Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#3,218 ·
New Clutch and Seals... Running great for how long?

Long time reader... First time poster.
This forum has been a great source of information for dealing with the DCT on my 2012 Ford Focus. Like most... love the car... but hate the transmission.
Some history:
At 16000 the car went back to the dealer with a slight occasional shudder. The dealer looks at me like I am crazy and says "Are you familiar with the characteristics of a DCT?" Dealer re-programmed the DCT and released the car. No improvement... but seemed to get better in the colder weather, not sure why.
At 30000 I took the car back for same problem, shudder getting worse and more frequent. The dealer looks at me like I am crazy and says "Are you familiar with the characteristics of a DCT?" Fortunately for me I also had the leak out of the bell housing. Dealer replaced the input shaft seals, reprogrammed the tranny, and cleaned but did not replace the clutches.

Shudder continued but only occasionally enough that it was difficult to get the dealer to see the problem. The shudder was getting worse though. Passengers would comment about the "skipping" and "slipping" of the car, coffee is spilling out of my cupholders, and young innocent children are awoken from their car seats. I simply responded to my passengers with "Well let me tell you about the characteristics of the Dual clutch transmission". At this point I hate driving the car as it is so frustrating and inconsistent. Ready to write off ford for making me an unwilling DCT Beta-Tester. Car is UN-sellable, and UN-tradeable.

Back to the same dealer, at 37000 who said "It might just be adapting to the way you drive". I am convinced there is a cheat sheet of smart ass answers behind the counter that these guys are using. I told them to keep it, and they took a week of driving it (with no loaner for me) until they finally confirmed the problem. They replaced the clutch assy with the "D" version, clutch slave, and both inner seals, some snap ring and plug and reprogrammed according to TSB14-0197. Incidentally... the cost of this warranty work was $1439. Free to me... but that is what the sheet said... maybe to Ford.

Immediate improvement. Now this thing after 500mi since service is still running GREAT! Shifts are smooth with no shuddering whatsoever. This is the way the car should drive. Enjoying my coffee and the kids are sleeping better thank you Ford.

My questions...
1. Has anyone had long term experience after having the "D" revision clutch and seals replaced?
2. What kind of longevity can I expect? Does the problem reoccur after xxx miles?
I am thinking that now that it is running so well, that it might be a good time to dump it, fearing more and bigger problems in the future... especially after the 100K mark. But... its running well and I hate depreciation loss.
Cheers.

#3,223 ·
My questions...
1. Has anyone had long term experience after having the "D" revision clutch and seals replaced?
2. What kind of longevity can I expect? Does the problem reoccur after xxx miles?
I am thinking that now that it is running so well, that it might be a good time to dump it, fearing more and bigger problems in the future... especially after the 100K mark. But... its running well and I hate depreciation loss.
Cheers.
I'm glad your dealer eventually took care of you... I got the TSB-0047 with the clutch D packs in late April... After 6 months a few long road trips and 13k later, it's been good for the most part... I never had shudder (I've driven one that had it and it's unsettling) but a "complete loss of power event" while going uphill at freeway speeds on my 2nd morning commute in it (got as former rental with 18k). I am now getting some "chatter" once in awhile but random hard or early shifts never went completely away... I did the snorkel delete, run only premium fuel, taped the intake gap, and while the engine runs nice the rare times I keep it floored a bit, still a little "stumbly" and "clunky" sometimes. I'm going to have to keep an eye on it and make sure it gets taken care of if it gets worse.

#3,224 ·
Unless you're having problems, another visit to the Dealer isn't likely to change much (if anything).

Any time there's a change in recommended procedures there's a "new" tsb. The changes may have nothing to do with the fixes for the car, any procedure or part number change also needs a new notice (tsb).

We've heard that the 'latest" clutch part number is different primarily in packing clutch & seals together, that alone would be a new tsb.

Service bulletins are recommended procedures to address common issues. The current one for "shudder" involves testing to determine the extent of a problem, reflash & retest as a first step to solve it if applicable - etc. depending on findings. It doesn't even address other possible problems directly.

I'm not sure what you want "applied" in this case, it's not like a computer update situation where everyone automatically gets the latest version (helpful or not).

MFT or DCT, just as with our computers some liked the latest updates & some didn't. Better left alone unless you have an issue or an actual recall to update your car for a specific problem comes out.

