Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#402 ·
My 2012 Focus had a build date of 07/2011 so I went to the dealer and asked that the TSB update be applied. Two hours later I had my car back and the Invoice says that the PCM/TCM were reprogrammed and Per TSB though the TSB number was not specifically referenced on the invoice.
Other than taking the dealers word how does one independently verify that the update was actually applied? Currently I don't really notice any differences while driving.
I did read the module CVN cal data using an Actron CP9185 (See actual data below) but the codes are still the same and may not have anything to do with changes made VIA the update.

CAL ID # 1 MOD $00
HFCH3G4.H32
CAL ID # 2 MOD $01
TQZK7T6.H32
CVN # 1 MOD $00
58 CE EC 4C
CVN # 2 MOD $01
EA AB F6 D9

Just wondering?

#404 ·
I did not note the mileage. I may indeed go back to the dealer If I do not see any improved drive-ability changes after a few weeks. The problem with my Focus was the intermittent jerky/hard shifts and occasional sluggish acceleration since these were intermittent it may take a bit more time to verify that the TSB reprogramming worked.

#413 ·
Just registered to add to this thread. I took our hatch into the dealer yesterday for an oil change and to apply the update. We explained to them the same issues that apply to the update TSB. They tested it out and applied tsb 12-01-04. It applies to cars built on or before Dec. 9th IIRC. Our DCT definitely shifts at higher rpm and doesn't lurch forward as soon as you press the accelerator anymore. We also had a squeaking noise looked at from the dash and it was a loose clip that was replaced. Noise gone and transmission fixed. Both issues were the only ones we had with the car that we bought new with only 36 miles on it. From the looks of things it seems we lucked out. Lithia Ford of Boise has been the best dealership I've dealt with and they go out of their way to make us feel at ease.

Just my .02.

#415 ·
How are you guys getting this update done? I'm fighting with our local service adviser to try to get the update and he says that Ford requires a DTC to come up before they'll do an update! Hes being nice about it and so am I but I can't help but feel that I need this update done. My build date was may 2011. I drove another focus a couple weeks back with a couple thousand miles less and it drives totally differently.

#416 ·
I worked directly with the service adviser and the tech. I did not require any DTD to be thrown. The description of the TSB specifically targets your car and many others built before August 12th.

If your dealer won't help, try another dealer or escalate through FordCustomerService on this site. I think your dealer is "misinformed".

#419 ·
Hi all. New to the forum here. Been lurking and reading for several weeks now. I purchased a 2012 Focus Titanium on 12/31/2011 that was built 09/19/2011. From the factory it shifted smooth but not the snappy shifting that I was accustomed to with my VW DSG. Only concern I had was while backing up a very slight incline in my driveway it started to jerk and shudder when lifting off the gas.

I took it in to my dealer along with a printout of the Car and Driver (I think thats the mag) article stating that a new update came out in December. My service adviser was interested in this as well and they took the time to look it up. I got TSB 12-01-04 flashed to my car. It took them about 2 hrs to perform because I had to wait for the updated to be downloaded from Ford to the dealership computer first.

It really changed the way this car shifts for the better. Starts off the line are smooth as silk. Nearly as good as a regular automatic. Shifts through the higher gears are faster and much more direct, no more slipping of the clutch to smooth it out. It's still NOT as quick as the VW DSG but IMHO it's far more refined than VWs. This car is definitely tailored to American driving. At highway speeds it NEVER hesitates to shift gears and power delivery is always there when you want it. This car is quick and fun to drive. Get the update!

#428 ·
Well after going in 3 times today I had the Motortrend article and the TSB in hand. I finally got an appointment.
They said they would look at it but the main reason its going in is because my fuel gauge doesn't work properly on cold mornings. Now that the weather has been getting down to -25 it wont show the right reading. later in the day when it warms up a couple degrees it's fine. I would really hate to run out of fuel at that temp with my kids in the car!

