Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#3,093 ·
Last chance

I am glad to read that a new bulletin, procedures and parts have been released to (hopefully) address this problem. I've had my '12 Focus Ti at two different dealers four times for transmission/clutch diagnostics and work.

Shuddering, rough shifts, indecisive shifting, and roll back I personally consider quirks. Maybe I'm being too lenient based on other posts here, but I realize it's complex and yet still fairly cheap. I drove a cheap manual for most of my life, so I'm pretty tolerant of slushbox quirks.

What has pushed me to the brink is bogging down with no power when trying to accelerate from a stop. It dang near got me killed last Friday, as in an 18-wheeler swerving around my driver's side door close enough to throw road grit through my slightly lowered window. There's nothing quite like gravel hitting the side of your face to really get your attention.

Yes, I've read this thread - http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415994 - and others like it. I've received the "It's supposed to be like that, you don't know what you're talking about and you don't know how to drive" flier from my local dealers, even after they re-flashed in accordance with TSBs in effect at the time. I've learned how to modulate my car's throttle like a champ to help it through its "challenges." My wife won't even drive my car because of all the shenanigans required to make it drive smoothly. Unfortunately, no amount of decisive throttle work gets me past that 2-3 second crawl when it happens.

So I finally filed an NHTSA complaint about it. It likely won't get much consideration since the 18-wheeler driver was thankfully too skillful to result in an accident, injury, or fatality, but it's one of the few options at my disposal.

Monday I'll trek back into my second dealer (they've been decent so far, the first one was crap but that's a different post) and hope for the best. Based on my past visits:

1. Could not reproduce
  2. A "normal" flier
  3. Re-flash accompanied by a "normal" flier
  4. Clutch replacement

I expect I won't know if any fix performed will be truly effective for at least 2-3 months.

I do appreciate the extended warranty and that Ford, at least at this point, hasn't given up. Whether their tenacity is motivated by making good on the promise that is part of each sale or combating negative public perception might be debatable. However, no amount of good will gestures will placate me if this fix doesn't take care of the problem for good. This really is the last chance I'm willing to give to make it right.

Best Regards,

Sparky12

#3,094 ·
Sparky - I'm by no means a certified mechanic or engineer on these, just see a number of different issues posted here.

At least some of the hesitation issues reported are NOT related to the DCT, and IMHO the prevalence of DCT complaints can send investigation of these issues in the wrong direction.

We've got more than one thread here on this problem showing up in MANUAL trans Focus', demonstrating my point.

Recent recall on a couple models shows just one of the possibilities:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462521 (ST/Escape).

Electronic TB has been the issue on some (Fusion recall?) and HP fuel pump on others. Also damaged wiring harness at engine with bare wire to intermittently short out.

Haven't seen a single fix that's particularly common, making it hard to take a guess in an individual case.

Other times when shifting is involved, car shows a MIL/goes into limp mode, needs restart to work again, are more common & often easier to fix.

Wish I could think of a specific direction to point you, hope that mentioning possibilities OTHER than the trans. might help if this reoccurs & you take it in for service again. (emphasize hesitation, not possible trans. involvement)

Luck

#3,096 ·
Hi Sailor,

Thank you for the information. Those sound like some big problems.

I re-read my post and realized I left out one important bit that causes me to feel this new procedure may help. When my clutch was last replaced (mid-2013) it immediately fixed both my shuddering and bogging down problems. Well, at least for about 7 months until they cropped up again. Finding and fixing the source of a transmission fluid lead into what should be dry clutches should help, assuming that's my issue. My hope is any fix the dealer puts in place will last for the long term.

#3,098 ·
You want to make sure you find the very latest TSB listed here on these boards for the clutch replacement. Many folks here are hopeful that it is finally THE fix and I would be glad for everyone if they are right.

#3,097 ·
Sparky - More info. sometimes helps, didn't want to scare you by mentioning "maybe's" - only helpful when they apply. The only real point is that not every drive train problem is DCT related.

Latest revisions & service procedures are an improvement over those that have gone before, and more experience with possible problems always helps with each successive car inspected for issues.

Best of luck with yours, hope all current problems get found & fixed when it's serviced.

#3,105 ·
Took our 2014 in last friday, mind you the car has 14,000 miles on it. They did a reflash and said it needed a new clutch assembly as it failed the test. Bad news is that the clutch assembly nuts are back ordered and could take up to a month before they can fix. So we are driving a car with a slipping clutch that is getting worse and worse by the day. Oh well if it damages the trans it's on the dealer since they told us just to drive it.

