Ford cuts price of 2014 electric Focus by 10 percent - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #11
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94292
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Federal tax credits help subsidize the cost for the consumer as well.

The person who buys an electric vehicle probably wasn't cross shopping a regular Focus anyhow. Electric cars are still a "statement vehicle" so pure economics isn't the primary decision maker. They also have perks depending on where you live, in CA you can use the carpool lane by yourself, so if you live or work in L.A. that alone may save 2 hours of drive time per day.
Only americans buy vehicles to try to use it as a statement in attempt to show their care about the environment, or any other cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94292
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
"Cheap" and "Electric" don't go hand-in-hand.

As of right now, all electric cars are being sold at a loss. Tesla is pricing their vehicles appropriately and is still bleeding money.

The batteries and electric drive systems of these cars alone cost tens of thousands of dollars. Nevermind the costs of the rest of the components that make it a full-featured car.

Hybrids are more profitable for manufacturers and it is more likely that hybrid systems will be in the majority of passenger cars within the next few years as battery technology is improved and costs are reduced. In fact, Subaru is releasing a "hybrid" Crosstrek later this year that proves it. The batteries are small and the electric motor is only good for 13hp. This improves mileage without the outrageous production costs or adverse effects of heavy electrical components.

It will be many years before there is a full-featured electric car that has a 200+ mile range for less than $30k
And btw from wiki:

The company is also planning to introduce a Tesla model known as BlueStar or third-generation car that will "be an Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class type of vehicle that will offer everything: range, affordability, and performance with a starting price of US$30,000" that is targeted towards the mass-market.[109] Other projects under discussion include an electric truck and a self-driving car.[110]
Old 07-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #13
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post
Only americans buy vehicles to try to use it as a statement in attempt to show their care about the environment, or any other cause
Everybody else just uses bumper stickers?

Prius drivers are not much different from any other self-imposed social category that a consumer tries to portray as his/her image to the world via their car. If you want to make generalizations about Prius, Corvette, or other car owners:

I drive a truck because I am a real man.
I drive a Subaru wagon because I am sporty and outdoorsy.
I drive a Lincoln because I am successful, and can appreciate the finer things.
I drive an electric car because I care so much about the environment.
(if you ever see any advertising, that's the basic message, people buy it)

motorcycles buyers are even worse

Bookmarks & Social Networks