wrecked the focus, replaced with a volvo - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
wrecked the focus, replaced with a volvo

Well, after two and a half years, my focus has reached the end of its road for now. On September 29th, my soon to be wife and I closed on a house. The day after, we were moving some furniture over to the house, along with some painting supplies. We were rammed by an uninsured, unlicensed maniac in a Kia. Both he and his passenger were arrested and their brand new Kia towed away. Since I didn't have comp & collision on the car, I'm on my own with the car. (my comp & collision coverage kicked in the day after)

We came out of the situation physically unscathed, but pretty shaken emotionally. It's been over a week since the accident, but what an emotional roller coaster it has been. The car didn't fare as well as we did. I was able to get the car to the house from the scene of the wreck, but the car is in no shape to be used as a car. The power steering is gone, as is any semblence of maintaining control of the car. Doing burnouts was the only way to coax the car to go in the direction I wanted it to go. There was the loud crunching grinding sound, the burning smell, and the smoke coming from the front end. Needless to say, unless someone else is paying for this, I am not willing to fix the car right now.

I sold some computer equipment last week and managed to find myself a good inexpensive car - a 1989 Volvo 760 turbo sedan. Granted, it's 17 years old, has 191k miles on it, and has a few dents on the side, but for $500 (with a full service history) it was as good of a deal as I was going to get. Sadly, the 89 Volvo (that has been in PA since 89) and seen winters has less of an issue with rust than my 02 focus does (despite only being in PA since 2004).

I can't speak too ill of the focus, as it kept my fiancee and I safe from physical harm, which is all one can really hope for, but I'll be sticking with bigger, sturdier cars in the future. Hmmm, if I can get a sherman with leather and a sunroof, I'll be set. ;-)

As for the Volvo, I've owned three other variations of the 700 series over the years, but I still can't believe the car. The maneuverability of this huge car puts my old focus to shame. Now, handling isn't as crisp, but that's ok - this is a cruiser. A big comfortable car with every creature comfort imagineable. Since it's rear wheel drive, has the red block b230ft turbo engine (with water cooled garrett t3 - intercooler too), and an engine bay with more than enough room, I've got lots of options with this car. There's the v8 conversions from the folks at jags that run (chevy small blocks) or Converse engineering (ford 5.0 litre v8s - built one for letterman) www.converseengineering.com , turbo upgrades, engine computer upgrades, as well as the ability to pop in a later model volvo inline six and turbo that (cheaper to go the v8 route though), Should be great. Handling can be improved with some kits from iPD as well.

For now, it's a decent car and it's going to get the job done. Thanks for being there everyone. If the car gets rebuilt, I might stick around, if not - I may have some parts to sell.

MacBook Pro 15"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
MattZX3
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: 2012 Nero Black, Fiat 500 Sport

FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
can u post up some pics? id like to see whats salvagable.. or how bad it is...
Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Focistang85
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Man, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear about that. At least you and your fiance are okay. These foci take care in accidents, that's for sure. They crumple, but that's what keeps you safe. Good luck with the volvo.

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
karguy427
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Sorry to hear about your crash-em-up. I'm in auto insurance claims (car side, not injury side), so let me know if there are any ?? I can answer. I've never owned a Volvo, but at one time I was seroiusly thinking about getting a 7 series wagon and doing the Converse conversion. Love the idea of a sleeper V8 Volvo. I've never checked, but I've been wondering if they've put a kit together for the 4.6 cammer V8 rather than the 5.0?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Yeah, believe it or not the Focus handles really well in most accidents. Most people buy into the misconception that these compacts are automtically deathtraps. But that's far from the truth.

I lost my first ZX3 Focus (2002) around January 11. It was night time, slightly rainy weather, and I was going uphill towards an intersection with stop signs. This was when I was driving my new girlfriend (at the time) back to her house, so I was completely unfamiliar with the area. Across the street from me there was a car that stopped right after I reached the intersection. To my left I saw another pair of headlights coming up the hill, from the intersecting street. The car across from me wanted to make a turn in front of me. This aggravated me a bit, since I was the first one to reach the intersection, so I gently tap the gas to let him know I had the right of way. He stopped.

