installing an aftermarket tach on manual zx3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
richiejerzee4lfe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3854
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 richiejerzee4lfe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
installing an aftermarket tach on manual zx3

not fun at all but it will help you in the long run.

first i found a good mounting point and drilled in the mount for the tach. then i took out my headunit and found the power and ground wires. for me it was easier to splice them and connect the the tach to them instead of looking all over for a constant 12v and good grounding point. then the only wire you have to worry about is the green one coming from the tach. now i have an autometer 5" so i dont know if other tachs are different. anyway find a hole in you fire wall and send that baby on through.

now you might have another wire coming from the tach that helps illuminate it at night. if you do, take off the panel under the steering wheel. there are 4 bolts there, you need to only worry about 3, the top 2 and bottom right. take em out. then youll notice where you light switch is and see that theres 1 bolt there, take it out. there are 3 screws around the light switch panel, take em out. youll see a bunch of wires going into that panel, i connected my light wire to the first wire at the top right, it was orange i think. you dont have to worry about splicing the wire, just cut enough of it to go into whole and simply use electric tape and brace the wires together to make sure that the light wire doesnt fall out.

if you want to hide the wires coming out of the tach, take off the panel around the dash board (speedometer, gas, temp gauges etc.) it has 3 screws. pull the piece out and tuck the wires into the slot on the bottom of the dash and then repanel it. after all that, put everything back together.

once you get that green wire through the firewall, you have to connect it to the green wire from the tach driver that you have to get if you want an aftermarket tach. ($55) then you have to locate the crankshaft position sensor. (ckp) if youre looking at the engine, youll see the exhaust headers and under and next to that, the tranny. coming out from the transmition, youll notice a plug adaptor that should be black. its kind of hard to get to but you should be able to see it. you have to take off part of the wire loom and splice those wires. then the driver has a green, black and red wires coming out one end and 2 wires coming out of the other in a plastic shielded case. use the shielded wire case wires for the CKP. connect the wires, one from the driver to the CKP and do the same with the other. take the red wire and connect it to the battery + terminal and the black to the - terminal. make sure to either heat shrink the CKP wires or cover them up really well with tape or what have you. there can be no moisture getting into them other wise, corrosion and thats bad. then mount the driver where you desire.

its pretty straightforward. the directions looked a lot harder to me then what needed to be done. if you have any questions, hit me up ill try to help you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 02:26 PM   #2
sexsi_wht_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4883
What I Drive: '03 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 sexsi_wht_focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Do you have any pics to post up?
Old 03-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Didn't you get a tach with your car ?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
richiejerzee4lfe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3854
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 richiejerzee4lfe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
sorry no pics. and yes i do have a tach in my car. the purpose for a bigger one with a light, is that it helps you shift. instead of having your eyes glued to the factory tach, the aftermarket one, after its preset, flashes a light when it hits that shift point that you set. so instead of paying attention to your dash board, you have all of your attention on the road.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:21 AM   #5
SceviourZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 438
What I Drive: '00 ZX3 CD Silver

FF Reputation: 1 SceviourZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
that beofre the light blinds you like a deer in headlights?
just playing man lol i always tease my friend in his little civic, dunno if you ever heard of the pharse "monster tach" well my friend tach is friggin 4inches in diameter. that's massive! and the ligt is 1-1/4 in diameter so when it comes on all you see is a big red glow in the car.

no offenece intended just joking around.

2000 Focus ZX3

T3/t03 Airsearch turbo, Custom Manifold,Downpipe,intercooler piping, Spearco Intercooler, Greddy Type-S BOV,Turbonetics Delta gate 35mm,Stainless Oil lines/fittings, FC 65mm TB, Ported 00 intake manifold, Port/Polished head, Rage Adj Camgears, Esslinger Undedrive Pulley, SVT Pedals, Short Shifter, KYB GR-2 Struts, AR 5 Spoke Chromies,Ventus Rubber, Tein Springs,Xenon bodykit, Hella Headlight conversion, kaminari Carbon Fiber Hood, Kaminari Rear Wing, Shorty Billet Antenna
Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Oh, OK.
So your using it like a shift light/the tach has the shift light built in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->