Focus Fanatics Forum banner

IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input.

48K views 302 replies 49 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 · (Edited)
IMPORTANT: ALL 2012+ Focus Owners, I need your input. Survey inside.

Alright everyone, I hate to be a bother, but I (and everyone else with the clunk issue) really need your help.

I've been heavily involved in trying to get rid of the suspension clunking issue that plagues the vehicles of many users here (see the master clunk thread HERE), including my own. I've replaced several parts on my own dime, with limited success. However, the noise has always returned.

Recently, a fellow member with a new 2013 Focus (late-August production) brought to light a discrepancy between strut tower braces used on Foci of various production dates. Under my own research, I have found that the updated strut tower brace has been issued different part number (#DV6Z-16A200A)

So, in an effort to hopefully correlate clunking suspensions with specific strut tower versions, I've developed a survey. However, to give you some background before you complete the survey, please view the following:

The following photo is from an early August production Focus ST (FF member: earthling_david, suspension does clunk)

And here is photo from a late-August production 2013 Focus ST. Take note of the reinforcing plate added below the factory strut tower brace that is conspicuously missing from the previous photo. (FocusST.org member: Kragbax, suspension does not clunk)

If your suspension clunks, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If your suspension doesn't clunk, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

If you completed my old survey, please complete this survey: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRLWE90cEVzcThkUVFjRkIyRVB1Zmc6MA#gid=0

Thanks, everyone. Your responses are greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#273 · (Edited)
has any one looked at how the strut tower and reinforcements are connected together?had an '04 dodge stratus(problem on stratus from 2001-2005) that clunked going over bumps,manhole covers etc. replaced everything on front end(struts and springs did twice) even made an 1/8 inch rubber spacer where mount connected to strut tower ,noise would go away then return .After 2 years messing with it a new mechanic(ex-chrysler became heavy truck mechanic) at work told me about a tsb for an intermittent clunk(tried it on mine had a consistant clunk) it involved installing 2 rivots one on bottom backside of strut tower one below that. the rivots didn't appear to be structurally important,but it stopped the clunking heres a link to tsb even though it doesn't apply different type suspension mounting just an idea
http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/user/bills6/media/clunk2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/bills6/media/clunk1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=135498423712608215470718902138

#274 ·
Well, I put the stock springs, dampers, bearings, and mounts in. Torqued to OEM specs, everything's tight.

If there was any suggestion that it might be in my head before, there is no doubt my car has a major issue now. It's obnoxiously loud on the passenger side.

#276 ·
Yeah. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

While I was working on the car yesterday, I discovered that there was an air-gap under the strut tower where the firewall is pinch-welded to the strut tower, and it rattled when I tapped it with the butt-end of a rubber-handled screwdriver. I thought I might have finally found the solution, so I attempted to duplicate what Lipshurt did by sliding a piece of plastic into the airgap, but it made no difference in the noise.

Here's a photo of the area:

So, off to the dealer it goes, now.

#285 ·
Sorry to hear all your work didnt come up with a remedy, but We can only hope ford can figure something out with this... Please keep in touch, never know if they figure it out, you will be a FF owner again someday [thumb]

#291 ·
zillon best of luck with the new ride! (I came from VW CC 2.0T was kinda soft for a front wheel turbo and hated the torque steer.. hope the GTi is stifffer and not as prone to torque steer)
I also hope Ford assists you in the sale and absorbs some of the financial impact.. in any event something tells me that what you saw you enterprtted as "beyond repair" and made you jump ship right away.. (wandering if the purchasing dealer mentioned anything to you related to clunk..) I think at this point we are open to trade-in tactic hints!
thanks for all your help, lets see some GTi pics!

#293 ·
I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that the issue is beyond repair, but Ford doesn't seem to have any desire to fix it. Of course, now that I'm jumping ship, I'm sure a TSB will probably be issued in a matter of weeks. Hopefully that's not the case, but that would be my luck.

I feel pretty strongly that it does have to do with the airgap in the pinch weld at the strut tower and firewall junction, but I don't have the time to do any research on validating that hypothesis.

And Ford, give me assistance to get out of the car? Surely, you jest. I've simply had enough. Luckily I have a good personal relationship with my VW dealer, so they were able to give some extra massaging of the numbers in getting me out of the Ford and into the GTI. I still took a heavy hit on the trade, but I'm at least above KBB.

#296 ·
#303 ·
I made sure you’ll be contacted as soon as possible, stang74shelby; I also sent you a PM with more info.

Hey, yeah my rattle/clunk is still there. Metro.ford was awesome, and very helpful in trying to figure this out, but its still there. They fastrned my lower ,upper control arms and my strut brace.
Bogey,

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you want any more details forwarded to Thomas.

Cory

#300 ·
Hey, yeah my rattle/clunk is still there. Metro.ford was awesome, and very helpful in trying to figure this out, but its still there. They fastrned my lower ,upper control arms and my strut brace.

#301 ·
Someone needs to try injecting some sort of epoxy (JB weld, quiksteel, etc) into the airgap between the pinch welds on the strut tower.

Should be cheap and easy to do; might even be possible to do without removing anything if you know where to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.