[cheers]

#3,220 ·
Lucky me! I literally drove my new car (2013 Ford Focus Titanium with DCT) off the lot today. I noticed some shuddering while slowly idling thru a chic filet parking lot that felt odd. Noticed it seemed to shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd very fast and rough almost like it was skipping 2nd??

Anyhow thinking it was some "Eco" setting I instantly googled 2013 ford focus transmission and found this thread/site.

Vehicle has 11700 miles on it, drove it off the lot today, this appears to be a problem with no fix.

It seems like many on here are having to invest in multiple software flashes, clutch and seal replacements etc.

I am thinking about printing every page of complaints and showing up at the dealership tomorrow demanding my money back.

What say you?

#3,225 ·
I had the "D" clutch pack put in back in June. 5 months and 5000 miles later it's back at the dealer with horrible shudder. The dealer confirmed that I once again am above the 250rpm threshold for slippage. So I am getting another clutch.... this will be 3 now in total. Along with about 7 adaptive learning reprograms.

#3,228 ·
Had the Clutch in my '12 SE replaced about 2500 miles ago. Went to Cali recently and when descending a hill the transmission threw a "Transmission Fault Service Now" message and went into "limp mode". Boy is that a shock when limp mode is 3rd gear and you are going between 65 and 70mph! Can you say REDLINE??? On the way home, going up the same hill (nothing very steep) same thing. "Transmission Fault Service Now" Took it to the dealer and the service code said the transmission had trouble getting into 4th gear. I'm guessing that like with the clutch they finally replaced after 2 years of bouncing, I'll be told "All is well!!" Or even worse, "Yep, there's a problem but we can't fix it until the car acts up bad enough while our computer is hooked to your car." Sure am glad the road wasn't ICY when the car kicked into limp mode... A bit sour on this car? Yea, just a little.

#3,229 ·
When the clutch was replaced 2500 miles ago, were you given the "All is well" at that time? If so, did you replace the clutch yourself? I could see how one would be very sour if that was the case.

#3,230 ·
Yep, after they replaced the clutch they said everything was good and that I'd love the car. And for sure after they replaced the clutch, all seemed fine. In fact, the clutch still seems fine. No, I did not replace the clutch myself. You see, it took nearly two years of bringing the car in, until it FINALLY bounced like a kangaroo for the dealer and they did the replacement for me. I'm just tired of bringing the car in for the same or similar issues.

#3,231 ·
To All on this herrendous issue!! Tsb 14-0197 is just a rehash and sort of an update for servicing the issue. Just a side light.... First, drive it like you stole it... with in reason...next several of us Ford techs have found that "scrubbing the clutch" has helped. IE. WOT thru 3rd gear minimum, 2 to 3 times then reevaluate. I think everbody should give that a shot!!

#3,235 ·
2013 Titanium Now with shuttering!

So I have a 2013 Titanium that apparently was assembled June 25th of 2013 so I believe it does not get the extended warranty on the DCT. I bought it new Sept of 2013 and took it in after only a couple of months at 1200 miles because it began making the "grinding noises" which to me sound like teflon gears eating each other to death. I was first given the run around, but finally the dealer took it in to check it out. When it was returned to me I was told they re-programmed the computer and they handed me xerox copies that were essentially "things to expect from your DCT". Now I'm at 14,500 miles and it's shuddering, grinding and has some bad shifts from time to time as well. It is intermittent of course, making it even more fun, it definitely seems worse when I have passengers in the car. It also makes the "clunking" noises with the suspension. Have you guys had luck actually getting this stuff resolved? From the threads I've read so far it looks like everyone gets temporary fixes to these problems but ends up having to take their vehicles back in to get them "re-addressed".

I'm no engineer, but this seems like a transmission that is half baked, released before it should have been. I am really disappointed that a car I really love and spent good money to purchase is making me really unhappy because the transmission is so poor. Please tell me there is some hope that Ford is going to stand by this and get it right, because it doesn't seem so from what I'm reading here.

Has anyone else with a 2013 built after June 10th 2013 has their warranty extended on the transmission?

