Installing 5 1/4"s noob questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
UFO!
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 3073
What I Drive: 2004 Yellow ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 UFO! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Installing 5 1/4"s noob questions

I'm a noob when it comes to car audio, so I was hoping I could get some insight from some experienced Focus owners.

A friend gave me some a/d/s 5 1/4" components. I would like to replace my stock speakers with these. I have the stock Blau mp3 HU and from reading on here, it sounds like it wont be enough to power these speakers.

Can you hook up an amp to a stock HU?

Any tips on mounting 5 1/4s with tweeters in the stock 5x7 spot?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
you can do it but you have to make an adapter plate like so http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/230931/4 . componets running off a hu will sound just like a regualr coaxial speaker, if you want them to shine i'd suggest a 2 channel amp. but you'd need a LOC (line out converter) which gives the amp it's signal since the hu does not have preouts (which give a signal for the amp). davidnavone makes the best LOC's around, you'd need a 2 channel one. how much money would you want to spend total including shipping (if you did want to get an amp at all)? can suggest some things or if your happy with hu power that works too. but more power will give you more clarity, the blau hu puts out about 8 watts per channel, aftermarket hu's put out about 12 watts per channel, and an external amp can put out anything wattage you need.

- Scott
Old 03-27-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
UFO!
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the help.

I figure if I'm going to be putting in some decent speakers, I might as well make them sound as intended.

I have 2 sets of these components. The one set has a seperate tweeter and the other set has the adjustable tweeter in the center. So I would need a 4-ch amp I take it or 2 2-chs. I don't want to spend a whole lot, but also do not want to buy cheap stuff that will cause me problems.

If you have any suggestions, that'd be great!

Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

well a good LOC is about $20-$40 shipped, what a LOC actualy does is convert the signal going from the hu to the speakers you splice the wires and tap into them). i have the n-7 LOC from david navone that costs $40 shipped, i used it for a week before I got an aftermarket HU for free, it's been doing nothing since then, i'd sell it to you for $28 shipped if you are interested. it's in the same exact condition as the new ones sicne i've barely used it, that's the one i'd suggest if you can spare the money, otherwise they have a couple cheaper ones taht aren't as good but still quality build and won't break on you. shipping on that site is $5 flat.

for wiring i'd get the walmart 4 channel 4 gauge kit, it's cheap but it works perfectly. $25

how much are you looking to spend overall though? it would help me alot with what amp to suggest. those are some really nice speakes that you've got there, how the hell did you get them for free? i want friends like that. you must have had to pay him something.

- Scott
Old 03-27-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
UFO!
Focus Rookie

Lemme think about the line out converter.

I guess his wife was nagging him telling him he had to get rid of them before getting a new setup for his WRX. So I was doing him a favor. :) He did say he wanted $100 a set, which is still a good deal. But basically said, "Pay me whenever."

I dunno. I was thinking of spending $200-$250 at the most. I dont want to go too overboard. Need some money for engine mods :)
Old 03-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
"componets running off a hu will sound just like a regualr coaxial speaker"

You can't make a blanket statement that changing your speakers won't make a difference unless you change your HU or add an amp also!
There are HUGE sonic differences between different speaker brands and models. Those differences will be apparent no matter what you connect them to. The only problem with putting components on a standard power HU is how loud you can play them. Component speakers are usually less efficient and need more power to get loud enough for most people. Good quality speakers will also bring out deficiencies in the head unit, amp or even the recorded material you're listening to.
So, in conclusion, as long as your head unit isn't putting out audible distortion, improving your speakers will give you better sound.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

i agree DidHeFocus? but i'm suggesting to him quality stuff, so in almost every case more clean power is better as long as it's properly used (gains set correectly, no duncontrolable distortion, etc). To get the most of of those speakers i'd suggest anywhere from 100-200 watts. i don't know many amps that do that on 4 channel so i'd suggest amping only the front, but by doing that you won't have alot of power for your rears. you could get a small amp for it or just run them off the hu. you could sell those nice speakers for a good profit and put some cheaper rear fill spekaers in there like the cl-6x's from thezeb.com. you should have the fronts at a higher volume so you shoulnd't hear the rears anyway. the reason why you ssohlu dhave the fonts at a higher volume is beacuase if you have them all the same volume your imaging (where your brain percieves the sound coming from - you want it infront of you and ear level like a real concert or something like that) will be way off. this can be done when setting the gains. set the gains when your hu volume is about 1/2 (the hu volume you set your amp at will be what you want to keep it at when you listen to music. if you odn't know hat gains are or how to set them look at www.jlaudio.com and look at there tutorials and gain setting. anyway, my suggestion product and moeny wise is as follows:

LOC - $30-$40

wiring - $25

amp - jbl 80.4 from ebay (bridged to 2 channels - let me know if you don't know what that means) ~ $150

that's about $200 even. if you don't like this setup let me know and i could suggesst something else, let me know if you have any other questions also.

- Scott
Old 03-27-2004, 07:22 PM   #8
UFO!
Focus Rookie

Thanks Scott!

I appreciate the help.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 PM   #9
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
The original questions were pretty simple.
He wanted to hook up the components to his factory Blau/MP3 head unit but from what he heard, there wasn't enough power.
Even without an amp, it would definitely sound better than the stock speakers, it just won't be able to get as loud as he may want to and adapters are needed.
The second part was if he could connect an amp to the stock HU. The direct simple answer is yes, using an amp with high level inputs or a line level converter on an amp without high level inputs.

My future plans are to install 6.5 inch components in the front doors using only the factory Blau MP3 HU with no additional amp. As long as the components are close in sensitivity to what's in there now, they will sound fine. I personally would not add an amp using high-level inputs. In my experience using both, the low level is MUCH cleaner no matter what adapters you use.

When DVD-A and SACD HUs become available and affordable, I will then upgrade my Blau MP3.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

i am confused by when you said "I personally would not add an amp using high-level inputs. In my experience using both, the low level is MUCH cleaner no matter what adapters you use."

no comprendo. LOC "adatpers" make the signal into a low level signal which is carried through the RCA's. yes you can do high level inputs but the quality of the signal is gerneraly not as good as good.

- Scott

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->