2007 Focus 2.0 manual trans, what to look out for? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
duder
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110014
What I Drive: 2003 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 duder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am going to offer him 4500, if he doesn't take it, then I'm going to walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #12
Bob G
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94741
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ST

Points 37, Level 1
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Bob G Good Standing Member
Hope everything works out for you.

Bob
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #13
duder
Focus Rookie

Guy did me a favor, sold it out from under me. May have found an SVT focus, to bad its a 2 hour drive to go see it. will probably look for other cars along the way there.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yes he did a favor. Seriously, no car is a good car if it's been wrecked, and I never believe a seller's explanation of the wreck. Ask any mechanic who is not trying to sell you a car about it.

Good luck! If you're interested in Focis specifically, then keep reading on this site so you discover what some of the problems might be with those cars. Most problems are very easy repairs when you know what it is, but you might run across people who don't have these resources and have thrown a lot of money at a car to fix it with no avail.

For example, you should be careful of SVTs that are near clutch replacement age and have not had a new clutch. Clutches are very expensive for those cars and 05+ Focis because a new flywheel is required. Both have DMF's. Zetecs use SMFs, and under no circumstance do you want an SPI. It's a good way to talk down a seller who feels guilty for selling a car because of an imminent expensive repair.

Engine running problems are the ones you can use to your advantage to get money off when the repair is simple as described on this site.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
duder
Focus Rookie

Picked up a 2003 SVT Focus instead, 139k miles, got it for $4000. Car is spotless. worried about the timing belt though.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 9,887, Level 66
Points: 9,887, Level: 66 Points: 9,887, Level: 66 Points: 9,887, Level: 66
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 70 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like a decent purchase, on a car that's worth taking care of & enjoying!

(I hate putting time & effort into a vehicle that's not worth it)

Timing belt IS important to replace at regular intervals, if you don't have the maint. history on when it was done it would be a good thing to schedule replacement as soon as possible.

Before diving right in, take some time reading up here on what is involved & what other items you might want to replace at the same time to avoid any future maint. issues. The Timing belt on these isn't a simple task, and requires special tools &/or skills to do right - so some research is warranted before attempting it. Many pick that time to do major maint. at the same time since much of the labor is included in the timing belt job. For example, the serpentine needs to be removed so replacement of that & it's idler pulley/tensioner is often done as well. Some go so far as to replace the water pump as well while it's easily accessible.

Not all of this NEEDS to be done at once, and certainly depends on budget available. Help from an experienced acquaintance who can assess condition & guess at time since last maint. would help. Timing belt is relatively critical, as you've apparently noted from your research to date - the rest is optional.

"New to You" maint. like fluids, filters, (don't forget fuel filt.) and a general check over looking at hoses, brakes, suspension & driveshaft joints & rubber boots will give you peace of mind. Keeping an eye on things this way can prevent a lot of surprises, and you can then schedule a lot of repairs before they become emergencies.

This sounds like a LOT of work, but it doesn't have to be done all at once! As time goes on you simply develop the habit of looking around (when you do an oil change for example) to see if everything looks "normal" that you don't get a chance to see in normal daily use.

Welcome to FF!

Enjoy the new SVT, and don't be a stranger - there are areas on here of interest beyond just fixing the new car, hope you enjoy checking it out!

Last edited by sailor; 02-21-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
duder
Focus Rookie

Im not so worried about the maintenance, will most def be tearing into it soon. Thanks for the info!

Bookmarks & Social Networks