Thanks,
BT

#3,236 ·
So I have a 2013 Titanium that apparently was assembled June 25th of 2013 so I believe it does not get the extended warranty on the DCT. I bought it new Sept of 2013 and took it in after only a couple of months at 1200 miles because it began making the "grinding noises" which to me sound like teflon gears eating each other to death. I was first given the run around, but finally the dealer took it in to check it out. When it was returned to me I was told they re-programmed the computer and they handed me xerox copies that were essentially "things to expect from your DCT". Now I'm at 14,500 miles and it's shuddering, grinding and has some bad shifts from time to time as well. It is intermittent of course, making it even more fun, it definitely seems worse when I have passengers in the car. It also makes the "clunking" noises with the suspension. Have you guys had luck actually getting this stuff resolved? From the threads I've read so far it looks like everyone gets temporary fixes to these problems but ends up having to take their vehicles back in to get them "re-addressed".

I'm no engineer, but this seems like a transmission that is half baked, released before it should have been. I am really disappointed that a car I really love and spent good money to purchase is making me really unhappy because the transmission is so poor. Please tell me there is some hope that Ford is going to stand by this and get it right, because it doesn't seem so from what I'm reading here.

Has anyone else with a 2013 built after June 10th 2013 has their warranty extended on the transmission?

Thanks,
BT
I can't comment on getting the warranty extended as mine was built in 2/13... but, you do have 45k left in it's regular warranty so yyou have time for them to "get it right"... Yes, that's the best I can say... seems like they are getting somewhat better with each revision of replacement parts but the software seems to be getting worse... I hate the softer shifts since my software was updated along with my repair at 18k in late May.

#3,237 ·
Well folks, I am done with this vehicle. Experience at another dealer service center went exactly like the previous. Plenty enough shudder to have to make an appointment, yet it's all "within limits", according to their books. Never mind actually pulling something apart to see if something is wrong. So after time number five of having a dealer look at this, I am finished. Just mentally done with it.

What's ironic is that this time I might have probably been able to live with this problem, but all the dealers seem not to be able to deal with any other issues on the vehicle!! Case in point: rattling of some sort coming from the rear of the vehicle (can't tell whether it's tailgate, wheel well, or underneath) when at speeds exceeding 40-50mph. Dealer said they found my jumper cables were causing this and moved them. On the drive home, guess what? They might have moved the cables, but they sure as hell didn't drive it again.

I'm sick of the dealers apathy in doing any appreciable service. I'm sick of being treated like I don't know what is normal and what isn't. I'm sick of being inconvenienced by having to take my car in again and again....and not having anything done to fix it.

Anyone interested in a '13 Focus SE with 27,600 miles? No? Maybe I can give it back to the dealer and get my downpayment back.

#3,240 ·
dan-
I tried contacting Meagan via PM well in advance of my latest service call with all info that she indicated she needed, but I did not get any response. Consequently, I am sure there was no contact with the service center I took it to. Had I known that there was no contact, I would have shelved the appointment altogether.

#3,245 ·
I have a 2013 Titanium that's had the transmission problem since day one. Every time I take it in I'm told it's normal. When I got the letter about the warranty extension I was told I didn't have a problem unless I saw fluid on the floor of my garage. That's not how I read it. And the dealer (a fairly large one) only had one transmission mechanic and he has a 2 week backlog. That was 6 weeks ago and they haven't called me yet. I've already messaged Meagan.

#3,247 ·
We had a group, or maybe a few individuals quite a few months back working on getting a NHTSA recall for the cars.

Has anyone heard how they are progressing? Obviously the recall hasn't been administered by NHTSA, but I'm wondering how close the individuals are to getting such.

#3,251 ·
DCT Woes

So those of you who are having problems with your DCT shuttering, bad shifts, shifting hard etc. Is it really intermittent? Some days mine seems just fine, other days it's a dog. Last week I just wanted to take it back but this week it's fine so I know if I took it in they wouldn't even look at it. I'm assuming I just need to wait till it's more consistently bad before I take it in.

Thanks,
BT

#3,253 ·
So those of you who are having problems with your DCT shuttering, bad shifts, shifting hard etc. Is it really intermittent? Some days mine seems just fine, other days it's a dog. Last week I just wanted to take it back but this week it's fine so I know if I took it in they wouldn't even look at it. I'm assuming I just need to wait till it's more consistently bad before I take it in.

Thanks,
BT
Hi BT,

When you get that next appointment set up, please let me know so I can look into some options. :)

Meagan

#3,252 ·
well we just got back home from the dealership with my wifes 2014 Focus se hatchback with 7220 miles and they told us the clutch is shot & needs to be replaced... The service writer told us that's it's on backorder and won't be available until after next month, it will be revision F and thankfully we got the extended warranty so they will give us a loaner for the 2 days it will be in the shop....

