Focus Fanatics Forum banner

won't start not even turn over!!! Someone pleas help!!!!!!!

106K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Vinicius 
#1 ·
ok so I am new to the forum this is my first post. Let me start of by saying hello all focus fanatics.
So I bought a zx3 about 8 months ago. The car had been in fender bender and was salvaged. Both air bags deployed but the car ran and drove fine. One issue though was that the timing belt was shaking alot the owner of the car told me that this was from a pinched pullie and could be easily fixed. I boy the car for a good price and took it strait to a mecNic who was "a freind" of my brothers to fix the timing belt. He worked on the car for a week or so and then informed me of a new issue with the car. He told me it wouldn't start any more won't turn over won't click nothing. A few days later the car started once but after was shut off wouldn't start again. And that's where the car stands now. I had a few mechanics look at it and none of them can figure it out. The car has been sitting now for 8 months and I don't know what to do with it. If any one has any Idea as to what the issue might I would appriciate it soooooo much. Here some info on the car its a 2001 zx3 5spd stock other than focus central cam gears and a short throw shifter. I've conciderd parting it out also if anyone know what it might be worth parted out I would appriciate that info also very much....... Thank you

#2 · (Edited)
If genuine mechanics have looked at the car and couldn't get it going, I'm not sure you're going to find a miracle cure here! But have you reset the Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch? Here's an excerpt from the (2005) manual, which I think yours would have too:
"This switch is located in the front
passenger’s footwell, behind the kick
panel access cover.
To reset the switch:
1. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Check the fuel system for leaks.
3. If no leaks are apparent, reset the
switch by pushing in on the reset
button.
4. Turn the ignition ON.
5. Wait a few seconds and return the key to OFF.
6. Make another check for leaks."

Attachments

#3 ·
Won’t turn over won't click nothing.
Start with the basics. First test the battery, charge or replace as needed
Next check all battery cables , There are several posts on this issue so do a search on this.
Third check to see if the engine is locked up , use a wrench and bar the engine over , to make it easier remove the spark plugs. If you try first with the plugs in and it will not turn, remove the plugs and try again

#4 ·
These are actually the easier problems to fix IMO.

I can't believe that the mechanics who looked at it couldn't figure it out. If it didn't crank at all, I'd think it could be the PATS system and you'd need to take it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. That might still be the case if you replaced the whole steering column to repair the airbags, and are now using a different key than originally came with the car.

If the car has started or cranked since you fixed the airbags, then your problem is likely to be something in the starting system. My first guess would be the ignition switch. I'd verify that by having an assistant turn the key while using an electrical tester on the solenoid- you'll be testing for 12v between the smaller wires on the solenoid and the engine block- or a metal part of the starter will do. You should get 12v on the larger wire on the solenoid- if not, then the problem is between the battery and the solenoid. If I'm right, then you will get 12v on the big wire, and not on the little wires when the key is turned, I'd replace the ignition switch located on the steering column under the dash.

Gotta go, wife's mad cause I'm using the computer for a long time.

#8 ·
Yep, we cuddled, it's all good now.

I knew there was something I was forgetting- the clutch safety switch. That should be checked before going on to the ignition switch. You should also check the starter relay. The easiest way to test the clutch safety switch is to unplug it, and then use a paperclip or some solid wire to bridge the two contacts on the plug. If it cranks, then you need a new clutch safety switch.

If it doesn't start after that, then we'll deal with the crank but not starting issue.

#6 ·
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my '04 ZX3. Turns out it was a bad clutch switch. Its the safety switch that is engaged when depressing the clutch pedal.

This happened while on vacation down in VA. With the help from my brother inlaw, we jury rigged and easy button running from the battery to the starter. Just had to pop the hood, clip onto the + terminal on the battery and hit the button & voila, it worked. Was able to get it home and get it fixed, (under warranty thank God).....

#7 ·
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my '04 ZX3. Turns out it was a bad clutch switch. Its the safety switch that is engaged when depressing the clutch pedal.

And just for the OP's reference, this is the clutch switch.

#9 ·
Things it could be: dead battery, faulty battery cables, faulty ground, faulty ignition switch, faulty PATS module, wiring, or programming (does the theft light flash?), faulty clutch switch, faulty PCM, starter relay, starter motor (seized or faulty solenoid), seized engine, faulty instrument cluster module, network fault, shorted VREF to any 5v reference sensor, wiring fault (whether open, shorted, or high resistance) to any of these.

Things it couldn't be: anything air, fuel, spark or compression related (engine would crank, but not start with a fault in any of these).

Things that most indepedent shops don't know how (or don't have the right equipment) to fix usually: PATS faults, network faults, module faults, wiring faults.

All it is is process of elimination. They don't sound like very competent techs if they can't figure it out in 8 months (or they've barely touched it). Are there any codes? Does the instrument cluster act differently in any way when they try to crank it?

I may be forgetting something (I'm just listing things off as I think of them). If I do, I'll update it.

#10 ·
thank you all for the posts..so many suggestions..thank you all..i just don't know where to start...should I just tow it to the dealer? I just don't want to spend a lot on it. Thank you all i think i'm just gonna take it to the dealer does any one know if the dealership will work on a salvaged car?

#11 ·
The dealer will work on a salvaged car, and honestly, I would send it to them. It's clearly a fairly difficult problem to figure out, and the dealer has the knowledge and equipment to get it figured out quickly, which I bet will be cheaper in the end anyways.

#12 ·
Not to be contrary, But I disagree with bullitt. It's actually simple if you operate methodically. You can do this. I find as a rule mechanics have poor electrical skills, yours will be better when you're done here.

If this thing is truely doing nothing, not even the slightest click, first try pushing the clutch thru the floor when you turn the key, if nothing, do what whynot says and jump around the clutch safety switch. If still nothing, we'll proceed from there. I refuse to believe we can't get this thing cranking. And I am unanimous in that opinion.

#13 ·
basic problem here, and I'm really not trying to be rude. You need to find a REAL mechanic to look at this thing.. Show somebody who is good this thread, and they will get it going.. Offer to help and even offer to pay or buy dinner, that always gets me to help friends.. LOL, food is good.

Good luck, lots of good suggestions here, I am sure a dealer can get it going, but you will be paying for the labor, it adds up quick.

#17 ·
Same problem

I have a 05 Focus ST manual. Last friday after work, it fired up normally. After 2 minutes I had to go back to grab something I forgot, and the car would not turn over (I can only hear a click and that's it.)

Doesn't seem to be the battery ( lights, radio everything works fine)
I will try the clutch switch with a paper clip today and see if that does anything.
Maj2008, did you fix the problem back in the day?
Anyone has any other idea?

Thanks in advance guys

#19 · (Edited)
For only the nine trillionth time the conventional wisdom is wrong.

'Doesn't seem to be the battery ( lights, radio everything works fine)'

Means NOTHING.

A dead battery can do that ALL DAY LONG.

Where do people even get that idea to begin with, it hasn't been true in 75 years.

Kinda like the same idea that a poster from 9 years ago is still here today.....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.