Leaky valve cover gasket - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,342, Level 20
Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
Only someone taking an amateur approach to wrenching would not own both torque wrenches...Absolutely, the danger is overtightening. Use of the correct torque wrench will prevent that
amateur?? danger??!

lol, if a man needs an instrument to tell him when a valve cover is sufficiently tightened, then maybe he should consider a less demanding pursuit, like gardening or Scrabble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,856, Level 71
Points: 11,856, Level: 71 Points: 11,856, Level: 71 Points: 11,856, Level: 71
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Scrabble??? (Chuckles...)

To put a different note on this, I'd mention that it can be "fun" to do precision work - even if not absolutely necessary it can feel good to get things just right....

And developing the "feel" to get it close without precision tools generally only comes after quite a few broken pieces & jobs that don't work out too well...

Love the "Beam Type" torque wrenches for this reason, they help develop "feel" & show what's happening as things tighten up - something you don't get from the "click type" ones. PLUS click type torque wrenches are supposed to be calibrated on occasion, something that's seldom done....

Cheers!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #23
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
I didn't buy the inch pound wrench to tighten plastic valve covers down, I bought it way before Ford ever started putting plastic valve covers on Zetec's.

And yes, absolutely, if your going to take an amateur approach to this, you will refuse to buy a tool costing less than $20 that in some jobs is really a requirement.

The point was that you should have this in your toolbox already. And if your going to own it, and not use it when you have a job like this that is so obviously suited for it, then are you trying to prove something or what?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #24
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 233, Level 4
Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4 Points: 233, Level: 4
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Krist0ina,

Your car has a different engine, probably best to start a new thread - also your pictures aren't showing.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #25
makuloco2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34231
What I Drive: 01' Focus LX

Points 3,105, Level 34
Points: 3,105, Level: 34 Points: 3,105, Level: 34 Points: 3,105, Level: 34
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 makuloco2000 Great Standing Member
Heres a video dude of how to fix it!

Found a great video on youtube, pretty detailed. Made me allot more confident when I did mine. Just an FYI.
http://youtu.be/yfgXTSISBVE
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #26
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,195, Level 34
Points: 3,195, Level: 34 Points: 3,195, Level: 34 Points: 3,195, Level: 34
Level Up 97% Completed
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Forum Activity 54%
Activity: 54% Activity: 54% Activity: 54%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
' I disagree strongly with the hand-tight advice here. Absolutely, the danger is overtightening.'

Your call. I can tell a smart enough person that won't have problems.

My point is that when they design a part that clearly is meant to hit solid you don't really need the wrench if competent. If the part compressed to some arbitrary number that had to be held close then you wouldn't see wasted engineering to make a solid hit there,and the bolts would be ordinary parts. The bolts are flat shouldered, that is your clearcut indicator of when to stop tightening. Another is how easy the bolts twist in two, they are simply made to hit and stop and are not normal hardened bolts at all. Cheaper to make, the install at factory will be cheaper too, they can continue running cars down the line even if the worker's torque tool fails. Stopping that assembly line is super expensive.

Earlier Ford stuff used steel distance setting rings that you had to pull and reuse, if not you had no idea of a stopping point and generally overtorqued the gasket to leak badly even without hitting the number yet, you had to hit solid on the ring to get that number or with no ring the gasket compressed into squished out pieces first.

I grew up on '60s cheap aluminum casted motorcycles, if you didn't learn to feel bolt stretch or thread give fast you didn't ride much at all. Been so long since I stripped out a bolt I can't remember doing it. I don't torque anything except head, mains, rods, flywheel, maybe one or two other parts, I can pretty much tell by looking whether part really needs it. Much of that also on high output drag engines. Of course I forget others do not have that experience, my bad.

I've seen some factory torques that are out to lunch, if you go to them you will quickly tear up your stuff, had this trouble with Honda before, the number given was too high and 4 of 10 times you pulled threads before hitting it. They DO make mistakes.

I've got 3 inch pound beam wrenches, I do not like click wrenches at all. I use them when I feel the need but not with every chance that pops up. Of course I ALWAYS use one when setting bearing preload/rollover torques...........

Old school and new school, amen, brother.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
Lecky
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102721
What I Drive: Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec, Blue, 1999

FF Reputation: 1 Lecky Good Standing Member
Sorry only just got back to you guys.

Thank you for all your info its helped me out alot. Feel alot more confident doing the job myself now and will keep you guys posted.

Cheers lads

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.