Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SYNC Update Available on Focus!!!

157K views 734 replies 111 participants last post by  oritpro 
#1 · (Edited)
SYNC MFT V3.2.2 Update Available on Focus!!!

I had nothing better to do this morning so I checked SMR. It's showing the update is available![headbang]

DA5T-14D544-AH Version Gen2 - V3.2.2

--------------Update 1---------------

The update took 37 minutes. Did a master reset and fuse pull prior to the install. Climate works fine. I'm having a rather odd issue - the system crashes every time I click "Rearview Camera Setting". A master reset and fuse pull didn't help. I'll just let the car sit overnight. If it doesn't fix itself, I'm taking it to the dealer [dunno]

--------------Update 2---------------

Took my car to the dealership yesterday and they couldn't re-flash the software after 6 tries. They were told by Ford that the update on SMR was corrupted. They finally fixed it by taking the MFT unit (APIM?) out and forced the update.

#483 ·
I sent an email to sync/mft and this is the response I got:

(Thank you for your email in regards to SYNC.

The issue requires further investigation that would be more effective over the phone. Please call (800-392-3673/option 3) during our business hours: Monday-Saturday (8:30 AM – 10:00 PM EST) and Sunday (11:30 AM – 10:00 PM EST).

Sincerely,
Shlinda
Ford Motor Company
SYNC Support Center )

#485 ·
I haven't yet. I, frankly, don't want to pull fuses or anything like that. Nor do I want to take it to the dealer when everything else is fine. The climate issue is more of a non-issue for me. It just irritates me that's all. I don't like have "features" that don't work. But I am not going to let it take away from my over all experience. I love my car. I will call next week, when I have time and nothing better to do. I suppose my only concern with this update is that I am curious what is lurking in the shadows. What else is going on that we don't know about? Will the next update take away another feature that I love (like the option 1 & 2 buttons that we once were able to customize!!!)

#490 ·
MFT Update 3.2.2 - No dealer fix

Sync support sent me to dealer. Appt today dealer did redo flash and same result. No climate control USB issues etc.

The dealer checked Oasis and Tech Info Service (TIS) and no info exists.

Call back to Sync Support and they now CONFIRM there is a "known issue with focus and upgrade v3.2.2".

They suggest checking back weekly. Unbelievable. Made the comment that Sync My Ride (SMR) web site still doesn't show this status and Ford should be officially communicate this to customers to avoid unnecessary time spent by the customer and dealer.

Bottom line dealer can't resolve as no solution currently exist.

#492 ·
Sync support sent me to dealer. Appt today dealer did redo flash and same result. No climate control USB issues etc.

The dealer checked Oasis and Tech Info Service (TIS) and no info exists.

Call back to Sync Support and they now CONFIRM there is a "known issue with focus and upgrade v3.2.2".

They suggest checking back weekly. Unbelievable. Made the comment that Sync My Ride (SMR) web site still doesn't show this status and Ford should be officially communicate this to customers to avoid unnecessary time spent by the customer and dealer.

Bottom line dealer can't resolve as no solution currently exist.
MFT is a lost cause. I am in the process of drafting up plans for an Open Source IVI. Still debating on which reference platform to go with, Pandaboard w/touchscreen, Origen 4 Quad w/touchscreen, or build the components for a modularized system based around a Nexus 7 or other tablet.

Here's an interesting alternative that I ran across in my research:
http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wh...le_Android_2.3_Tablet_Panel_3G_WiFi_GPS_DVB-T

Also, Clarion has an Android based head unit it's marketing to auto manufacturers called the Mirage.

I think Android is the way too go, I am not sure why nobody is using it in the IVI space.

#498 ·
Dealer did another attempt. Updated his tech diagnostics tools to newest version (IDS-VCM). Update for APIM configuration then was available. After APIM update, 4 more attempts at re-flash of V3.2.2 upgrade worked to some extent.

Got my climate controls and USB functionality back but lost incoming messaging. Wish I had stayed on V3.02. At least messaging worked.

The good news is I learned NOT to do any further updates until it is confirmed by the community NOT Ford.

#501 ·
My bluetooth was acting up to the point where I was unable to use it anymore. I did a full master reset and that perked the bluetooth back up to par. Climate still screwed. I have an appointment this Saturday on some other items and I am definitely bringing this up to them to see which way they scratch their head!

#504 ·
I must not speak English or am able to convey my problems very well... This is a recent response from the MFT team here on the forum. This has my blood boiling!

What do we do if we already installed the bad update? Are you going to release a 3.2.3 so we can fix it from home or will we have to take it to the dealer? It won't let you reinstall the same version twice.

Response:
Hi, Focusinva -

Are you experiencing any concerns post update? If you're not, there's no further action required. If you're having problems, visit your dealership.

Jaclyn

#506 ·
I'm not trying to be a jerk here Jaclyn but people have been taking there cars to the dealership and the dealerships short of replacing the apim module have NOT been able to fix the issue we are having with the update. A lot of us have a hard time taking off work to head to the dealership if they can't fix it.

