Focus Fanatics Forum banner

'12 Focus Exhaust Tones

12K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Sonic_HedgeHog 
#1 ·
Being that I'm coming from a 5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum in my Dodge Ram (and most likely going with a Focus), one thing I'm going to miss is the exhaust (flowmaster delta 40). Are the only exhaust options for the Focus the really loud, buzzing noises, aka "fart cans"? Or is there a way (which exhaust manufacturer) to have a throaty/mean sounding exhaust? I realize its 4 less cylinders and liters of displacement, but the question still stands.

#3 ·
#4 ·
There is supposedly a law that says and warranty related defects can't be voided unless the modification is the cause of the problem. So you should be fine. I did have my focus in for warranty work twice with intake, exhaust, lowering springs/shocks and various other mods installed. No issues.

Performance should be better. A good exhaust kit may gain you a few horsepower. Nothing very noticeable at all. Of course the car will be louder. Gas mileage may decrease if you find yourself putting your foot down more because of it.

#8 ·
The Focus has a much deeper exhaust note than say a Honda Civic SI. I have a FSWerks Race Exhaust. I think it has an excellent tone. But it is loud for some people. I think a Ford Racing Exhaust or Borla Exhaust (same thing), would work for you because it has a deep tone without being loud. There is also a Flowmaster kit out, I have never heard it myself so I can't comment on it. Magnaflow also has a kit out, but its a bit raspy in my opinion.

#10 ·
I've had the FSWerks race exhaust and CAI on my 2012 since January. It's definitely loudish when you're getting on it, and there is a pretty good drone at the 2,500-3,500 rpm range on the freeway, when tapping, or letting off the gas. I'm seriously considering adding the FSW stealth muffler.

There are a couple of good vids on you tube, one race system on a white 2012 hatch at FSW, and one stealth system filming down at the exhaust as the car drives.

I traded my Mustang GT for my Focus, DEFINITELY NOT the same beautiful v8 sound, but I would recommend the sound of the FSWerks.

#11 ·
The glasspack experiment is almost over Im switching to a dynomax vt muffler. In theory there should be no drone or exhaust noise unless you get on it and blow open the flapper open.... Cool concept i hope it works as advertised.

#16 ·
Dang ! Yours is exactly like I wanted mine...I wasn't able to find a silver Ingot hatchback back in november '11...had to ''settle'' for a SEL Sedan. Looks like you and I are neighbors in St-Constant. I'd like to hear yours one day, if possible.

#24 ·
I got to say I like it a lot. Is the MagnaFlow from their website or you mod it ?

For everyone else, here is how sounds SlappyGT Focus.

#28 ·
#29 ·
No i dont have that, the garage owner propose that to me. at this time, i'm not realy sure but i try his proposal, and i realy satisfied of this. The only thing i know, that is a 2,25 inchs muffler for a Camaro. When i go to this garage, i was thinking to install a Trush muffler (same than a dynamax), and he said that the Camaro muffler would be better, and also better for the look !

#32 · (Edited)
First let me say the camaro muffler with dual exit is awesome looking...I love it. Just some information for the performance minded people out there. I'm not sure what brand muffler the camaro muffler is, but if it's a OEM replacement this is what it looks like inside. They are known to be pretty restrictive, probably not anymore restictive than our stock muffler, but maybe provide a little bit of extra sound because of dual outlet. If the inlet is 2.25 it sounds like a OEM type muffler and not an aftermarket performance muffler (they are usually 2.5) Here is a site with part numbers for that style of camaro muffler in the 2.25 OE style muffler (I believe this is it). I really like the dual setup of Rick47 it's sharp.

this could be a 1998 muffler as well they give differnt part numbers for 1996-1997 and 1998 but they both look the same maybe differnt lengths or hangar locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.