wants to see them. Please, you guys should feel very safe in your car, the Focus is truely a tough car, i have seen it first hand. Anything can happen in an accident, but i know i feel VERY safe in mine after all i have seen.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
fordblue72

Fan#: 26701
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 fordblue72 Good Standing Member
Ford has been known for safety so I find it hard to believe.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
yeah thats bs, look at your source, Forbes is a business magazine, give me a safety report from a magazin or a source thats about cars, total bs the focus is one of the safer cars on the road, and deffentley one of the safest if not the safest car for its price
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 11-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
surgeo1919
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29983
What I Drive: 2002 Twlighlight Blue SE Comfort wi

FF Reputation: 1 surgeo1919 Good Standing Member
Typical bias. It seems Ford can never get a break no matter what they do. I feel safer in my focus than I do in a 2007 Camry. I work for a rental car company and the camry is a JOKE. It feels like a tin can just like the rest of the cars I've driven from them i.e yaris, corolla.

I just can't stand all of this bias and bad mouthing of Ford.

Hungarians don't follow the rules. We make our own.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->