I think the big question is ... Is ford going to release an update that we can install at home that will fix the climate issue. The dealerships have the exact same 3.2.2 update that was released, so I'm not sure how going there will fix my problem.

I don't mean to take any frustration out on you, but these are the issues we have been dealing with for over a week now with no real answers.

#507 ·
I have to agree with you here. I'm all for taking the car to dealerships for a fix, but only if it really is a fix (I expected some issues with a completely overhauled Focus model). I've only heard of 1 person (so far...) that had success at a dealer.

If I have to take it into a dealer, fine, but I want to KNOW there is a for sure fix before I do.

#512 ·
I took my car back to the dealer and reverted it back to 3.0.2. The climate wasn't the only issue but the bluetooth with the phone was another issue. It would connect with my iPhone and then about 30 seconds later it would show no phone connected. If I went into the settings it showed a phone connected but I couldn't make calls. I had to disconnect and reconnect to get it to make calls. The 3.0.2 connects to my phone right away. The 3.2.2 was real buggy. I can't believe Ford didn't do much more testing and find these issues.

#514 ·
Without wading through 43 pages of posts, does anyone know if the disappearing "breadcrumbs" issue was fixed - the white dots, that left a a trail on the map, where you'd previously driven?
My complaint after 3.02, comunicated through SMR, was "will be addressed on next update".

#526 ·
This feature has returned in v3.2.2. At least on my system. As with anything MFT-related, YMMV.

#518 ·
If i had to guess i bet we'll all have to wait another month for a 3.2.5 or something like that that will fix the problems that the last one created for those who put it on.

I don't understand why Ford doesn't change its delivery system either. They should create full images of each version of mft for each car model they can put on the car computer that will fully wipe and delete any previous install. Continually patching over itself makes no sense. Then again, this is what happens when you hire people whose biggest project before was a soda dispenser.

Thanks muchly for ivt lady Jaclyn who greatly earns her money when crud like this happens.

#530 ·
The question is. Once you've upgraded to 3.22 will the system prevent you from installing a 3.02 that someone still has on a thumbdrive or can upload somewhere?

If so. Is there a file version we can change on one of the files on the Thumbdrive so it looks like a newer version that whats installed. i.e. 3.02 audit file renamed to 3.23 so that MFT will see it as an update and install.

#532 ·
No. You can't just put a 3.0.2 upgrade into your car - it'll say it's already installed or that the version installed is an earlier version than the one on your car.

If only it were as simple as renaming the files and re-installing it.

Personally, I like 3.0.2 better than 2.11 because it plays nice with my phone. And the iPod scrolling and address entering in 3.2.2 has also vastly improved.

#533 ·
At least you guys have a mft that kinda works.....ours was just a blank screen most of the time with a message saying sd card fault...except when we took it to the dealer then it would come on for a couple days...finally had to take pictures before they would even look at it and then we cannot fix it because we cannot duplicate the problem.......... I think some of the issues are more than software related.....B-lou

#537 ·
Does anyone have a copy of the 3.2.2 software they'd be willing to share? I'm so tired of loosing text on the onscreen buttons and have no issue risking the loss of the MFT climate section. I always use the physical buttons and nobs for for climate. Pulling the fuse to force a reboot gives me button text on the screen for about a day before I loose it again.

#541 ·
Just picked my car back up (dropped it off on Wednesday last week so 8 days of service this time. I'll supposedly get paperwork in the mail, but if previous times are any indication I won't see that for a month at least) and MFT has been fixed. Well, the climate control issue has and I retained my temperature so I assume I still have 3.2.2. My adviser said that from what they were told the version downloaded from SMR was "half the problem." No clue what that means. He stated next time an update gets released I should probably wait a week or so before downloading it. I told him I didn't see how it could hurt since MFT can't get much worse to which he just sort of smiled and nodded (I know they can't really do all that much about it, but I am not exactly pleased with it). I have some more to post, but that would be off-topic since it relates to something else. I'll post it in the DCT thread.

EDIT: Just went outside to repair my phone and noticed that my USB isn't really working correctly. If I plug it in it will blink for a few seconds and then nothing. MFT will show up with Unknown Artist/Unknown Track, but that's it. Going to the USB tab is met with a "USB device not found DSKDRV 5:" or something of that nature, not looking at it at the moment. Hitting previous on the screen brings up the "browse the drive if you want to play music" screen that comes up when a playlist finishes. Volume does nothing except adjust the volume on the screen, I still hear nothing. If I hit next on the screen (not the steering wheel, previous/next no longer work for USB it seems) it will go to the second song (which is still something by Vitamin C, so it's still not indexing correctly) and then operate as it usually does (i.e. not well, but no worse than it has been). Well, at least I have temperature back...that's...something?

#546 ·
can't install 3.2.2 Help?

