Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Head Work.

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Glockboy98 
#1 ·
Am I the only one thinking about pulling the head off and having the intake & exhaust ports enlarged & drilling the valve outlets for larger intake & exhaust valves?

Would a custom cam be needed?

Would this require a larger throttle body?

Would there be any effects on the PCM?

Would I need larger injectors?

Would the timing have to be changed?

Would the stock fuel pump be sufficient?

What kind of numbers would this work, along with a CAI, header and exhaust be ballpark around?

I see all these exhaust threads & whatnot but I want some serious power gains without having a turbo installed & keeping it naturally aspirated. I'm gonna call cosworth, some local machine shops and engine builders to get some ideas. I'm tired of waiting for stuff to come out when it seems like not many companies give a rats about us! I feel like they're not making mods so it won't hurt the ST sales IMO.

So please everybody fire away on my questions. I think 235hp isn't acheivable. I'm tired of waiting, I'm ready to lead a new mod & be the guinea pig!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Most modern 4cyl 2L engines don't like oversized valves.

A cheaper/easier route would be to port, polish, and coat the intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

Aftermarket cams will give you the best benefit power-wise if you do pull the engine. However, it'll be difficult sourcing parts for non-ST foci this early in the game. Sleeving to 2.2L will get you closer to the power range you're looking for.

Regardless, you won't see much power gains, maybe ~40whp through and through. You'd be amazed at how much faster a car with proper suspension and tires will get you.

Basically; you bought the wrong car. The money you're dumping in mods could have covered the difference for a ST.

#15 ·
Very interesting. I like my FSW 2.5, but, you've got to wonder. He's probably already running pretty lean at this point. Let's hope that rumor of SCT getting someone's car as a mule is true...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.