Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Calling all 2012 focus members with a five speed manual transmission

8K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  FordServiceCA 
#1 ·
My issue is missing and hesitation in first and second gear mostly, does anybody else have this issue when taking off in first gear sometimes the car will miss and hesitate?? You do not notice this on the tack as if the engine was actually missing. I decided to drive the car down a long alleyway with buildings on each side to see if I could hear any spark knock in the engine. When the car does hesitate it does spark knock a few times right before hesitate? Almost like the spark plug is firing before the mixture is ready which results in that whole power stroke being missed. I have no check engine lights or codes present. Any help will be great thanks a lot.

#3 ·
I have tried switching gas stations But that did not help. No issue did not start all of a sudden it's been going on for about 3 to 4 months..It is Sporadic every once in a while and it may go for miles and miles without doing.. The engine being hot or cold does not seem to have an effect on. I will try a tank of premium see what happens. Thanks

#5 ·
I have had a similar problem with mine, but I always attributed it to the times when I didn't give her quite the gas she needed and that's when I noticed it. Does that sound similar to your problem? Only happens when I give a little less than normal throttle accidentally when letting clutch out in first gear. I know it sounds like a dumb thing to say..like hey dummy, give it more gas duh...but it seems like a little more than that, maybe there is a hesitation.
Another issue I have is when I put the clutch in between gears, I get a small rev instead of the RPM's dropping like they should when I get off the gas and on the clutch between gears...strange. I have adjusted by now and don't even notice, but whenever someone new drives it they notice it too.
A little background so you all don't think I'm nuts..I'm 41 years old and have been a car enthusiast since I was a teenager and have been driving standards and motorcycles and every other piece of machinery you can think of ever since. I know my stuff. This stuff with my car always grabbed me as a little strange, But never really enough to mention until now.

Bye the way, I run 87 with 93 about once a month.

#6 ·
It doesn't happen so much when letting the clutch out the clutch is completely engaged and I'm going down the road the RPMs are right around 1900-2200 and hesitates in between that range. I've also been driving manual transmissions for over 25 years I grew up with mustangs GT's and cobras. Focus that my family owns are 2002 SVT 2003 SVT 2007 focus SE and a 2010 focus all of them are manual except for 2010 non-of the cars experienced this issue. This spark knocking is what has me concerned

#7 · (Edited)
Head to your dealership and get TSB #12-5-5 done. Then install a Mazdaspeed3 rear motor mount.

The TSB reflashes the PCM and will automatically raise the idle a hair when you release the brake, helping to get rid of the throttle lag. Also, the stiffer rear motor mount gives you a more direct throttle response instead of a 'rubber-band' effect.

FWIW, I also run 92-93 octane fuel.

#8 ·
First this is a high compression engine.. 12.5:1 with direct injection.. although you can get by with 87 octane fuel, the engine really likes more octane. I run 91 octane with no ethanol since the engine seems to respond to it better...

The throttle "flare" you noticed has to do with the fact this is a drive by wire car. It does take some "adaptation" if all you've ever driven were regular cable driven thottles.

Also if it hasn't been applied, have the TSB that was mentioned earlier in this thread applied to your car, it changes the throttle maps in the computer and improves performance significantly.. not perfect like a cable driven system but much better.

#12 ·
Iv bean having the same problem so thanks for the info.
Hi 2012TI and deadknite,

I'm happy to escalate both of you to your regional Customer Service Managers. They'll reach out to your dealers to ensure this is resolved pronto. [8D] Just shoot me a DM with your VIN, mileage, preferred servicing dealer, and a good daytime phone number; I'll get things rolling!

Head to your dealership and get TSB #12-5-5 done. Then install a Mazdaspeed3 rear motor mount.

The TSB reflashes the PCM and will automatically raise the idle a hair when you release the brake, helping to get rid of the throttle lag. Also, the stiffer rear motor mount gives you a more direct throttle response instead of a 'rubber-band' effect.

