Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#36 ·
Picked mine up today from the dealer and took the side streets home as that is where alot of my issues surfaced. I must say it is considerably better than before the TSB update. The shutter is reduced and every once in awhile I feel a hint of it (not a deal breaker now like it was before though). The RPM comes up and it definitely has more pep in city traffic. From a stop I let off the brake and within a second or two you can feel the vehicle engage and move forward. Will have to wait a few days to see if the adaptive learning strategy changes anything up as the dealer said it may be a little stiff in regards to shifting the next couple days. All in all the TSB took a car with issues and made it 100% better than it was, Now just wait and see if it reverts back after awhile. Will report back in about a week about any changes either good or bad.

Montana

#37 ·
descentgate sums my experience up so far. I've only had it for this afternoon and will give more feedback after my 40mi. commute to school tomorrow, with some highway and stop and go traffic, to see how the car responds. so far I too still have shudder at a stop, but as said, not quite as prominent. Hope it's not just the placebo effect. I may stop by a second Ford dealership just to make sure they actually did the reflash, because the guy I initially talked to at my dealership is a douche.

#45 ·
descentgate sums my experience up so far. I've only had it for this afternoon and will give more feedback after my 40mi. commute to school tomorrow, with some highway and stop and go traffic, to see how the car responds. so far I too still have shudder at a stop, but as said, not quite as prominent.
I'll admit, I'm anything but placebo about that shuddering as my sensitivity was pretty high for the shudder, and I did feel it yesterday (at points even thinking the road was the shuddering), but today, not at all. I also tested the car in a parking garage (uber low speeds), and there was less hesitatation and the car did not feel laggy like it did before when going up the ramps (~5-10 mph)

The car is also 5000x as smoother as it was before, clicking through gears quickly and without much (if any at all) vibration.

#40 ·
well you got your answer... but next time read the thread, the TSB info was posted up on page 1...

#39 ·
TSB
11-10-2•CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS, AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DISPLAY - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011
Publication Date: October 2, 2011
FORD:2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.
ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles built on or before 8/12/2011 may exhibit the following engine drivability and/or automatic transmission concerns; RPM flare on deceleration coming to a stop, rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop, intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop, intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative, intermittent harsh engagement/shift, engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults and intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) diagnostic procedures. The vehicle may also exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F or P2877. The vehicle may also exhibit intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
2.Perform Transmission Adaptive Learning. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 307-01 General Procedures.

NOTE:REPROGRAMMING PCM AND TCM WITH LOW VEHICLE BATTERY VOLTAGE AND/OR LOW IDS BATTERY VOLTAGE MAY RESULT IN A BLANKED PCM AND/OR TCM.

NOTE:THE PCM AND TCM ARE A MATCHED SET. PROGRAMMING THE PCM WILL AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THE TCM.

NOTE:pLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME111002A2012 Focus Automatic Transmission (DPS6): Reprogram The PCM And TCM Includes Time To Perform Adaptive Learning And Drive Cycle (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)1.1 Hrs.

#41 ·
Not sure if I see the "problem" I'm having with my transmission described in the TSB.

It seems to chose far too low a gear (3rd I believe) when descending some hills after tapping the brakes in Sport mode. I usually shift out of it as it seems that there is entirely too much engine-braking on some grades. Some of the hills I drive down are a bit much for Drive, but not enough for 3rd.

Car was built 8/1.

#44 ·
Had the update done today and it definitely feels A LOT smoother!

The shuddering didn't bother me very much but the awkwardly high-revving on downhill descents did... anddd... it's fixed!

Voila! Definitely highly recommended to anyone who has a vehicle eligible for the re-flash.

#46 ·
Good to read. Thanks all for sharing in this thread. Going to the dealership on Sat. anyhow to go over some winter tire/rim options so seems like a good time to get them on this.

Feta, any further feedback now that you have some miles on after the fact?

#47 ·
Gonna give it a few more days for a full review... but sadly my car doesn't feel all that different to me. I'll keep driving and keep getting a feel for any differences... but unless my car is what you guys consider "smooth" then I still feel like I have some shudder.

May also take it by another dealership near my school's main campus and see if they can check my PCM version number

#51 ·
Really good to hear the TSB is rectifying a lot of people's issues with the DCT. It's too bad Ford didn't act quickly enough to "right the wrongs" before Consumer Reports' annual review.

#53 ·
I do not get the timing of this

This update is only required on vehicles with a build date before August 12 2012

Yet they released an update on September 05 which they then recalled as it did not work

They then released this update on October 02 which solves some problems again only on vehicles built before august 12

It appears that vehicles built on or after august 12 2011 are a different transmission and Ford is attempting to resolve the issue through software and not hardware.

There is no other logical answer as to why the software and build dates do not coincide.

#55 ·
Yet they released an update on September 05 which they then recalled as it did not work

They then released this update on October 02 which solves some problems again only on vehicles built before august 12

It appears that vehicles built on or after august 12 2011 are a different transmission and Ford is attempting to resolve the issue through software and not hardware.

