Idle Air Control Valve? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
shwbshaw1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118901
What I Drive: 2000, red, focus

FF Reputation: 1 shwbshaw1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
iac valve

The idle air control valve is directy under the throttle body between the firewall and the engine. Its kinda hard to find but if you have an idea what you're looking for you shouldn't have a problem. I found one online, free shipping for the low cost of $28. I had already ordered it and was prepared to replace it when I noticed the pcv hose that connects to the lower part of the intake was collapsing in the elbow right before it hooks to the intake. I decided to replace that before going through the headache of replacing the iac valve. As my luck would have it, none of the local autopart stores had one and it would take a week to get one from them. I decided to look online and found one for $13, it just arrived today along with the tps (throttle position sensor). I am starting with the pcv hose, then the throttle position sensor (I got for $8 online) and then moving to the iac valve. I am hoping that one of these will cure my problem. Btw, this is my daughters car and she had been complaining of it running rough. After looking over the car I came to the conclusion that the bad motor mounts and transmission mount was causing quite a vibration and that was what contributed to her rough running. I replaced all of the mounts very easily and thought it was fixed. My daughter then tells me the car stalls on her at stops, then she says when she goes into a turn and lets off the fuel that it stops while driving it. This is what led me to the iac valve to begin with. I will find out tomorrow if what I ordered fixes the car. Of course after all the symptoms were verified I decided on where to start. Now that I have been reading up on these cars I think I should have it fixed after replacing what I have gotten. I am afraid if these components doesn't work, I will be forced to drop the fuel tank and replace the pump. Its just weird that it is so random when it acts up, never on a schedule so to say........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
shwbshaw1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118901
What I Drive: 2000, red, focus

FF Reputation: 1 shwbshaw1 Good Standing Member
If you have the 2.0 ztec motor, the iac is located below the throttle body.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #33
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
hi and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwbshaw1 View Post
I am starting with the pcv hose, then the throttle position sensor (I got for $8 online) and then moving to the iac valve. I am hoping that one of these will cure my problem.
that's a good strategy, and if you've eyeballed the collapsed hose, then a new one should indeed fix the stall/rough idle problem, although it wouldn't be impossible for the IAC to also need cleaning/replacement. (BTW - if that TPS is new, then it might only work on a manual transmission; if you have an ATX, then use the forum search box to learn more about replacing the TPS.)

Quote:
I came to the conclusion that the bad motor mounts and transmission mount was causing quite a vibration and that was what contributed to her rough running.
for many old vehicles on this forum, chassis vibration is a combination of rough idle + bad mounts, so you're probably on the right track. Although, when you say "thought it was fixed", it's not clear if you mean the vehicle still shakes or still stalls. Obviously, new mounts won't fix the latter.

Quote:
I will be forced to drop the fuel tank and replace the pump. Its just weird that it is so random when it acts up, never on a schedule so to say.
not weird at all - the IAC/PCV warm-stall problem is intermittent. Although, so can be a fuel pump/filter issue; cross that bridge after you've flushed the current job pipeline.

Quote:
I found one online, free shipping for the low cost of $28.
Just an FYI - many folks here have had bad luck with aftermarket IAC and motor mounts. They're some of the few things that we recommend expensive Motorcraft replacements for.

Bookmarks & Social Networks