Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Start Button Qestion?

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Lockdown 
#1 ·
Well I was reading a how-to on put in a Ford GT or Honda S2000 start button. I found a kit that looks decent and am think of getting it. Before I buy it I had a question about the start sequence (how to start the car).

To have the button work do you need to have the key in the start position (just power on but not started) for the button to start the car?

Also it seems like you can both start the car with the key or the button but I want to have the key in the ignition to be able to start the car with the button.

#5 ·
i know i'm probably an idiot for asking this, but can you move the ignition switch to say, the center console? I think it'd be pretty cool to plug in the key there and then push the start button.

...am i the only one that thinks that?

you can cut a certain wire and after that only the button will start the car. Still have to have the key in though.

#9 ·
The remote start button is pretty much a safe guard on cars that have them to prevent accidental starting of the motor. More so on like supercars and race cars have seperate momentary switches for the starter aside from the switch that activates the engines ignition. I did it because i work for Ford and could get the GT button resonably. Its a, "hey, thats neat" kind of thing with me. Why? Ok, why would you do anything to your car, any mod? Just because you can and its what "you" like. Thats why. I have yet to have anyone get in my car and say, "why would you do that?". They all say,"Thats pretty cool!"

#18 ·
I have yet to have anyone get in my car and say, "why would you do that?". They all say,"Thats pretty cool!"
Tell that to my girlfriend, lol. She is beginning to turn around though.

How much is that GT starter button (I think it matches the svt silver accents better than the s2k's chrome bezel)?? I'm think of doing this eventually.

#10 ·
On a Focus, you could move the activation of the ignition where ever you wanted, but dont, theres more to it than just moving it there. You have the pats system to think about, the wheel lock, etc. Just would be a super pain in the a@3.

#11 ·
^^ ditto. There have been others who asked about by passing the PATs and wheel lock, but no one has even dared to do it, lol.

Ditto again on Mikes reasoning why. I have been asked that question before and "it just seems like an extra step". My response is usually something like, "I think its coo"

Lunarc hooked me up with an RS start button and I put it in my center console:

I like. I also clipped the wire so you have no option but to use the button...the key wont start it. I did, however, leave the ends wrapped in tape up behind the dash just in case the button failed.

#13 ·
Well I order the kit off ebay because im lazy and did not feel like making the S2000 wiring connector.

Anyway its more then likely going to mount in the AC plug because its a good place were it wont get bumped and make that horrible sound when you try and start a engine that is already running. I tend to reach down to the center console alot for drinks and my cell phone.

I am going to relocate the AC plug to the passenger side foot well on the left side. I should just have to uses some clamps so I dont need to splice the stock AC to relocate it.

#14 ·
I never wanted to BYPASS pats, just move it. I happen to think security features are worth keeping, lol.

Here is mine, alot less impressive, more utilitarian:

(its the bottom left switch as the picture shows it...other switches: top left - phone charger, top right - fog lights, bottom right - AC Invertor)

#15 ·
sweet, mike! I like that button...its a little more self explanatory than my green mystery button, lol. I think that probably where I would have placed it as well...it fits well there. I guess the size and type of button would kinda dictate its location as well.

In my case I figured it was best to put it in the center console, where it is located in the RS....RS button, RS location. So far no one has hit it while the engine is running...believe me, I thought of that happening. And I can still use my lighter to ignite fireworks, molatov cocktails, big bob marley sized joints, or a travel "personal massager" [rofl]

#16 ·
Can you give me a picture of its location in the center console?
How hard was it to cut the whole out for it?
Also in theory this should work with a 07 since ford did not change the ignition wiring correct?

I also drive a automatic so their is less room on the center console or atleast in a 07.

#17 ·
no it's just the wheel lock you will have to worry about. (pull the pats out of the key and hide it by the sensor thing) then you will need to cover the hole in the column so cops dont think it's stolen

#19 ·
now if the button would start the car only, i'd put in a switch to power on the button. so you'd have to flip that then hit the start button. i think tomorrow or thurs i might but in a starter button. i can get one cheap from autozeon until i can afford a nice one. :)

#20 ·
I have heard speculations that it is possible to have it work that way. I believe some on focal jet said cutting another wire would allow you to start without the key but no one confirmed what he said would work.

The problem I believed is their is a security portion that checks that they key is the correct one. I believe the focus keys have some senors or a program in them that the car checks before starting. Now this is only what I have heard so I cant confirm its exact but I would think this type of system would be in place.

What would be cool is proximity identification which exist on some of the newer cars. We uses that at our office to unlock our server rooms but we also have biometric security along with it just to be sure. But it would be a cool idea.
The car would unlock as you come up and as your grip the door handle to get in that would have a finger print scanner to verifies its you. Then all you would need to do is some sort of motion (like taping the gas twice or something) to start the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.