#3,108 ·
2 years and multiple trips into the dealer after the DCT in my Focus started the front end of the car jumping like a kangaroo in heat, the tranny finally acted up for the dealer 'bad enough' that Ford would listen. I guess it's a good thing the tranny was leaking so they took it out for one more ride. Now after nearly a month wait for parts, then a week and a half in the shop later, it seems fixed. When the dealer got in there, they said there were transmission bolts were actually broken off. No surprise there with how bad the front end would bounce. He didn't say which tranny bolts were broken and I forgot to ask. It's too bad that Ford has decided it's customers are all wrong until the car just happens to act up 'bad enough' and at the exact time their sensors are hooked up.

#3,109 ·
Well I've owned my 2012 focus for about a month( bought used with 50k miles) and I honestly thought people were just being picky.... But then I got back from taking a longer drive on Saturday and it happened.
This thing barely got going from a stop without stalling. Now I know what people are talking about with the shudder and grinding and clunking between gears. I felt like I was in the car with some kid who was driving standard for the first time in his life. The car is still doing it at every stop light and at slow speeds so its time for it to go to the shop. It has the latest transmission update so I am sure its gonna need a clutch.
Anyways the dealer I bought from is looking at it today after I get off of work. I will update how it goes.
As a side note I will say everything else with this car has been great so hopefully this fix is one and done.

#3,111 ·
Well I've owned my 2012 focus for about a month( bought used with 50k miles)...
Anyways the dealer I bought from is looking at it today after I get off of work. I will update how it goes...
I'll keep an eye out for your update. :)

... (8500 miles now)...Wednesday I'll take it in and see if they can figure it out...
Let me know how the trip goes. :)

Meagan

#3,110 ·
I'm glad I found this forum for my Focus. I bought it new with less than 30 miles on it in May of this year (8500 miles now) and love everything about it....except.. when it seems to get confused as to what gear it should be in after slowing down than having to speed up. I've gotten used to all the other differences and noises that this Power shift transmission has from a conventional one, but this one is a bit annoying. Last night I pulled into a turnout as I had a drunk behind me in Reno which had nearly rear ended me at a few stop lights. When I stepped on the gas to jump back into traffic it revved up and just slammed into gear. Of course when this happened the traction control kicked on and I looked like a bobble head doll trying to get my car moving. Its had a few times that it has done something similar, but not this violently. Wednesday I'll take it in and see if they can figure it out. With the luck I've had at our dealer up here with the other Fords I've had under warranty, I doubt it will get fixed until after the warranty runs out.

#3,114 ·
That is a very clear cut problem, probably bad seal leaking fluid on to the dry clutch, and will be covered immediately under warranty, which is now 7 years 100k miles on the transmission... Sorry you have a bad dealer but simply educate yourself on the current TSB# for this, print it out and go in armed with knowledge and informing them know that YOU KNOW it is a serious problem and safety issue and I doubt you will have a hard time getting it fixed at all... This is something Ford is finally taking very seriously and the dealers now know this too. Good luck.

#3,112 ·
Just recently got my car back from the dealership for transmission related issues and it was found that the input shaft seal was beginning to fail but make sure you are very descriptive when describing the problem as it makes it easier for them to diagnose the problem car now it shifts smooth as silk better than even after I finished the first break in period (mid july 2011 build date) tho the new pcm programming is more conservative than the programming it had before understandable tho lol. Nice change from me getting worried looks from passengers when the whole car starts shaking.

#3,113 ·
So I had my seals done yesterday with clutch clean. Forward gears are fine, reverse is a nightmare...chug chug, almost stall. That is new.

Also the exhaust now sounds like a 98 civic with no cat and a 3 inch pipe.

I have taken it straight back to the dealer. Any ideas? Do you think that had to pull the exhaust to get at the transmission and just didn't reassemble it correctly?

#3,120 ·
2014 Better now

You will all be glad to know that Ford has effectively remedied this problem. While the Transmission isn't like a torque converter transmission, is does function properly on my 2014 Focus SE. I was concerned after viewing the numerous complaints, mine seems to be fine at 6800 miles, getting about 35 MPG. Hope any of you with the problem, get the results you need. Best of Luck[thankyou][wave]

#3,127 ·
Not a Focus owner, but a Fiesta owner with the same transmission. I was wondering if anyone had the dates of the revision of the clutch packs?
http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums...f-PowerShift-transmission?p=195249#post195249

I've read that they changed the revisions along the way and would like to know when was the latest change, was it at the same time as the TSB 14-0047 which was dated in March 2014?

I'm wondering since I got my car repaired under warranty, have 1000miles on the car, and they had a set of clutch packs and all in stock, just hoping that it's not an older revision clutch pack/seals they are putting in.