FWIW, I also run 92-93 octane fuel.
TSB 12-5-5 would be correct for the OP's car.
Thanks for chiming in, folks! Group effort for the win! [hihi]

-Crystal

#17 ·
I hadn't noticed any build dates attached to TSB 12-5-5. I can tell you from experience it's a definite fix.

#14 ·
I'm definitely experiencing a lag when I launch in First Gear - Can I just go to the dealership and tell them about this TSB? I'd like to see if this is something my car is eligible for... I only have 2,400 miles on it and it's been bothering me...

I'm a 5-Speed 87 Octane user myself...

#19 ·
My 5 speed is fine. But I use 93 octane exclusively.
Never any stumble. (except air conditioning on full blast 90+ F out, and not giving enough gas, then twice so far in 6,000mi I have had a little stumble from a stop.)

I did notice last month the gasoline was not the best. Poor quality basic gas.
Even from top tier stations.

#21 ·
My Etis has never showed me anything other than recalls. If you have a good dealership and politely explain how your car was built after...but...and explain what it's doing they'll take care of you without even reproducing the problem. It's worth a shot, right?
Posted via FF Mobile

#24 ·
Does higher octane really improve it that much? I have exclusively used 87, our lowest local grade, from day one and haven't reported any notable problems that would warrant examination.

#30 ·
I concur. Bring it into the dealership and anticipate them performing 12-5-5. I don't believe this it's a 100% fix but I think you'll see an improvement.

I'm semi-concerned that you experience this even after the car is warmed up. I sort of doubt it's anything but it if this worsens you may have something else going on. Mine only does it with a cold drivetrain, and it's definitely worse in cold ambient temps.

#32 ·
I concur. Bring it into the dealership and anticipate them performing 12-5-5. I don't believe this it's a 100% fix but I think you'll see an improvement.

I'm semi-concerned that you experience this even after the car is warmed up. I sort of doubt it's anything but it if this worsens you may have something else going on. Mine only does it with a cold drivetrain, and it's definitely worse in cold ambient temps.
This. I do 26 miles each way to work. Really not that much to warm up before I shut off for 12 hours.

#34 ·
Mine does the same thing it's definitely noticeable on a cold start and takeoff. It does it about the exact same spot every morning.

Other issues:

I've also noticed the absurd amount of rev hang it has in between shifts. The rpms will stay high for about 2-3 seconds, this is especially bad when I have the throttle opened up.

Another thing I have noticed is a knocking coming from the left side of the car near the bottom of engine. When I engage the clutch it goes away and when I let it out it comes right back. It's easily reproduced.

Last thing, if tapping the throttle in between 2-3k rpm i.e. give it enough gas at idle to make reach 3k and then let off and when it hits 2k give a quick burst, it sounds like a diesel tractor. Funny enough my motorcycle also did the same thing before the engine went. If I watch the tachometer I can see it jitter when the idles drop back down after giving it the burst of throttle. It doesn't jitter more than 2 or 3 hundred rpms, but it most definitely there. I've only got 11K on the car.

Any thoughts?

#39 ·
Mine does the same thing it's definitely noticeable on a cold start and takeoff. It does it about the exact same spot every morning.

Other issues:

I've also noticed the absurd amount of rev hang it has in between shifts. The rpms will stay high for about 2-3 seconds, this is especially bad when I have the throttle opened up.

Another thing I have noticed is a knocking coming from the left side of the car near the bottom of engine. When I engage the clutch it goes away and when I let it out it comes right back. It's easily reproduced.

Any thoughts?

This. My focus has both of this present as well. The knocking noise however is not consistent. Some days it's there, some it's not.

#35 ·
Hey folks,

Just a reminder: If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and you haven't already done so, please PM me your VIN, mileage estimate, preferred servicing dealer, and a daytime phone number. I'll get each of you escalated to your regional Customer Service Manager; they'll get in touch with your dealers and work on a solution.

Have a great weekend! [8D]
-Crystal

#38 ·
Was the car cold during this?

Cold GDI engine = bad bad bad throttle response or hesitation on take off...

Mine hesitate all the time when RPM drop below IDLE threshold!

Also Throttle by wire introduce some noticeable delays

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.