Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tint Question (Your Help Requested Please!)

1K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  CrazyMatt 
#1 ·
All right.. Happy Belated holidays to one and all.

Now that we have that out of the way here is my question.

For Christmas, I got a gift certificate from my parents to get my car tinted. I live in Wisconsin.

Obviously, I am super excited about this.

My question to all of you..... should I wait and have the tinting done in the spring or when it gets warmer out, or would it be ok to get it done the second or third week in January?

I have no idea about the inner workings of the tint process, so I am asking my questions here.

Thanks for your help everyone!

#3 ·
^^^^ya. it doesnt realy matter when you do it...apart from the sooner the better. but be prepared not to open your window for a day or two, realy depends on how sunny or warm it is. by the way thats a pretty cool present.

#4 ·
[thumb] nice present, I would do it now since you really don't put your windows down during the winter anyways...

#5 ·
Everyone is telling me that.... I heard that its a week before you can roll your windows down...

Wanna hear soemthing that sucks? Having a key-operated garage door (apartment building) and a card-opereated parking garage (the work). So, I have to get out of the car anyways.... *laughs*

#6 ·
i have always tinted my vehicles in the summer. that way the sun can bake the moisture out from between the film and glass. dont know if it helps any, but i cannot find one bubble on any window. and the guy told me 3 days before i can roll my windows down, but i waited a week. im just like that though. another thing. it is VERY advisable to take your door panels off before you take it in. this way they can get the film as far down and in the corners as possible. trust me. they had my car for over 8 hours. come to find out they dont take the panels off.....so i had them redo it for free after i took the panels off. but hey thats just a tip.[thumb]

#7 ·
scrammer said:
and the guy told me 3 days before i can roll my windows down, but i waited a week. im just like that though.
yeah same here.. 3 days before i could roll it down.. an a week before i can clean em.. i waited like 2 weeks.. (never had a car tinted before. lol)

#8 ·
I heard it's better to do it when it's above freezing... I mean they do SOAK the windows in a watery-glue solution. Now if the garage/tint shop is heated it's probably less important, but then you're drivnig around...

I'd wait til Spring. I mean people don't often drive around with all windows down when it's 50 out anyway. And your situation sucks a little, but the cost of opening the door and hopping out for a sec will be OK when you see the car in its tinted glory.

I think my tint place said 48 hours from when I picked it up, don't roll the windows down. At like 36 hours I was getting a parking ticket (on the way into a lot) and had just hit the Down button, I freaked and tapped it back up after about 2", and I was terrified that I'd ruined it... my first tinted car too. Of course it's fine now, but I felt like a moron, especially since this lot had a person giving you the ticket, not a machine [?|]

#9 ·
I'm afraid I will do that exact thing, Amanda... *chuckles* I'm going to have to put duct tape over my window buttons... to discourage myself.. hehe.

#12 ·
Thanks for the tape idea, Amanda....

Damn.. That Bunny is getting around these days... I remember when I used to see him on one or two sigs.. now he really IS taking over the world!

#14 ·
actually that does make alot of sense, theres alot of moisture between the film and the window....i wouldnt be surprised if it freezes out in the cold and im sure it wouldnt be good for the tint. Wait till it gets warmer out so you have no worry's.

#17 ·
I would think that the warmer it is the better for getting your windows tinted. The tint definitely likes the warm sun to dry out the tinting process. I live in Ca. so not sure how the freezing weather will affect the tint. I didn't use my windows for 3 days in about 75 degree sunny weather to complete the process.

#21 ·
a proper and professional tinter will heat the tint to remove almost all moisture with a gun. They tell you 48 hours in case a corner might have slightly came off, then it has time to at least adhere so it doesnt pull off when you roll down. It really doesnt matter when you get it done...both winter and summer have their disadvantages to tinting, not just winter. The sooner you get it the happier you'll be, trust me.

#22 ·
tint those windows stat...!!!!

Time of yr doesn't matter......just don't let those windows down, tape over the switches.......and I think its 3-5 days......I usually wait a week.

But I just recalled its usually summer for mine...........or spring when I get that itch and get a new vehicle. But spring here is 80+ so same thing.......but in summer, I would think it would dry faster, but if they use a heat gun to make it expand for adhesion and moisture, then it doesn't matter too much.

#23 ·
Here in Wisconsin however, our winters, springs, and summers differ greatly.. *chuckles*

I have not got the car tinted yet... My work schedule kinda sucks for anything I want to do during normal business hours..... But.. SOON!

#25 ·
Amanda.. the new wipers I put on.... they are the BOMB dot COM!

I LOVE them... incredibly easy install... the blades are clean, and I noticed the difference just spritzing the washer fluid over the windshield and enabling the wipers.

I'd recommend the SilBlade wipers to anyone... plus the come in different colors... I got black wiper housings (very lightweight too), and yellow blades! I love them!

WOO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.