Well, little did I know that these headlights to my left were from a Ford Econoline van, owned by some plumbing business or something, and that the intersection was not a 4-way stop sign intersection as I had initially thought (it was hard to tell in the dark). I gently roll forward towards the center of the intersection, and from the corner of my eye I could see that the headlights of the van was getting closer and closer. I could've sworn it was going to stop, because it got slower and slower as it reached the intersection. But apparently it didn't. Next thing I knew, I had taken the full blow of the van on my driver side door, which was probably doing about 25 MPH.

My initial thought after the accident was, "WTF?! Why didn't that moron stop at the intersection?" I hit my head against the driver side window and bounce back into my seat, luckily wearing my seatbelt as I always do. My girlfriend, being lighter, was tossed around a little more but remained unharmed as well. The Focus, unfortunately was totalled. The front driver side wheel well area had completely caved in, my door was dented and jammed, my side mirror was gone, and the windshield and side window had cracked just a little bit. And despite being hit by a van from the side, the cabin area did not cave in as I thought it would. The interior remained spotless.

In the end my insurance said the accident was my fault, which I admit it was... but I was excused from a police ticket because that particular intersection has been known for some time to be very deadly. They continue to have many accidents every year, and yet they haven't done anything about it. Anyway, with this experience I can say that the Focus is generally a very safe car to drive in. It's one of the reasons why I got another one. They might crumple and damage a little more easily in accidents with larger vehicles, but if that's what it has to do to save the life of my passenger and me, so be it. The accident to this day still haunts me once in a while, and at times I still get very depressed thinking about it. But at the very least I'm alive to even be thinking about it.

So iantm, I'm sorry to hear about your accident and your loss as well. I've got a pretty good idea of what you went through. Although I can't imagine what it must be like to be hit by someone who wasn't covered by insurance. But like me you were fortunate enough to live through it. All I can say is hang in there and things will eventually get better for you. After my accident I was stuck with driving around in a beater 1995 Nissan Maxima all year (with worn out leather seats and no AC in the summer), until I finally got enough money to finance another Focus (which I still owe tons of money for). Still, I'm happy I'm not stuck paying $53/week to run that car on premium gas.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #6
avengerc4
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(

Fan#: 493
What I Drive: 02 PWorks SVTF, 2014 Subaru Outback

FF Reputation: 4 avengerc4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I am sorry about the accident, but I must say as everyone else has the focus does hold up well. My friends son got hit by a van and got hit so hard the wheel broke off the car and flew into a field never to be found again. believe it or not but my old wheel is gone. I sold him those and was thinking about getting them back, but now cannot...boo...anyways the roof was collapsed a bit and you could see the crash bar in the door but everyone was ok (him and his one passenger in the pass seat). Wearing seatbelts of course.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Silas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37971
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 4 Silas Good Standing Member
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I currently own a Volvo 740 GL, b230F engine in it...origional with 400,000 km's...runs great. except i beat the hell outta the suspension... I love these old cars.

You should really check up on the V8 conversion kit... this site is about one guy who put the 302 into his car, the carb'd model...some good tips though you may have already seen it.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord/

Good luck with the volvo, i love them...and am also looking on doing the 8 Conversion or sticking in a 88+ B280F engine and adding a turbo, if you do manage to do it fine, keep in touch! Thanks.

SEDAN REVOLUTION #14
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
bacarl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31588
What I Drive: 05 InfraRed ST-T

FF Reputation: 5 bacarl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally posted by iantm
There's the v8 conversions from the folks at jags that run (chevy small blocks) or Converse engineering (ford 5.0 litre v8s - built one for letterman) www.converseengineering.com
THOSE ARE AWESOME

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->