Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT Focus Clutch

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  lmcd314 
#1 ·
Well finally was able to get the clutch installed. Went ahead and changed the Clutch with the Luk Full replacement kit that included the new bigger clutch and new Dual Mass flywheel and I love how it feels. While in their we replaced the Rear main seal as well with a new ford unit. Replaced all of the motor mounts the 2 top mounts were replaced with Ford pieces and the lower was down with the energy suspension bushings. Then we replaced the output shaft seals on the transmission and filled it up with new fluid from ford. Went ahead and replaced the 2 front struts with Bilstein factory replacements and the Strut mounts were also replaced with Moog Units. Finally replaced the Lower control arms with new Moog Units they came with new bushings and ball joints. Here are a few of the pictures of the old worn out old style clutch. Notice all the stress cracks in the pressure plate and how close I was to the rivets on the clutch disk.

Ok going to post pictures of the clutch need to get them hosted.

#3 ·
Put them on photobucket. Then once uploaded to photobucket copy the img link and then paste in here. Then you're done.

I wanna get the moog replacement lca's but swap the bushings with prothane ones. Have a set of agx adjustables struts/shocks coming soon. Will need new top mounts then as well. Was also thinking maybe new moog tie rod end links just to help freshen up the front suspension while I'm there. Would also then pop in the new Eibach front swaybar I have and the new complete SVT front brake conversion I have.

#4 ·
ah no pics? You need to use a image hosting site like Donald says. Glad to hear it feels great. I'm just waiting on my flywheel to get here then its on like donkey kong! [headbang]

Donald the KYB upper strut mounts were cheaper than the moog ones on Rockauto [screwy] so those are the ones I got to go with AGX's

#9 ·
** Brought you into the SVT Performance area **

Very nice job man. You are definitely taking care of the SVTF.

As for the pictures, yeah, I think Photobucket is easy and good enough for just showing off these mechanic shots.

If you guys want to get into technical about quality and such with photos, Flickr is one of the best for a free online photo set up.

Ray

#13 ·
The reason for suggesting imgur over photobucket is because photbucket is constantly purging pictures from their servers. There are literally hundreds of threads on here where people have uploaded their photos to photobucket which then got purged and now the only thing you can see is the blank placeholder graphic that says photobucket removed that image.

As long as pictures uploaded to imgur get at least one view every 6 months they will never be purged.

#10 ·
Well last night a friend of mine driving my car went from 4 to 2nd and blew up the motor. I am bummed out. It killed the oil pump and waisted the motor. I do not know what I am going to do. Looking for Ideas on how to get the car back on the road quickly. What Motor options do I have??

#18 ·
WHAT!?! Man I really hope your joking..but I have a feeling your not since you don't joke around with stuff like that.. I'm so sorry to hear this happen. That was one of the cleanest motors I have ever seen, it even had a plaque on it saying it was from ford. Keep the motor and try to rebuild it if you can. How trashed is it?

#11 ·
damn man that is a bad news, I hope you won't trash the car over it.
you gonna rebuild engine or buy other one? there is one motor for sale in houston

#16 ·
that sucks Tim.. sorry to hear that.
i downshift from 5th to 3rd sometimes, but thats only putting it into 5k(ish) for a freeway launch.
usually, i just stick with a single gear drop.

when i first got it.. i had a buddy that downshifted from 4 to 2... and it scared the shit out of me...

hopefully its a relatively easy fix..

#17 ·
I had a customer on a test drive downshift from 4th to 1st in a Cobra replica, how he got it into gear I don't know, but it sucked the top of the piston right off midway through the wrist pin.

#19 ·
I may add that I know of good machine shop here in Houston. Not cheap, but really good. They do many rebuilds for us and all our mechanics are very happy with quality of their work.

#20 ·
Just like Paul, I am interested to hear how bad of shape is your engine.

Will it try to turnover at all?

As for machine shops, the one I went to when I rebuilt my motor was in Paul's neck of the woods. He recommended a great shop in Richmond, TX and these guys where great, very knowledge and since it was a small shop, they were very very reasonable priced.

I will tell you ... they rebuild my top end for under $325! I was excited. I then put that on my block myself. Took about 7-8 hours of home DIY time. But well worth it.

** Knock on wood ** 1.5 years of AutoX and the SVT still runs strong.

I have an extra engine ... but I want to rebuild it as a backup.

Good luck in anything you decide Tim. And I heard you were thinking about going back up North. Well, hopefully you come and hang at least once more before you head out bud.

Ray

#21 ·
Damn i might need everything u did but the clutch soon :( the whole front end clunks on every little bump i take. Was ur doing this too?

Sucks about the engine. Thats why i dont let any one drive my car! He should pay for it. Tell him to be ready to give u $2500

#22 ·
clunks could be sway bar end links.. sway bar bushings.. strut mount top mounts..
or rack and pinion

#24 ·
yeah could be motor mounts. tie rods too...

also sometimes the axles.. i just replaced mine not too long ago.. i think mine is the sway bar bushing/passenger side end link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.