where is the radio fuse?!?!? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
jdBlack02zx3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 40226
FF Reputation: 1 jdBlack02zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
where is the radio fuse?!?!?

I have no power to the radio! Wheres the fuse for the radio located any1 have a pic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
remmargorp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25755
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 2 remmargorp Good Standing Member
In a 2005 Focus ZX3, the radio accessory fuse is located in the fuse box on the drivers side behind the small storage compartment. (Between this little storage area and the firewall of the car)

If I recall correctly it is the fuse in the far left middle row (7.5 amp fuse)
Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
jdBlack02zx3
Focus Rookie

The normal fuse panel right down by ur knee on the left?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
remmargorp
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by jdBlack02zx3
The normal fuse panel right down by ur knee on the left?
Yes.

That fuse is the accessory fuse for the radio (when the key is on, this fuse is hot).

When power is supplied to the accessory wire the head unit will power on and operate (with default settings), if this fuse is blown, the head unit will not power on.

There is probably another fuse for the constant hot wire connecting to the head unit. However, if this is blown, the settings on the head unit would reset every time the head unit is powered on. It should still power on if that fuse it blown.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
jdBlack02zx3
Focus Rookie

So What else could be wrong? It basically went wrong when i was mad and punched it one day....it just shut off n never turned back on so i bought a cheap one and rewired it....ill rewire the plug matchin up the colors but what else could be wrong? When i punched it maybe it pinched a wire ill check for that idk what else to do those....the instructions say the ground isnt grounded right.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
remmargorp
Focus Enthusiast

When something stops working and you're unable to precisely identify what caused it to stop working, it's usually better to find out how to get it to work, and go from there.

This is just something I would do, if you have the time.

- Take the "cheap" head unit out.
- Connect the ground to negative terminal on the battery
- Connect the positive wire(s) (red accessory and yellow constant) to the positive terminal on the battery

- If you can get the head unit to come on, it's not with the head unit, if the head unit does not come on, something is wrong with your head unit.

- If the head unit comes on check the accessory fuse for the radio (if you have a multi-meter check to see that you are getting power when the car is on at the fuse, if not, it's an issue with that particular accessory line, either at the fuse box or wherever it begins)

- If the fuse is good, check your wiring harness, make sure everything is right (if you have a multi-meter, check resistance for each connection you made in the harness to ensure that the connections are solid).

- If you have a multi-meter, check to see that you are getting voltage on the constant (typically yellow) wire on the factory harness with the car off. (If not, it is either the constant wire fuse, a loose/bad connection between harness connector and wherever that wire begins)

- Check to see you are getting voltage from the accessory wire from the factory harness when the car is on (if not, it could be the fuse, or in the wiring from the harness connector to the fuse panel)

If the head unit works (the external test), you have voltage at the accessories wire in the harness, you have voltage at the constant wire in the harness, then it is either with the harness itself (the one you put together that connects your head unit to the factory harness) or a bad ground.

Splice into the ground and make a solid connection to the body of the car (or anything in the dash that is grounded to the body).
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
remmargorp
Focus Enthusiast

I would suspect the wiring harness you made, possibly a bad/loose connection in one of the crimps or mis-matched wires.

A multi-meter is cheap ($15 at radio-shack), it will help you a lot (not just for this issue), I suggest getting one.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
jdBlack02zx3
Focus Rookie

Ok yeah thanks im going to get a meter and check all my connevtions...thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Safecracker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9738
What I Drive: 2005 Athens Silver 4-dr Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Safecracker Good Standing Member
Hi

Forgive me if it sounds too obvious, but one day I fell into a hole on the street with my Focus (holes are sooo common here) and my stock HU immediately stopped working. After checking wires, connections, etc... to no avail I noticed that the anti-theft panel (on my CDR4600N unit it contains the preset keys 2 through 6) was slightly popped out, so slightly I could hardly see it was out of place. I had to completely pop out and reinstall it for the HU to work again.

Just a thought, as you said you punched your radio...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
jdBlack02zx3
Focus Rookie

Haha sry 1 more ? Whats the lil picture on the fuse panel look like? I thought the radio was the lil R ? Is there a pic of a radio or something?

Bookmarks & Social Networks