#430 ·
I got some news to report:

They claimed I have the latest updates and did not do anything. They tested the car and said it was the smoothest transmission they tested. I asked to show me proof it was the lastest update/software, but they could not give it to me since the computer is not set up to the printer. I was talking to the shop foreman during the visit.

However, they attempted to get Ford Engineering on the phone to see what else they can do. I should get a call on Monday or Tuesday. Because I still have the grinding noise, they may be investigating the clutches on the car. The car is at about 6,700 miles and it is well past it's break in period. I have the car in my possession

The dealer I went to had folks that were appreciative of my past business and they wanted to make sure that I was happy, but I still have some questions.

In any event, I will see what will come of Ford Engineering next week.

#432 ·
We just got the 12-01-04 TSB done today on our car and my wife noticed an improvement right off the bat. It hold the lower gears longer and shifts better. It is still learning but it is better than it was. I didn't even have to fight with the dealer for it. I just told them to check to see if there was an update for the trans and it shift erratic at slow speeds and they just did the update no fuss. What was even better was we originally took it in for an oil change and to see if we could get the update and when we got the invoice there was no charge for the oil change. Guess they give you the 1st one free. They never told us about that.

#438 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has had the update done that was NOT experiencing any major problems with the trans? Did it make a noticeable difference? Improvements? Worse after? I'm curious as I'm not sure what to do. I have a 5/11 build, but no shutter, good shifting. My only complaint is some "hesitation" under certain conditions. I guess my real worry is losing what I have to fix a problem I don't [confused]

#439 ·
Do it!!! My dct was fine except always shifted to early so never could get higher rpms unless really pushing the gas pedal. Now it drives n shifts like a dream! You won't regret it and you will realize how good the car can drive after the update. Think of it as driving in sport mode all the time and when u do go to sport mode it will really be noticable.

#445 ·
I am taking my car in for an oil change this week and asked for the update even though my car was built in september. The service manager said he would do the latest update for me. Is there anything special to request?

What about after the update?

Should I do this?

#448 ·
On the weekend, we took another Titanium out for a test drive. I wanted to see (a) how the DCT actually performed and (b) try my iPod Classic in the MFT.

iPod seemed to work find. I'd have to spend some time figuring out the voice command strategy for controlling it, as it seemed at times that it would be easier to just push the buttons to get what you want. Maybe the new software will improve that...

We did some town driving, then headed up a hill at highway speed. I didn't notice any problems with the shifting of the DCT. In fact I quite liked it. It matched the initial impression I had when I drove another new one several weeks ago.

Interestingly, when we got to the top of the hill and I looked for a place to turn around and wifey to have her shot (it's going to be her car), we ended up sitting on some snow. Of course we couldn't easily get out with the stock tires, and both me and the salesmen (no demos without one allowed) had to push it out.

The car was rocking as we tried to get it over the tough areas, and when we finally did get out, I noticed a burning smell. I immediately thought DCT, even though the salesmen (brand new) swore it was the brakes. We had barely touched the brakes in the entire extraction process.

BTW, the car was the sales manager's demo, and had about 380 km on it. I wonder if the problems start to show up at a certain stage of breaking the car in...

I just discovered the new Escape that's supposed to be coming out in a few months, and am now thinking we should wait to see what that's like. It looks like it will have a traditional 6=spd automatic transmission.

#449 ·
I have some good news!

I got a call from the dealer a few minutes ago. He talked to engineering on Monday and there were a few other Focuses with the transmission issue. He says there is a newer TSB coming out for the transmission (12-01-04?) and that I will be called back on Thursday with instructions.

I will postpone my other appointments as it looks like I might be making some progress.

I will PM Neomi and let her know that my dealer called me back.

#451 ·
There is a new update as of Jan 12th 2012. TSB 12-1-4.

ISSUE: Some 2012 FOcus vehicles built on or before 12/9/11 may exhibit various engine drivability and/or transmission concerns and may include diagnostic trouble codes (lists a bunch of DTCs). Additionally, the oil change minder light in the instrument panel cluster may not turn on when the vehicle odometer surpasses 10,000 miles

SERVICE PROCEDURE: Reprogram the PCM and TCM to the latest calibration.
Perform transmission adaptive learning. Reset the oil minder.

