Thump, lost ABS, power steering, oil light and other lights come on. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
kaptinkool
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117384
What I Drive: 2004 light green Ford Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kaptinkool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thump, lost ABS, power steering, oil light and other lights come on.

Last night I was driving and lost my ABS, Power steering, and I didnt try accelerating in that state so i dont know if i lost all power or what, it just seemed like every light was on. I put the vehicle in park, then started it back up and it ran normally, happened again once, then started running again with no problems for the 30 minute ride home.

Today I tried driving it again, and it did it, only this time i felt a big thump when everything shut off, and right before this happened, I noticed some flickering in the interior lights as if my alternator was failing.

It shouldnt have been my alternator because I just got this replaced. I also recently put in a used transmission from a wreck that had about 125,000 miles on it. Also, I am noticing an oily residue on the front part of the heat shield, but as the fluid is dirty, I cannot tell what fluid it is. Tranny fluid levels are normal however. I worry that something mayt have been sabotaged by a sketchy mechanic i've been taking my car to (maybe i'm paranoid).

A couple other things worth mentioning I can think of.

-Serpentine belt is old and needs to be replaced, some cracks here and there and deep grooves.
-Brake fluid is dark black, and needs to be flushed.
-had some overheating issues, problematic fan that I have been circumventing by running the AC instead, car got really hot a few months back when the fuel reservoir broke, and have been holding off getting the fan looked at.

any tips appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
sketchy owner and lack of maintenance are bound to cause problems.
On par with what you may think is a sketchy mechanic IMO.

Sounds like the belt broke, or at least parts.
Maybe, just maybe, you should fix what you know to be wrong first?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
kaptinkool
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117384
What I Drive: 2004 light green Ford Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 kaptinkool Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
sketchy owner and lack of maintenance are bound to cause problems.
On par with what you may think is a sketchy mechanic IMO.

Sounds like the belt broke, or at least parts.
Maybe, just maybe, you should fix what you know to be wrong first?
will do, going in tomorrow for tune up, belt replacement, brake inspection and fluid flush.

thanks for feedback, I wouldnt publicly bash a mechanic on yelp or anything, but I have my reasons for thinking him sketchy.

had a lot of deferred maintenence on my car because I was out of a job and couldnt afford it, now im making money and half of it is going into my car now. hoping to get 300k out of her before shes done, after spending like 4k on repairs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->