Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Realtime MPG display?

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  snow12 
#1 ·
I apologize for making this my first post (just bought a 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium yesterday), but I have a quick question.

On many other cars, there is an available realtime fuel efficiency display that you can choose in the car's info panel(my girlfriend's 2005 Camry has this ability). Do these cars also have the same option? The average mileage is sort of OK, but a realtime display definitely helps me avoid being a leadfoot a lot more than average mileage does.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Unfortunately there is no real-time display. I miss it as my previous car had it also.

There are plenty of OBD-II peripheral devices however that can give you that information.

#9 ·
I agree. The lack of instant MPG does suck. I went from a 2004 Toyota Echo to my 2013 Focus and I find that I need to reteach my foot how to drive. With the Echo I would have to be more lead footed just to get her going. With the Focus I've started learning how to ease up on the accelerator. I've noticed that on the avg mpg my numbers are getting better since starting to re-teach my foot.

I do have a good question on the subject though. Since going with lighter foot my initial accelation from a dead stop is a lot slower. Since it goes to higher rpms at lower gears, would it make sense to get through those gears quicker so I can get to speed and then maintain - or should I start light and stay light and take longer getting to speed?

#10 ·
I don't know for sure. I believe it's better to accelerate slowly and anticipate braking so you can coast more and not lose your speed. Doesn't do you much good to mash on the gas and immediately have to slow/stop and accelerate up to cruising speed again.

Another thing I noticed after I filled the tank up night before last is that the miles to empty range reads about 200 miles and has stayed there for the last 30 miles. Is there a way to reset this? I've reset the average MPG a couple of times and the trip meter as well.

#12 ·
Every time I start the car again, the distance to empty goes to about 205 miles and goes down from there. I've driven about 45 miles since I filled up and the needle has not moved off the stop yet (not used to that, coming from a 3000GT VR4 TT). So this will correct itself in time, or should I take it to the dealer and have them recalibrate?

#15 ·
If you only have 45 miles on the car since the last fill up the needle doesn't necessarily move off of Full, as that's only about 1-2 gallons of fuel used.

The distance to empty recalculates periodically based on the amount of fuel left in the tank and the current fuel economy. So if the mileage is still going up you can go for a while before the distance to empty drops as the fuel economy used in the calculation updates.

Yeah that little display is just about worthless. I also wish it had instant MPG as well as a digital speed readout. It's such a large area with practically no use.
There was so much more information shown on this display on the European MK3 models, but apparently North Americans are easily distracted and sue happy so to prevent this they didn't allow us to have much data displayed at once.

#18 ·
Why do we always get the short end of the stick in N.A! I feel like every other car has this [drummer] I do have a ScanGuage E and while I like it it really detracts from the interior styling to have this "thing" sticking out from top of the steering wheel.

Definitely helps you realize how to control your foot more, especially when you start moving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.