Focus Fanatics Forum banner

High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST

807K views 1K replies 303 participants last post by  Arty 
#1 ·

Come Visit The Ford ST Team At FocusFest 2011:

Enthusiasts of the much-loved SVT Focus, take heart, and start your engines. Ford will deliver on its promise of a high-performance version of the next-generation Focus, previewing a muscular Focus ST at the Paris Motor Show Sept. 30. Targeted for global launch in 2012, ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global performance vehicles strategy. With its own 2.0-liter EcoBoost™, ST will offer enthusiasts an intoxicating mix of exhilarating performance and handling, not to mention a most addictive sound.

• Exciting new next-generation Ford Focus gears up for Paris launch of full production-ready range of bodystyles together for the first time
  • Global reveal of new high-performance 250 PS Focus ST for 2012 launch
  • New Mondeo and C-MAX ranges on show
  • Ford accelerates efforts to reduce CO2 emissions with high-efficiency Ford ECOnetic Technologies and Electrification feature displays
  • September 30: Alan Mulally and Stephen Odell to unveil the next-generation Focus family at 09.15 on the Ford stand in Hall 1

The exciting new next-generation Ford Focus range is the star attraction in Ford Motor Company's display at the 2010 Paris Motor Show on September 30.

For the first time, the complete global Ford Focus line-up of three production-ready dynamic bodystyles will be displayed together, providing customers with a full insight into this significant new model before it goes on sale in Europe and North America early in 2011.

Ford is also delivering on its promise to introduce a global performance version of the new Focus with a world premiere for the exciting flagship of the range, the muscular 250 PS Focus ST. The dramatic new ST will launch in early 2012 and will be revealed on September 30 at the Ford stand by Alan Mulally, Ford’s President and CEO, and Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe.

First Global Product
The formal launch of the full production-ready Focus range in Paris is highly significant for Ford, as it signals the introduction of the first truly global product developed under the Company’s ONE Ford strategy.

The Focus is Ford's most significant car range globally. Developed at Ford's Global centre of excellence for Small Cars in Germany for sale in over 120 markets worldwide, the next-generation model is the most important Focus yet and is created from Ford Motor Company's new global C segment platform with up to 80 per cent parts commonality around the world. This platform will underpin at least ten vehicles globally and account for some two million units of annual production by 2012.

With the complete range of three bodystyles on display in Paris for the first time – sporty five-door, elegant four-door and stylish wagon – show goers will have an exclusive opportunity to see and experience the car’s individual design and class leading technology first hand.

New Focus promises to outsmart its competitors by offering more affordable technologies and features than customers have ever experienced in this critical vehicle segment. Next-generation Focus also offers customers the highest standards of quality and detailed craftsmanship, plus outstanding fuel economy, and will take the legendary Focus driving dynamics to a new level.

Previewing the exciting new Focus ST
At the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, Ford Motor Company's group vice president for Global Product Development, Derrick Kuzak, promised that an exciting new performance version of the next generation Ford Focus was in development.

At Paris, Ford is delivering on that promise by revealing an early preview model of the exciting next-generation Ford Focus ST. Targeted for launch in all global markets from early 2012, the all-new Ford Focus ST will be Ford's first high-performance model developed under its global Performance Vehicles strategy.

The new range-topping Focus – which features a unique 250 PS version of the new 2.0-litre, four-cylinder Ford EcoBoost engine – will be completely true to Ford's ST heritage, offering driving enthusiasts an intoxicating cocktail of exhilarating performance and handling accompanied by an addictive sound.

Visitors to the Paris display also cannot fail to notice the show car’s highly distinctive sports exterior, which is finished in 'Tangerine Scream', a dramatic new body colour that reflects the new ST’s exciting and energetic character.

New Mondeo and C-MAX on Display
Taking their place alongside the next-generation Focus family will be five-door and wagon versions of the new Mondeo range, which was previewed at the recent Moscow International Automobile Salon. The Paris show sees the debut of the ultra-low CO2 Mondeo ECOnetic version. The Ford stand also showcases the latest S-MAX and Galaxy models which were launched earlier in 2010.

The all-new Ford C-MAX and Grand C-MAX will be represented by high series Titanium models fitted with a Ford EcoBoost 1.6-litre 180 PS petrol engine and the updated 2.0-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel. Bringing new levels of style and desirability to the compact Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) market, the all-new Ford C-MAX is the first production model using Ford's exciting new global C-segment platform. The Grand C-MAX also goes on sale in North America in late 2011.

