Engine warmed up, then went cold. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine warmed up, then went cold.

Today I was sitting on break in my car, and after it warmed up, put the heat at like fan speed 2, and after a minute or two, I see the engine temp gauge slowly drop back to cold. It didn't go all the way to cold, I turned off the heat, and it climbed back up.

Should I be worried that this happened? To be fair, it's been below freezing around lately. Anyone else experience this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 8 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I've noticed that just idling mine doesn't heat up that fast. Also that trying to make it warm inside quickly just keeps the engine cool
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
I've realized that, too. Which is why I wait until the engine says it's warm on the gauge. But mine went backwards...
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdv5 View Post
I've realized that, too. Which is why I wait until the engine says it's warm on the gauge. But mine went backwards...
The car says its warm on the gauge well before the engine is actually warmed up. Its more of a dummy gauge, so unless you were to have been checking in test mode the temperature sensor reading you wouldn't know that it reads 50% (aka nominal) as low as 41C or sooner which is still frozen in terms of engine temperatures. Normal operating temperature is actually closer to 80-97C when its fully warmed up.

It doesn't warm up all that fast when its cold, especially if you don't have the heater set to maximum for long enough to trigger the active shutter system to close and warm the engine up faster rather than sucking in cold air.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thermostats open when hitting a certain temperature (150-180F for most cars), and fans kick on and off as well, which all act to cool the engine, especially at idle. Running the heater acts as an additional source for heat removal so the thermostat doesn't have to open as often.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Dark 007
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80502
What I Drive: 2001 marshall red LX

FF Reputation: 1 Dark 007 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdv5 View Post
Today I was sitting on break in my car, and after it warmed up, put the heat at like fan speed 2, and after a minute or two, I see the engine temp gauge slowly drop back to cold. It didn't go all the way to cold, I turned off the heat, and it climbed back up.

Should I be worried that this happened? To be fair, it's been below freezing around lately. Anyone else experience this?
I'm from Chicago as well. I completely understand, It's been brutal out here lately, you know. My car does the same exact thing, it's an 01.

Posted via iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 02-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejordan View Post
Thermostats open when hitting a certain temperature (150-180F for most cars), and fans kick on and off as well, which all act to cool the engine, especially at idle. Running the heater acts as an additional source for heat removal so the thermostat doesn't have to open as often.
Agree. With a cold engine. the thermostat is closed until the coolant warms up in the engine enough to open the thermostat. then all that hot coolant flows out to the cold radiator, and the engine is cooled by the incoming cold coolant.
So it would be natural in cold weather for the heat to fluctuate some untill the system reaches a steady state.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Your heater is just acting like a radiator cooling your engine , especially if its cold out. Happens all the time in the great white north thats why when we start our engines if its cold to turn off the heater until it get warm.

Bookmarks & Social Networks