#3,130 ·
Yet to see anyone post that they got the "F" version, one person posted that they were told the only difference was packaging the latest seals with the clutch instead of getting them separately.

I'd take the last with a grain of salt, what we DO know is that rev. D use was NOT halted in favor of the latest revision so the difference can't be major (assumption).

#3,132 ·
To everyone who asked about the performance of the DCT after TSB 14-0047: Had my 2012 MK3 done in May of this year and have logged 5,000 miles since. For the first 4,000 miles it ran beautifully. Now after about 30 minutes of city driving it's starting to show pre-TSB symptoms: balking, rough shifting, hesitation, surging, "stumbling". Most of the time these show up when shifting from second to third gear.

#3,133 ·
Mine was done 11k miles ago in June (long road trips since) and same here, it wants to almost stall letting off the brakes from a stop and sometimes kind of clunks into 2nd and 3 under light throttle.... it really, really wants steady throttle for sure to shift smoothly through 1st through 4th gear.... and this is with nothing but premium fuel as well. It does help to do some heavy throttle 0-60 runs but we really shouldn't have to do that.

#3,134 ·
Same here. Bought 2014 Focus on Sep2013, first symptom appears at 7K miles. reprogrammed at 8K miles, clutch replaced at 10K miles and symptom came back after 200miles. I mean, 200 miles? I don't think this TSB is real fix. Yes, hesitation is little bit better than before, but it's still there and clutch keeps slipping between 2-4, especially when it tries to upshift on uphill.
Summing up, issue started happening at 7K, still happening after 2 fixes. Another 2 fix and this car is declared as Lemon if it's not fixed by then.
I also like to mention that after clutch replacement, my car started shaking like crazy when it's idle so dealership had to replace engine mount after that. So they didn't even do the good job on replacement, causing other issues.
My trust to dealership is just dropped to bottom after that, and this is biggest ford dealership in WA, so I'm not sure which one to try.
I really hope my car can be fixed as I really like it when it runs smooth, I mean normal, but Ford so far is really disappointing me...

#3,135 ·
I've also experienced most of these issues with my 2012. From what my dad told me (Ford Tech), the problem is the Transmission Control Module (TCM). After the dealer I bought the car from attempted to do the TSB and replace clutch/seals, the car ran ok for a few hundred miles when the car started showing the same symptoms. Symptoms worsened and the car would hesitate greatly and also stumble and want to die when letting off the brake. In addition, the car would not recognize what gear it was in and stopped at an intersection twice while my pregnant fiancé was driving the car. It would just rev and the car wouldn't move while in any gear. Luckily no cars around while the problem happened and she was able to pull into a parking lot and gas station. You can bet your ass she was pissed and scared. Which made me furious. The dealer confirmed that the TCM was not communicating properly between the transmission and computer. Hopefully they fix it this time or Lemon here we come. In addition, I believe the TCM was causing an issue with starting the car. The car will sometimes not want to start or it will take a while before it will start. They even tried to tell me it was because of the battery. Luckily, they replaced that for free and the issues were still occurring. Of course they were baffled and with me telling them that it was the TCM, they call me back with the news of the TCM malfunction. You're welcome Ford, now I will provide you with my bill. Now if only they could figure the issue with the AC.

#3,141 ·
Hi, just registered and not sure I should be posting this here but... I need help!
I am considering the Focus Se sedan with "just" automatic transmission option. (picking up Wednesday).
It is not the titanium of the hatchback so I am aware there are all sorts of problems with the dual clutch transmission or Power Shift. My question is:

Do all automatic transmissions for Focus have this long standing problem?
Thanks for your help.

#3,143 ·
libero7 - There are no "just automatic" transmissions avail. in a Focus.

They are all of the DCT Dual Clutch automated manual variety. Differences are in the controls they are equipped with, the less expensive versions don't have the sport shifting option.

#3,145 ·
The sport shift equipped transmissions have a rocker switch on the left side of the shift knob [and an additional 'S' position that enables the switch].

You may get years of trouble free service - or you may get a lemon. There is no way to tell [56k miles trouble free, then several repeated failures in one day]

#3,150 ·
i have the same problem as you. I get massive grinding to the point you can hear it with the windows up and the radio on (not cranked) but on. Im waiting for it to be crappier more consistently because the dealership is either a 20 dollar ferry ride to one dealership or a hour trip 1 way to the other dealer...Ive already tried once to take it in because it was doing it but by the time i got there it was acting "fine" so guess what. Cant fix it if there is nothing there...yaaaaaay lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.