FIXES:

• Vehicles Equipped with auto transmissions:
  • RPM Flare on deceleration coming to a stop.
  • Rough idle on deceleration coming to a stop.
  • Intermittent engine idle fluctuations at a stop.
  • Intermittent harsh engagement/shift and 1st gear shudder/creep issue
    Vehicles equipped with manual transmissions:
  • Intermittent vehicle speed control inop
  • Engine no-start with engine coolant temperature open circuit faults
  • Intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal PCM/Emissions diagnosis pinpoint test.

I just had it done a few hours ago and it seems to be working great.

#464 ·
Forgive my total, um, stupid question... but I assume you're just saying smash the accelerator to the floor from a stop a few times... right? [:I]

Mine was built 12/11 so has this update, I guess. I test drove several that obviously did not have this update before ordering mine - frankly they worked better. Go figure.
My build date is Dec 2nd so I'll be asking the dealer to check into this when I take it in this evening!

#456 ·
I got my trans update done over the weekend. I took it out on the highway and really dogged it good and man I was impressed. Car really bites hard now and the shift from 1st to 2nd is Great! It really does have an aggressive shift pattern now and really pulls hard throughout the rpm range.

One question I do have that I brought up to the service advisor when dropping it off for the update is that when I have it in sport mode......it will shift on its own really early sometimes.....like around 3500-4000 rpm. (& it still does after the update) Anybody else do this?

#459 ·
Awesome. I just called my dealer's service department. They're going to take a look Friday morning for me.

Hopefully this gets applied!

#458 ·
They did the test drive for me and had it relearn itself, however, I think they normally let you do it and just remind you that it will shift kinda weird while it relearns itself.

#461 ·
I can't yet, but I'll let you know once (if?) I can find a dealer that'll do the TSB for me.

#463 ·
Well got mine done today. I thought to myself, what if they didnt do it cause they said it was ok, or worse they said they did do it, but really they didnt......Well that was before I drove the car. I could tell right away that they did it! What a difference! Shifting is alot smoother and rpms are a bit higher.

I also noted the Test menu before and after the update and a couple codes did change. They are: under APP it was BM5T-14CO26-AK, now its BM5T-14CO26-AP also under NVM EEPROM it was 17.m8 now its 19.101.

I'm not sure if the above changes relate to the transmission update or a gauge calibration update they did. He said the calibration update should fix the fuel guage error i got when it was cold outside.

#564 ·
Well got mine done today. I thought to myself, what if they didnt do it cause they said it was ok, or worse they said they did do it, but really they didnt......Well that was before I drove the car. I could tell right away that they did it! What a difference! Shifting is alot smoother and rpms are a bit higher.

I also noted the Test menu before and after the update and a couple codes did change. They are: under APP it was BM5T-14CO26-AK, now its BM5T-14CO26-AP also under NVM EEPROM it was 17.m8 now its 19.101.

I'm not sure if the above changes relate to the transmission update or a gauge calibration update they did. He said the calibration update should fix the fuel guage error i got when it was cold outside.

Thanks eyeballeater for the great info since you recorded the EEprom and App version info before and after the update. I am pretty sure this is how we can tell what version of PCM software we are using. I had my update done on Dec 10 so I think I missed the latest TSB version and probably got 11-10-02 applied. My dealer did not write the TSB# on my invoice, they just said TSB applied.

I will check my EEprom and App version info and compare to what you posted. Also I noticed on your invoice they wrote TSB 11-1-4 instead of TSB 12-1-4, do you suppose that's just a typo?

To anyone else going in for the update or just someone who had it done recently and have the TSB# 12-1-4 printed on there invoice please read the EEprom and App info and post what you see (before and after the update if possible).

Thanks!
[ffrocks]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.