She really likes the car, we both do and I hope that this will fix the stuttering issue once & for all...

#3,254 ·
Just Tom - There has been no resolution yet. I did receive a call from a regional service person last night that I have not had a chance to call yet. Frankly, I'm not expecting much since I'm not confident in the ability of the service techs at either (yes, that would be more than one) dealership to actually look at the transmission rather than hook it up to a computer and be told that there isn't anything wrong. Neither one could even fix another issue that I had it in for that is probably way simpler, and more consistently annoying than the tranny!!

There just isn't any trust here with the dealers I've dealt with. They seem to make a big deal about customer service (slick set up at the counter, and free car washes) but who gives a damn - just fix what it's brought in for! I wouldn't care if the tech was Dave Puddy, as long as he fixed the problem, not avoided it.

This vehicle is just exhausting. Do I want it fixed? Absolutely. Do I want to deal with this inconvenience yet again?

#3,257 ·
That's great news! We recently learned that my wifes new 2014 also needs a need clutch and as soon as they get us in, they'll get that taken care of... Just keep us updated from time to time. I'm curious to know how long the new rev F clutch last's and if anyone has experienced any issues since the new rebuild?

#3,259 ·
Let's see just to add another one to the list. I have 2012 Focus Titanium. I've had three reprograms and the clutch replaced once last year (clutch "D"_. I brought in beginning of November again. Yep, another clutch is needed. However, clutch is on backorder. It took them three days to diagnose this after my car was "lost" in the system. Well, car started driving worse and worse. Called Customer Satisfaction and provided a rental while part to be expedited. It's been a week. No news.

I understand those they say trade it in and get something else. But it just feels like that would be like letting Ford win. I bought a new car that should work. I bought a new car so that I could feel safe driving. I do not have a car that works nor I feel safe driving. Frustrated like everyone else...

#3,261 ·
...Called Customer Satisfaction and provided a rental while part to be expedited. It's been a week. No news...
Welcome to the forum!

Please send me your case number via PM, I'll check into it.

The regional customer service guy called and said he'd get another dealer to call me (since mine won't do anything). Two weeks passed with no call. The CSM called to touch base and seemed surprised the dealer hadn't called me. I'm not. I'm beginning to think Ford is trying to sweep this problem under the rug with endless runarounds.
I just checked into yours, AND I've updated the case notes. I'll also be emailing your CSM to call you again.

Meagan

#3,260 ·
The regional customer service guy called and said he'd get another dealer to call me (since mine won't do anything). Two weeks passed with no call. The CSM called to touch base and seemed surprised the dealer hadn't called me. I'm not. I'm beginning to think Ford is trying to sweep this problem under the rug with endless runarounds.

#3,263 ·
I have had my car in to the dealer three times. They gave me a new flash the first time and the other tones said it was within normal range of their tests. I have had Ford reps call me from this forum also. Everyone tells me that is just how the car behaves. My car literally almost dies at least once every time I drive it. I live in the city so there is a lot of stop and go driving and the car can't handle it. It's even more noticeable since the weather has gotten cold and I'm using the heat. The blower from the heat literally cuts out for a second when the car is about to die. Like when you are driving a stick and let the clutch out too fast. It's annoying for sure.

#3,264 · (Edited)
Back once again. In September Ford finally replaced the clutch in my DCT. In October I got a "Transmission Malfunction" error and it apparently locked 4th gear out. The dealer checked that out, could find nothing so following Fords' instructions they put the tranny back in learning mode. All seemed well until about a week ago when the car threw another "Transmission Malfunction" error. Since then I can't drive the car 100yards without getting this error and the tranny throwing itself into 'limp' mode. The dealer, through multiple contacts with Ford has tried multiple tests involving the control module, temperatures, pressures, voltages etc. According to the dealer, the car passes all of the tests they are performing. Yet when they drive the car, it does the same thing it's been doing to me so they are still working with Ford. /sigh More time in the shop.

UpDate: 12/15: Got it back once more. Seems fixed once again. The service manager said it was one of the two "shift motors" this time, one of them had gone bad. That mostly fixed it but not quite so they put it back on the computer and a full diagnostics told them a wiring harness was bad. The dealer measured the impedances on the individual wires and one was really bad. Replacing the harness finished the fix. So it's working, for now.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.