Wall Street Journal Article -DCT - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #51
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
Careful not to jinx yourself!

You could suffer the fate of the folks that go to pass with their manual transmission and experience a chilling lack of power...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281609

Don't worry. It won't happen to you... but it could
There isn't 50+ threads on this issue and appears to be more of a software issue and not mechanical so no worries here but with a DCT I would be concerned problems would happen sooner or later and I wouldn't find what Ford considers "normal" to be acceptable but alot of people with DCTs make excuses for that "normal" behavior and just accept it's flaws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #52
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,065, Level 85
Points: 18,065, Level: 85 Points: 18,065, Level: 85 Points: 18,065, Level: 85
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
And many people do not know that some of the shudder is by design:

"the computer can induce some shift shudder " (as a warning)

http://articles.sae.org/8287/
It also says there's supposed to be some warning message. I haven't heard anyone mention any message.

And that is the second reputable article I've seen that mentions 'virtual testing'. The other --> http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/fiesta/inside-info-on-the-ford-powershift-six-speed-automatic-transmission/

I haven't come across one that mentions any real world vehicle testing. Though I'm sure there has to be one somewhere?
If not, then it's quite clear the computer nerds didn't get the testing strategies correct.

I knew nothing of how this DCT worked and this thread forced me to learn and read.
The conclusion I came to is more questions and theory than anything.
I wonder how many of the concerns come from owners who've never driven a manual transmission?
The one thing that, from the problem threads I'd read and possible solutions, I've found is that the problem all seems to stem from clutch temperature.
I'm not sure if any of you have ever overheated a clutch. But I can tell you the functionality of it changes greatly. If bad enough it can get to the point of the car not moving at all. Less severe, chatter beyond belief. But in my experience it took a lot of abuse to get to that point.
It's very similar to 'brake fade'. Both are friction materials and both are designed to create heat and mitigate it.

Now I would say some may have to do with driving style. In the case of someone who's never driven a manual transmission, they may try to operate it at too low of RPM and the clutches generate too much heat, or heat faster than the spinning of the clutch pack can move air around to cool itself. ... Because in most threads I've found, most say at highway speeds they have little to no problems. So heat and air flow seem to be the best theory IMO.

The question then becomes how to remedy that problem.
The simple solution would be more RPM. How much would be trial and error but you at least have some basis to go by, road speed RPM.
Another alternative may be a breather or venting of the clutches, or active cooling.
Reliability and repeatability concerns come into play from an open bellhousing. Road debris can contaminate the clutch/es and cause concerns. But what if the clutch was able to draw clean air? Then the debris and contamination factor is lowered, possibly eliminated. That would sound like a feasible option/remedy to me. But applying it to existing vehicles would be cumbersome and expensive.

Now the question I haven't seen posed is "what changes are contained in these strategy updates/revisions?"
I feel that if one of us knew that we'd have a better understanding of what is going wrong.
But reading the good articles should shed light on what the updates are doing. The SAE article mentions that there are no heat sensors in the trans and that it is all done by math, fancy math. So knowing that and keeping with my theory of heat, I'd say it's a good bet that the updates are simply modifying the critical temps of the clutches.
But with no way to actually measure temps it's always going to be trial and error. Always!

So that says someone needs to devise a way to physically measure the temp of the clutches. Problem there is the sensor would have to be a no contact one and survive in the dirty environment of clutch dust. But hold on. I brought up 'active cooling' and filtered air. If both of those were combined the air inside the trans wouldn't be some contaminated and the sensor would have less chance of getting dirty and providing false data.

There are my thoughts. In any new version I would expect to see an actual temp sensor and possibly some type of filtered cooling air system. I feel that having both would reduce most issues if not all.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #53
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82372
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

Points 57, Level 1
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
If my car weren't a lease and I wasn't trading up at the end of the year, I'd probably be raising hell at my dealer about the transmission; it seems to have gotten noticeably worse this winter in terms of shuddering and looooooong shift times (and once the selectshift just said "nope" when I tried shifting from first to second and I lost "sport" mode until the car was restarted).

It's just kind of sad that my relatively new car with 13,000 miles shifts like my old V8 SHO that had 130,000.

And in case it hasn't been posted in this thread, pictures of a clutch/seal replacement:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=82571200
Old 02-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #54
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,638, Level 62
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
The new 2015 Ford Focus will debut at the Geneva auto show next month. The 64 dollar question is will it still have the dry clutch DCT or will Ford abandon it. Retention of the dry clutch DCT might actually be of benefit to existing 2012-2014 owners since it may signal Ford is figuring out how to remedy all the problems. Perhaps a clutch revision "E" will be introduced.

My personal opinion: clutches are best when operated by a left foot, not a computer.

Algorithm testing of the DCT was performed by Ford civilian employees:

"Ford started with a simulator program in which "civilian" Ford employees tested a wide range of control strategies."

And many people do not know that some of the shudder is by design:

"the computer can induce some shift shudder " (as a warning)

http://articles.sae.org/8287/
Well said.

I have said it a thousand times......the issue for dry dual clutch transmissions is thermal.

VW's horror story on their dry dual clutch should have been a red flag for Ford , but I guess the low cost associated with manufacturing the dry dual clutch clouded their better judgement.

I predict a similar fallout for Ford as what happened to VW (extended warranty). will be in the future when thousands of out of warranty dry dual clutch owners have to dig deep into the bank account to keep their dry dual clutch operating in a respectable fashion.

That said, my Powershift dry dual clutch in the 2012 Focus wagon has been a real peach. But I believe the set up is quite different between North America and Europe, because of the emission requirements being different and other considerations.

Also I believe different driving conditions for each owner will result in how this transmission operates.
If you do lots of stop and go, you will experience the dry dual clutch at its worse.
Lots of highway and very little stop and go or mountain roads, then it works as advertised.

I suggest Ford get out of the dry dual clutch arena, and not get buried in a storm like VW is facing around the world, minus the North American market.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #55
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostinger View Post
The madness continues
I didn't read this whole thread but I have to chime in here and say my 2012 DCT operates perfectly and gets better over time as the car wears in. Every time I drive it I marvel at how snickety-snick smooth and wonderful it has become.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #56
wavsine
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

Points 13,900, Level 76
Points: 13,900, Level: 76 Points: 13,900, Level: 76 Points: 13,900, Level: 76
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 12 wavsine Great Standing Member