Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How is the ST on the highway?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  bigdesignmachine 
#1 ·
Looking for real world experience on our crappy north american roads. I'm in colorado and some of the roads have gigantic potholes and lots of cross winds are a daily occorence. Is the new focus quite on the highway? Is the suspension bumpy on uneven surfaces? I know its a sport tuned suspension but I'm looking for something that has the best of both worlds. From the reviews the ST does get fairly close to that. So lets hear what the real user experience has to say?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I live in upstate NY and we too have crappy roads. I think road noise is fairly quiet for a sports car. It's about the same or better as a titanium. I had mine under coated too so that helps a lot. The ride isn't that harsh but you can def tell its been sport tuned but I like it. It soaks up bumps fairly well but it does like to skip across those wonderful frost heaves on the highway.

#4 ·
Go to your dealer and ask them for an extended test drive. I did that down here in Austin, TX where the roads aren't great either. Wind noise in an ST is about as quiet as a Titanium. However, tire and road noise is a little more pronounced in the ST. Also, the ST is more bouncy or bumpy on the road, due to its stiffer sports tuned suspension. You can definitely feel the difference over rough roads but it's not bad.

I use the GTI, Mazdaspeed3 and ST when I compare highway noise and cabin NVH in performance hatches. The GTI is the most comfortable on rough roads and quietest at highway speeds. The Mazdapspeed3 is the bumpiest and loudest at highway speeds. The ST is somewhere between those two. Each have their own charming qualities but overall, I prefer the balance of the ST.

#5 ·
I have no complaints about road noise or bumps when it comes to the ST. I came from a lowered SVT and a very low BMW so comparing those to the ST makes it seem like I'm on a cloud, ha ha.

#6 ·
The biggest difference I found when driving an ST on the highway was the faster steering ratio. Just a tug on the wheel will change your direction pretty violently on the highway if you're not paying attention.

Also, all Ford vehicles with the EAPS (Electric assist power steering) are designed to compensate for crosswinds.

#7 ·
Lots of bad roads around where I live, and the ST seems to handle them well. Tracks straight despite bumps and doesn't get bounced around. As has been said, it's a taut suspension, so you can feel the road, but it does handle potholes fairly well. (Thank God that one was one a test drive and not my car... *cough*)

It does seem quiet to me when cruising as well. Mostly tire noise, no wind noise, and the engine is very quiet when the Sound Symposer (TM) isn't open (3000+ RPM). The ST is quite well mannered when you're not throwing it around, which is one of the things I like about it. (Others that want a more raw car-handling experience occasionally dislike it, in fact.)

#8 ·
The weekend my dad picked up his ST3 we woke up early that Saturday to take a cruise. We went to the back country roads to play around and let me tell you the handling is phenomenal. When it was my turn I took it out to the highway and did some lane hopping through cars, it was really fun and we were turning heads! All in all the ST3 suspension is perfect IMO. Not to low that you're bumping all around, but just low enough to get that amazing handling like the SVT's show us.

#9 ·
I have a 12 Focus SEL and a 13 ST. The ST is quieter going down the road than the SEL. When we got the SEL I though the quietness of it was amazing for a compact car.

There is a 5 mile section of road that I travel every day going to work, it has to be in the too 10 worest roads in Mass. Anyway, the PT Cruiser the ST replaces would jar your eyes it was do bad on this road. The ST and SEL just float over the pot holes and broken pavement with no jarring or bottoming.

The suspension is stiffer on the ST than the SEL but not by much and much much less than I expected.

#10 ·
The ST is very quiet. They had to add the sound sympozer so you could hear the engine noise. The steering is very firm and great for mountain roads but still usable on the freeway. I haven't noticed the wind pushing me around. The amount the wind effects the car is a function of it's side profile. That's all corrected with wind tunnel testing these days.

On my drive home there is one spot where I bottom out in my Range Rover if I'm hauling in the ST I hear the sound of the gas strut compressing but no bottom out. I have also managed to jump the car a couple of times and the landing is smooth without bottom out. So I don't think your going to be jarred by potholes unless your going very slow.

#11 ·
The ST's suspension tuning was a lot less about being stiff and a lot more about better damping of the struts/shocks. This is one of the reasons why it rides so well without sacrificing handling.

And like I said, all Ford vehicles with the EAPS will compensate for crosswinds so you won't notice it while driving.

#12 ·
One very noticable difference coming from a Titanium is the sensitivity of the steering. The Titanium was very responsive, but this car is responsive x10. The slightest movement of the wheel at interstate speeds will have you changing lanes before you realize it. It also has more 'tramlining' tendencies, which isn't a problem...but it'll get your attention quickly.

Everything about the car feels more alive. I thought the Titanium was pretty responsive, but this car makes it look like a slug.

#15 ·
I was expecting a much harsher ride when I purchased the car, but I've been pleasantly surprised. The car feels quite 'alive' as @cbdallas so aptly described it, but remains quite comfortable; in the context of its intended purpose of course. Road noise is much less than I anticipated.

One thing I've noticed. I like to cruise with the windows down whenever possible. When I lower the rear windows, at certain speeds an oscillation occurs that can be very annoying.

#18 ·
Ive found the ST to be a pleasant ride as well. The car takes bumps in the road very nicely and is actually step up from my AGX / H&R setup I had on my 2000 SE when adjusted to a slightly softer setting.

The thing that I love about the ST is that it literally feels like it is constantly begging to be driven fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.