Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Low cost Horsepower Upgrades

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  gatmog 
#1 ·
OK I have tried to search for this so I'm just going to ask. I have a 2003 ZX3 with the 2.0 zetec engine. I want more horsepower with having to put on a turbo or Supercharger. I know there are some tweak to the engine that will allow me to get the desired results I'm looking for but I don't know where to look. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Going Crazy in NY

#3 ·
i will go ahead and say it before someone else does hp=$$ basically. but the easiest or cheapest ways would probably be intake, exhaust, underdrive pulleys, cam gears, or possibly a chip. i would say if you dont have the intake and exhaust do that first. it might help if we knew what you already have.

and yes this should be in the focus performance section

#5 ·
green,did you mean without having to...? either way it's $$. depending how many ponies you want . without having to go FI you'll be lucky to reach ,..what guys 190/200?

#7 ·
As Viney is fond of saying, speed is only a matter of money, how fast do you want to go? lol

The basic bolt-ons will "wake up" the engine a lot, but if your goal is over 150whp, you gotta go FI. First thing to do would be to establish what your goals are and then compare the various options to decide what will get you where you want to be. Make a plan early and stick to it.

#11 ·
i would go intake exhaust headers flex tht will free up a lot of hp for only about $1000, or udps if you only have $125 to spend

#12 ·
My advice...go a step at a time working on the plan mentioned previously. For your first mod according to "Loki's Modding Paradigm", I'd say go with the exhaust first. Keeping the factory cat on it is going to cost you around $500-$600 dollars depending on brands and such once completed. Start with the actual exhaust, then get new headers...one little thing to consider is exhaust piping diameter. For F/I, go 3". If you don't want to supercharge, stick with 2.25", MAYBE 2.5".

Next should be an intake, and once again, depending on if you're going short ram or cold air and brands, will run anywhere between $200-$350. After your intake should be a throttle body, which can range around $350.

A underdrive pulley after all this is about your best hp/dollar investment. I can't recall how much I paid for my AFX, but it is probably one of the cheapest mods around and one of the most recommended brands of UDP's to get.

Last, I'd get an SCT chip from Focussport for $300. Enough said on that matter, because those chips are the hands-down MUST if you're going to be screwing with your computer or are stuck with an automatic like myself.

After all this, it's mostly up to you. Those are going to be your basic upgrades. One piece of advice that I will give you is that if you're going to monkey around in your engine, it's often cheaper if you can find packages that you can kill two birds with one stone: you can grab a supercharger, and new guts for your engine all in one shot for a significantly lower price than buying the parts one at a time. I believe Focussport offers such a package.

Last thing: lowering the car might not add any hp, but depending on the drop, it can cut a teensy bit off of your 1/4 times due to less wind resistance and such.

#13 ·
do the breathing first like lokig is saying which means I/E/H. after that its all about getting a bigger and lighter engine. Lighter cams and gears will make a difference. larger head like a 65 mm or 70 mm head will allow more gas to be burned. if you change the injectors you can put in more gas which will make hp but if you get too big of injectors then gas is not getting enough air to be burned. Also when getting the intake save your money and get a pipercross or violent intake. these are WORTH THE MONEY. RAI makes tourq and little hp for little money and CAI make highend hp but less tourq but pipercross is the best of both worlds. As bad as it sounds rims are good to get cause it lightens up the car a little. Its not always about getting hp its also about weight of your car. If a car has 150hp and yours is is 140 but your car is lighter you have a really good chance of wining the race. if you take out your seats and your spare that takes out a couple of hundred pounds

#15 ·
I say A get an intake, I prefer the cheap e-bay varitey with a decennt filter, Maube 100 bucks if you get e-bay one and filter them header if emissions and volume anint a problem go with the OBXR theres a thread about it just below this one 200 bucks shipped a flex pipe from Tru bendz thats waht about 125 to 150 bucks, And i had my system from flex back buli for 125 bucks at a local exhaust shop. Then a UDP you can shop around and get a single pulley for 50 bucks from e-bay or buy sell forums on here and other sites, See waht that gets you if your pleased with that then a get chip[ burned for all it, If not cams and cam gears would be next, Good luck.

#17 ·
ok...i'm new to this site and everything...i'm just curious....doe's that dude tom from focus sport sponsor the site or something....cuz all i hear is tom, tom, tom....i've never heard of this guy....no offense or anything...i just want to know what the deal is.

#18 ·
Tom from FocusSport? Tom doesn't work for FS. He's got his own forum on this site (Focus-Power). FocusSport isn't even a sponsor on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.