Focus Fanatics Forum banner

NO indicator for winshield wiper fluid

49K views 212 replies 76 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Ti fully loaded

This thing has the most advanced MFT system and it parks it's self, but had no indicator for windshield fluid what gives?

#183 ·
I'd like to know why the washer fluid tank was designed to hold just short of a gallon.

When you do run out and have to buy some, they don't sell it by the quart. You buy a full gallon, and the car won't hold it all.

Is this so that I can always have a tiny amount left in a loose gallon container slopping around in my trunk/hatch? I'd rather not have that... so I usually just throw it away or dump it in the squeegee buckets near the gas pumps. Whichever option I choose, I always curse the engineer who fitted the car with a 103 ounce washer solvent tank.

#184 ·
Every car I've ever had as I can recall...which is a lot of cars...has always a reservoir that's short of a full gallon.

#188 ·
I just got the car in decemeber and with all the bells and whistles I was kind of suprised it didn't have the washer fluid indicator. MY 2006 car has it. I don't think I'd be upset as much if they didn't mention it in the manual.

I tend to use my fluid a lot here in PA so having indication would be nice. Maybe we'll get it in a future update in the information window?

#191 ·
TSB
12-4-13 LOW WASHER SOLVENT WARNING MESSAGE MAY NOT DISPLAY ON VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/14/2012

Publication Date: April 30, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 1/14/2012 may not display the low washer solvent message as detailed in the Owner's Guide.
Looks like you have a 2013 which this would not cover....strange that they are still having this problem.

Or do 2013's even have this option anymore?

#193 ·
This has been mentioned over and over again. It's not an indicator like that. It comes up on the screen.

#196 ·
My june 2012 built 2012 SE without MFT, but with sync just lit up the low washer fluid level display last night. I have to admit, I was kind of excited after following this thread for a long time. The car has not been to the dealer since delivered, so it came set up for it. The randomness of this kind of thing is frustrating.

#197 ·
Just got the TSB applied to my 2012 Ti after running out the other week and not getting the warning message. Folks at the desk seemed to be surprised about this TSB existing (and based on their conversation with each other they seemed to initially think that the car wouldn't give the warning - they were preoccupied with whether or not I was expecting there to be a dummy light on the dash).

Will wait and see what happens next time the fluid is low.

#201 ·
I'm glad to hear that your dealer helped you out, NorthernFocalPoint! Let us know if the warning message pops up in the future; keep in mind I'm always here to help if you need me.

Crystal

#206 ·
So, I'm not sure my dealer applied the update in the TSB or did it incorrectly. Was driving back over the long weekend here, waiting for the indicator to come on because I was using quite a bit on the bugs but never got a warning, so figured I must still have quite a bit in the reservoir.
At the service station, I filled up the gas tank, squeegeed the windshield and then was driving off to get back on the highway when I decided to give it one more spray/wipe.

No fluid and no warning. Quickly pulled over while still at the service station grounds and filled the empty reservoir.

I guess my dealer being surprised that there was an update and having to attempt programming the MFT system 3x because they said it kept rebooting was probably a sign that they were going to do it wrong.

#207 ·
I had my low fluid warning fixed at my last oil change (6K miles ago). I had to tell them about the TSB but they got it done. It feels like they did the "tip in" for the throttle also because I don't have to be as careful with the clutch as I did before.

The warning comes on a few seconds after you start the car, not a dummy light. Great big message and accompanying "ding!". I got 5 or 6 windshield washes (front and back) after the warning. Never did run out before I refilled.

#212 ·
Well that explains everything. I got a Nasty surprise one day when mine ran out! No chime, no indicator, no nothing! I never knew it was a TSB....now I know that they don't perform TSBs unless you ask for them. My transmission works and doesn't grind, etc. so I don't want them touching it now.

ON SECOND THOUGHT: I just got my Criuse Control fixed....I'll survive as I always carry extra Fluid with me anyway. It seems like the taks is smaller than previous Foci. My 2007 was a bottomless pit and could take almost 2 standard jugs!

#213 ·
now I know that they don't perform TSBs unless you ask for them. My transmission works and doesn't grind, etc. so I don't want them touching it now.
Not necessarily true. I've known people to take a car in for an oil change and the dealer ran the VIN and found and ran a TSB for them.

That said, I'm not sure that I would be worried about taking the car in and telling them you JUST wanted the WW Fluid TSB done and not to mess with the tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.