CARB? Warranty? Help the noob please. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Regional Forums > South West Fanatics > Fanatics: SoCal

Fanatics: SoCal Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Southern California area

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
stuff1138
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 190082
What I Drive: 2014 SE Hatch 5spd Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 stuff1138 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
CARB? Warranty? Help the noob please.

Okay I just bought a 2014 Focus SE 5spd Hatchback two weeks ago. I'm enjoying it a lot but I have been spending some time bumming around the interwebs looking at performance parts. CAI's, exhaust, computer tunes, motor mounts etc.

What brought me to this forum in the first place was that there's only one CAI (the AEM) that has an EO# out there. I have read a few places that when it rains it can suck water up and stall the car because it's pointed towards the ground. This is less than ideal to say the least. Does anyone have a MkIII with the AEM installed in Socal? If so how do you like it? What kind of performance boost do you get (if any)? Does this void the warranty?

Also related to CAI. Is it just better to go buy a K&N Typhoon or Injen SP intake and then swap the factory air box back in when it comes time to actually have to smog the car? Won't it be 6 years before I finally have to actually smog the vehicle?

I've been reading several posts by a guy name Tom who seems to be have computer tunes for the Focus SE that will give moderate power gains and improve throttle response etc. Does this kind of thing prevent the car from being compliant with CARB regulations and passing smog tests? Does it void the warranty?

I understand as long as you're not effing around with the exhaust headers or changing out the cat you can get cat-back exhaust and be in line with CARB regulations. Is this correct?

I have seen several videos online and posts about swapping out the stock RMM in the Focus. Does this apply to the SE as well as the ST? Is swapping the RMM in the SE the same amount of labour and is it in the same place as it is on the ST?

Wow that's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff1138 View Post
Okay I just bought a 2014 Focus SE 5spd Hatchback two weeks ago. I'm enjoying it a lot but I have been spending some time bumming around the interwebs looking at performance parts. CAI's, exhaust, computer tunes, motor mounts etc.

What brought me to this forum in the first place was that there's only one CAI (the AEM) that has an EO# out there. I have read a few places that when it rains it can suck water up and stall the car because it's pointed towards the ground. This is less than ideal to say the least. Does anyone have a MkIII with the AEM installed in Socal? If so how do you like it? What kind of performance boost do you get (if any)? Does this void the warranty?
You will get a minor performance boost. a few horsepower, a better noise, and slightly better response times from your car.

It depends on the dealership you go to. It may not void your warranty unless they can prove that it was the cause. So in the case that your engine blows, you might be screwed. But if your radio stops working, the CAI isnt going to be Ford's get out of jail card.

Quote:

Also related to CAI. Is it just better to go buy a K&N Typhoon or Injen SP intake and then swap the factory air box back in when it comes time to actually have to smog the car? Won't it be 6 years before I finally have to actually smog the vehicle?
Up to you on that one. Those of us who install non-smog parts usually end up going the route of keeping stock parts, or borrowing them from a friend.

Quote:

I've been reading several posts by a guy name Tom who seems to be have computer tunes for the Focus SE that will give moderate power gains and improve throttle response etc. Does this kind of thing prevent the car from being compliant with CARB regulations and passing smog tests? Does it void the warranty?

No, his tune isnt illegal. In some cases, he can probably get better emissions by making your engine more efficient.

Quote:

I understand as long as you're not effing around with the exhaust headers or changing out the cat you can get cat-back exhaust and be in line with CARB regulations. Is this correct?
To some extent. While it may not be illegal under CARB view, there are very definitely noise laws that police can get you on. So long as you keep things moderate, you shouldn't have a problem.

Quote:

I have seen several videos online and posts about swapping out the stock RMM in the Focus. Does this apply to the SE as well as the ST? Is swapping the RMM in the SE the same amount of labour and is it in the same place as it is on the ST?

Wow that's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for any help.
Up to you. For daily driving, you really dont need to worry about it. If you plan on auto-xing or drag-racing, then its a worth-while investment. Also note that a stronger motor mount will transmit more engine vibrations into the cab. Some people like that (myself included) some people hate that.

Just keep in mind what the main purpose of your car is, and mod it for that use. It doesnt make sense to daily-drive a race car, nor does it make sense to race a luxury car. Find that happy medium that works for you.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 09-17-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
tallted
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113572
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tallted Good Standing Member
The RMM on the na focus is crap. You can buy race replacements, but most people get the mount from a focus electric and swap that in.
The ST shared this mount with the s, se and titaniums, but the extra torque from the turbo engine would break it, so ford had told techs to swap to the electric mount (thats how we foubd out it was better). Its like 50 bucks from the dealer.
As for an intake, you can remove the lid of your airbox to hear about what it will sound like. You have a cone air filter from the factory. You can get the same hp gains from.a snorkel delete and a drop in filter, just wont look as nice.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
stuff1138
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 190082
What I Drive: 2014 SE Hatch 5spd Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 stuff1138 Good Standing Member
Thank you very much ViperThreat all of that information is going to help me greatly to make decisions on what I end up doing in the way of modifications.

Tallted. Thank you as well. That's good info about the Focus Electric RMM. I was reading about the snorkel delete and drop in filter. I think I will probably just end up getting a CAI and swap it back to stock when the time comes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->