There is no other logical answer as to why the software and build dates do not coincide.
I beg to differ. There was obviously a problem with the September TSB that resulted in a no crank/no start condition. Once they had this fixed, they re-released the TSB on 10/2. My guess is that the original firmware and re-programming setup aren't quite the same. It probably was something stupid like they forgot to put "Make sure the battery is charged before reprogramming." But they didn't and then one person had their car battery die before the flash was finished, and then their car wouldn't start at all. Boom - instant withdrawal of the TSB.

EDIT: And I could totally see it taking a month to resubmit the TSB because that's what happens when you have a big enough company. Things just sit on/in desks for weeks.

#63 ·
I just got the TSB done, car definitely feels a lot smoother and more predictable. There is still some low speed shuddering, but it feels like the kind that would actually go away after the break-in period (I only have 600 miles on my car).

I'm quite happy. :)

#66 ·
Got to thinking and if the update was indeed released on Aug 5th why didn't Ford tell the people that were having issues that a update has been written and we are waiting for the software update so we can program the PCM/TCM? IMO it would have saved alot of negative reviews and filing problems with whatever we thought could help solve the issue and get our problems fixed.

Ford what were/are you thinking? Yeah we are a big company and we want to feel what it is like to drop from 5 to 23 in consumer ratings. I know if I was told there is a update coming and should be out by such a date then ok I can understand that and would wait for it.

Oh Shorty Long,

Yes make a appointment for this as it addresses several quirks to this transmission. Providing your vehicle was built on or before 08/12/11 there should not be a issue with getting it programmed. You can say it shudders, flares on shifting, flat spot on acceleration.

Montana

#71 ·
back from the dealer

Just got mine back from the dealership this morning. So far from the 5 miles in traffic drive to work, it does seem better, no more vibrating and the hesitation appears to be gone. I did try and lead foot it from a stop light and it was way more responsive than before. I know I need to do some more driving before I can say its "fixed" but so far so good.

My experience with my repair dept was good too. All I did was schedule an oil change and mention that I read here on ff that there was a software update on the transmission. I printed out the tsb from page one on this thread just incase. When I got to the dealer I told him about the tsb and that my car bogs from stop, and that was it, didn't charge me anything. They did have to keep my car overnight, they said they were required to break-in the transmission.

#72 ·
My wife's car is in now. Had to go in for the dealer to install the keyless entry. While it's in there I mentioned the TSB. They will also be looking at a "buzz" in the dash on slightly rough roads and the weird A/C operation. The wife should get it back this afternoon but I won't see her until late tonight. We never had the "shudder" or REALLY odd shifting but ambient temp reading was 70 at start up and it seemed to hunt for a gear once in a while. Any improvement in the tranny and I will be thrilled. Acceptable as is. The wife never even noticed it.

#73 ·
Just made my appointment for next week! The service manager didn't hassle me at all, although he knew I was there on a mission (I brought a printout of the TSB you guys listed just in case).

When asking if I was experiencing problems with the transmission, I just left it as "being unpredictable under certain conditions". Now I just have to wait.

Thanks guys. If it weren't for the forum, I would have never known about this. The transmission's quirkiness is really my only complaint about the car and I'm glad much of this is being addressed.[clap]

#74 ·
I called my dealer and they told me they'd have to road-test it and diagnose for themselves before they'd be willing to flash the software. 1-2 hours minimum. So instead of getting it done soon I'm going to wait for the first oil change and have them do it then (and bring a good book).

#75 ·
That's what my dealer said, they turned me down twice before I talked to FordCustomerService (AKA Natasha) who had my complaint escalated to regional customer service, talked to engineering, and finally got the OK to go ahead with it.

They don't even have to order parts - it's all software! So I'm not sure what the big deal is unless it's just Ford Corporate won't reimburse the dealer's 1-2 hours of "warranty work." If that's the case, it's pretty stupid because they spent more time test driving my car / troubleshooting than they would have spent just doing the darn reprogramming from the start!

#78 ·
Just got mine back from the dealership and i have to say what a difference this update makes. Shifts much smoother from 1st to 2nd , it holds the gears alittle longer and the shutter has minimized. My dealership is over 20 miles away so i had i chance to drive with it alittle while. My dealership gave me no objections when i asked them to do this update. Had oil change done too. Happy with the results. Now Ford needs to address the My Ford Touch issues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#79 ·
Took mine in to the dealer tonight to get it looked at. Thing smoothed out around 1600 miles and has been smooth as butter until suddenly around the 4000 mile mark it started acting like it did when I first got it again, like it was having to re-learn my habits. So took it in and after they drove it around a bit they came back and said they were going to do the update first thing tomorrow and drive it again to see if it smoothed out before they looked into other more serious issues. So here's to hoping it's smooth sailing ahead and the calibration update does the trick. Until I get her back I'm stuck in a Dodge Avenger rental they hooked me up with... Definitely glad I didn't buy one. It's loud, uninspired, and merely adequately trimmed.

#80 ·
To anyone that is getting the TSB performed at the dealer:

Depending upon how well (or how thoroughly) the service person performs the adaptive learning function (which must be done after the new calibration), the transmission may perform better after a few days of normal driving.

In other words, you may want to wait for a few days before passing final judgment on the update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.