Battery indicator lamp illuminates a few seconds after starting engine. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Blown 331
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72086
What I Drive: 2000 maroon ZX3, 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Blown 331 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Battery indicator lamp illuminates a few seconds after starting engine.

I have a 2000 ZX3 DOHC. Monday morning I started the car and when I got to the end of the driveway the battery light came one. I grabbed a volt meter and read 14.7 volts. So I hopped in the truck and went to work.
When I got home it was reading 15.1 volts.
So Tuesday on my way home from work I grabbed a reman alternator from Orilley. After installing I had 14.4 volts and the light came back on. I drove it about a mile then had 14.2 volts but light still coming on. I started the car with headlights and AC already on and had 13.7 volts and the light still comes on. The light comes on after the car has been running for about 20-30 seconds. I checked voltage drop on the cable from the battery to alternator- none. Cleaned the terminals and tried a different battery. Light still on. Voltage stays steady when revving the engine.
We have alldata at work and the only cause of overcharging it lists is a bad alternator but is it possible I need a PCM reprogram? Or maybe I got another bad alternator. The 14.2 volts doesn't sound bad to me, I'm tempted to put a volt gauge on it and run it! lol. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

Points 6,367, Level 52
Points: 6,367, Level: 52 Points: 6,367, Level: 52 Points: 6,367, Level: 52
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 44%
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%
FF Reputation: 24 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Redo all of your grounding points. Especially the battery ground under the air box. Take them down to metal reattach and cover with dielectric grease. Take a good look at the cables as well. Does the Alternator pigtail look good?

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,204, Level 35
Points: 3,204, Level: 35 Points: 3,204, Level: 35 Points: 3,204, Level: 35
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 57%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
14 to 15 volts is OK. You mention nothing of belt or tensioner condition, either one could cause your light issue. Look close at the alt pigtail right where wires enter it, they commonly fray and break, you're not broke yet but could have like half broken wire.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.