Maybe I'm a luddite or something, but I downloaded the new software to my usb drive and went to install it in my Focus (current version says 12023, which I've read is 3.0.2).

No autorun kicked in and when I pressed on the USB button, it said no playable media files available. So I went into a menu for updating software and saw the sync install screen, however, it said update 1 0f 0! Fail! Within a few seconds it said update complete. Did a master reset to verify and, nope, still running 3.0.2

Can anyone help me out here? Many thanks. Stephen

#547 ·
Maybe I'm a luddite or something, but I downloaded the new software to my usb drive and went to install it in my Focus (current version says 12023, which I've read is 3.0.2).

No autorun kicked in and when I pressed on the USB button, it said no playable media files available. So I went into a menu for updating software and saw the sync install screen, however, it said update 1 0f 0! Fail! Within a few seconds it said update complete. Did a master reset to verify and, nope, still running 3.0.2

Can anyone help me out here? Many thanks. Stephen
You pretty much have to download and install the update on a flashdrive(USB) with nothing else on it besides the update. That is probably what happened; It was trying to read other files at the same time. The files have an autorun(dot) file which starts the install automatically when you plug the USB into your car...

#554 ·
Wow so nothing new on this whatsoever. Is everyone (those effected) just dealing with the loss of the climate until another update comes out sometime in the future or is everyone going to the dealer for the fix? I was hoping by now someone would have a few more details on what the dealerships are doing to fix it. If its something possibly that we can do ourselves. I am so disappointed to see that Ford / SyncMyRide.com has not even bothered to try and resolve this by posting a fixed version that we can install. I.E 3.2.3, etc. Heck I don't think they even publicly admitted there might be an issue for some Focus owners. I guess I should get used to that from here on out.

I did not really notice any benefits to the 3.2.2 myself. Except that it takes my phone way longer to register Connected than it ever did and while I was playing some music via BT that it was showing the wrong artist playing. I looked at my phone and it showed the correct artist. Ugh!. Whatever MFT! I pray Ford will scrap it entirely and announce a completely new from the ground up OS for this thing.

#555 ·
Is everyone (those effected) just dealing with the loss of the climate until another update comes out sometime in the future or is everyone going to the dealer for the fix?
That's my plan. I'll give Ford a few months, and if another update isn't released at that point, I'll have the dealer "fix" it.

Honestly, besides the ugly power button graphic in place of the temps, and the lack of fake led lights on the climate screen, I'm not really missing any functionality.

#557 ·
Losing my mind WTF is going on

Sync VersionGen2 - V3.0.2
Confirmed installations
DA5T-14D546-AC
DA5T-14F496-AC
BT4T-14F497-AP

NO UPDATE to V3.2.2 available on the update site I have already done the sync status checker tool [?|]

Is it because I am Canadian? Does Ford hate us? BTW sync status checker took 4 computers, 3 operating systems, and 3 browsers before I found a computer that worked with it. HOLY CRAP [rant]

#560 ·
I'm coming to the conclusion that Ford no idea of what they are doing. You literally never know what is going to happen day to day with MyFord Touch. I got my Focus in June, and I've done 5 master resets. What's funny is after 1 reset text messaging worked for 3 weeks on my non supported Android phone.

#566 ·
That's better than what I get now. If i say "climate temperature xx" or "climate control" it lectures me about saying something it doesn't know. When I list the commands "climate control" is right there. That sync lady needs to get her act together before she lectures me again...

#568 ·
Not sure if this is a new or old bug - I don't think I ever tried it before...

- When playing an Album, system will not play it according to track order, even if Shuffle is disabled (tho Shuffle LED also doesn't work, so hard to confirm if it's off)

I tried to play an entire album, tracks 1-11, in order and it constantly kept shuffling the playback randomly. Switching to different songs/albums/playlists and back did nothing to change the behavior.

-------------------

Cross-posting this from the main MFT thread:

Ran into a new one (for me) yesterday...

Was driving down the interstate, listening to BT Audio or iPod - forget which one. System kind of froze up so I was expecting to see the infamous Sync screen, except it started working like normal again after a minute or so. Until, about 30 seconds later...

"The application has encountered a serious error. The system is now shutting down."

(paraphrasing - but it was close to that)

A genuine, old-school Windows error box popped up on-screen! With the X in the corner and everything!

Unfortunately it was only on there for about 5 seconds - I tried to snap a photo but the screen had already gone blank by the time my camera app launched.

Anyway, yeah, the supreme quality of MFT continues to impress... [facepalm]

#569 ·
Not sure if this is a new or old bug - I don't think I ever tried it before...

- When playing an Album, system will not play it according to track order, even if Shuffle is disabled (tho Shuffle LED also doesn't work, so hard to confirm if it's off)
Definitely an old bug. The system plays on track file name instead of the track number metadata. It used to be on name metadata which is even worse. There is a tool I think on SMR that will append track numbers to the beginning of your files.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.