Lower CO2 Emissions across the Ford Range
Ford is accelerating its efforts to minimise fuel consumption and CO2 emissions across its product range, and two important new entries to the Ford of Europe product portfolio are being displayed at Paris – a new Ford Mondeo ECOnetic model and a new Ford Ka derivative with standard Ford Auto-Start-Stop system.

These new models follow the significant new developments which have already been introduced during 2010, including the launch of the new high-efficiency Ford EcoBoost turbocharged direct injection petrol engine family and completely updated versions of the powerful yet highly fuel-efficient Duratorq TDCi diesel engines.

Ford is also moving forward with its European electrification program and will be displaying for the first time the core technology destined to drive its C-MAX PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle), that will be produced at the Valencia plant in Spain and is due to go on sale in Europe from 2013.

Along with the wider introduction of low-CO2 Ford ECOnetic Technologies such as Eco Mode and Smart Regenerative Charging, Ford of Europe is on track to surpass its goal of a 30 per cent reduction in CO2 emissions from its new vehicles by 2020, relative to a 2006 model year baseline.

"The launch of the complete new Focus range, plus the global debut of the high-performance ST model, makes this Paris Show not only very exciting for Ford, but also highly significant," said Stephen Odell, Chairman and CEO, Ford of Europe. "With the all-new C-MAX also on the Paris stand, along with the latest Mondeo, S-MAX and Galaxy models, it’s clear that the pace of change within Ford remains as aggressive as ever."

See less See more
1 11
#174 ·
I totally agree with azdamay 100%.
Well said.
Whoever said to SHUT UP better get over themselves.
Its hard to be happy with this as a Focus community when the new Fiesta ST looks closer to what I wanted.
I dont roll over and buy based on a name....if its not what I want I walk away.
This is closer:

This is NOT:

But it looks like this:

Introducing the new "Wide mouth ST"

#186 ·
This is NOT:
Like this?

Hahahahahahahahahaaaa... that was a good laugh on a day I needed it.

i'm wondering how a full frontal crash bar will work with that opening....i know the Lancers have a center area that is solid that covers the crash bar.

check it here:
That's a very good point. The funny thing is I never stopped to think that was the reason behind the "trend" of that style grille - to conceal the crash bar.

And yeah, part of the awkwardness probably is due to the angle the car is sitting at in that picture... but if the promo image from Ford can't produce a non-awkward-looking shot of the grille, that is not boding well for the car.

#176 ·
I think part of that is the angle, the grill on the new ST is similar to the grill on the old one...

#180 ·
I cannot claim credit for that, (Nor would I, I love the new Focus ST). A guy on Xceed, a local midwest forum did it.

#181 ·
I guess I follow the "If it Aint broke" policy....

HONESTLY, I was really wanting to buy the new focus after sitting in the *cough cough* Carlisle special. I LOVED that thing. sooo cool. felt great. not over the top. good power. established tuning base and a neat 5-cyl engine on a solid volvo chasis.

ALL u had to do was extend the bumpers a lil bit. thats all. we didnt NEED a 100% new redesign. the mold u had WAS awesome!!!

My money stays in my pocket. wow me or i will continue to buy used cars with better styling and a cheaper price.

#191 ·
Hmmm, To me those big grills look like the same size. The new ones just on top of the small ones instead of below. But maybe it's just me. And i bet if you guys saw this in person it wouldn't be half as big as you think. It's just really open, they need something across the middle or something.

#187 ·
Posted via FF Mobile This is supposedly a concept pick so I wouldnt freak out just yet. I personally like the look of the new focus, but the pack od the upper grill on this makes the face look strange. But I guess now that we are getting a performance focus I guess the new in thing to do is to say its not THE ONE we wanted....ugh.

#189 ·
Exacrly we finally get a performance focus again and there are complaints. I sold my ms3 to wait for this vehicle and dammit i will have this vehicle i want boost from the factory with the blue oval in front not a brand owned by the blue oval!!![cheers]

#192 ·
Ok, now kids, is it me or does this:

...not look just like this????????????

If you want the OLD look of the focus, you are now a FIESTA fan. Get a fiesta!
The new focus is just that "NEW".

And it will sell and be better then the old...

Does anyone see this or am I just crazy?

#194 ·
If you want the OLD look of the focus, you are now a FIESTA fan. Get a fiesta!
The new focus is just that "NEW".

And it will sell and be better then the old...

Does anyone see this or am I just crazy?
Except that picture is of the previous generation Fiesta, which you can't get (unless you live somewhere other than North America). [poke]

#197 ·
^^ I think I get exactly what he meant. The Fiesta took the spot in the lineup that the Focus once had, thus the 2012 Focus is a new car, a different car with a familar name. You look at the Fiesta ST thread and it seems the overwhelming response seems to be that a lot of people prefer the look of the Fiesta ST over the Focus ST. That's not a surprise since the Fiesta is holding the Focus' spot. It would be like a person who is a fan of the first gen Taurus complaining about the new Taurus' look. It's not the same car therefore you can't really compare the two equally.

#199 ·
I can agree/understand that. I'm just happy we will have so many options to decide from. Focus ST, Fiesta ST, or Mustang V6 Performance Package...

So many options.

#201 ·
Honestly, I think it's kinda ugly... but I thought the original Focus was ugly too, yet I still bought my SVT! I will likely keep my SVT and buy one of these... just not in that horrid gold puke color.

Here's to hoping it's not a total porker, and that we get Recaro seating. The concept can keep the stupid center exhaust and nav system.

The only real gripe is having to wait over a year for it...

#202 ·
The only real gripe is having to wait over a year for it...
haha, I am not directing this at you specifically, more "us" as Focus enthusiasts, but we were just griping a few weeks back about not knowing for sure if there will be a "performance Focus" model, it was all just rumor to get excited about. Now we gripe about having to wait. Darn Ford needs to get with our demands and deliver one to our driveways right now! [:p]

Honestly I may get smacked for this but I really hope the center exhaust is just show car stuff and becomes a Ford Racing add on kit and the stock ST comes with exhaust on one side or the other. But that's entirely motivated by my selfish plans to tow a track Ducati 848 with a new ST in a couple years [8D]

#205 · (Edited)
I think that many of you guys dont see this new car as a "focus" because you missed a link, you missed on the mk2 focus.. I can see the relation from what I have to these new ST, and though I must admit I didnt liked it the first time I saw it, and I think its a shame theres no rumbly 5pot anymore.. I have to say its been growing on me.. every time I see it I like it more and more.. Can only imagine what I'll feel when I see it in the flesh
Also you should read some of your responses, maybe thats why ford didn't brought you a performance focus before, there are sooo many needs and sooo many opinions that is hard to please everyone...
All I know is it doesn't look like I'll be trading my ST, at least not for this one, I'll wait and see the facelift mk3
CheeRS!

P.S. I saw the new spy shots on the fiesta ST, and although I liked it A LOT, it wont be a focus, and it will lack many of the cool features I so madly love on my ST, same as the previous fiesta ST, great looking car, super fine of a drive, but ultimately in a conpletely different class as the focus..

#208 ·
The fact that we didn't get the MKII or a performance model with the "refreshed" MKI is simply due to finanical and management turmoil at Ford NA when the decision had to be made. Ford wasn't making any money selling the Focus here and didn't think they could make money on the Focus so they made the decision to not invest significant time and money on bringing the MKII here, especially when there was much more money to be made in the SUV class. Ford decided to kick the can down the road a little and so we got the '05-'07 refresh. Then Ford turned the NA Focus over to a small team of American designers and we got the '08-'11 refresh of the refresh. It had very little, if any, to do with Ford worrying about pleasing everyone.

Every automaker goes out and tries to design a car that will have mass appeal. I'm sure someone from Ford views some of the things we say as a way to gauge what we would like to see in a focus, but in the end it comes down to what they think the market as a whole wants and, most importantly, can they make a profit selling the car.

#206 ·
^^yes!!

All you "enthusiasts" begged and asked Ford to bring something of a performance model Focus over here and NOW that they've finally decided to, most of you are just complaining and argueing about it or what the price os going to be when you guys have no idea!

I agree with ThunderST, everyone should reread this thread and see how dumb some of your posts are. Sure its not the best looking thing out there but it is very nice and farking rad and a heck of alot better looking then the base model 2012 Focus. And buddy was right, its not in the same "class" the past Focus where in (you want that, buy a Fiesta), its matured and stepped up big time, no question abooooot it

#207 ·
Well put. I've been waiting for quite some time for a new performance Focus to come out. Now that its here, I'm not complaining, I'll just buy one. I think it looks fantastic both inside and out. The performance numbers will be right where I'd like to see them and i will be in the market for a new car late 2012. HellllllllllllllllOOOOOOOOOO Focus number 3.

#209 ·
what would u think of that thing if it WASN'T BOOSTED.

honestly. if it was a 2.0 with 180 HP.

I BETCHA it would be WTF it that thing??!!!! EEEEEW!!!

don't let that lil snail inside the engine bay let u overlook the styling. ugly is ugly, even if its 1,000HP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.