Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Can the EXTRA windshield wipers wipe be turned off?

8K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 ·
It drives me absolutely insane.

I drive, I push in the wiper/washer controller and the washer/wipers wash / wipe the windshield, then a few seconds later the wipers wipe one more time and they smear all over the windshield whatever new dirt or whatever extra water/liquid drops might've gotten on the windshield.

Now I have to wash/wipe again and hope that nothing else has gotten onto the windshield so that the extra wipe won't make the windshield dirty, THIS time.

I absolutely freakin hate this "feature", I have it on the Mustang, the Focus, and the GF has it on her Fiesta.

It makes me wonder if Ford's "engineers" ever drove these cars in misty rain or light slush or any other kind of conditions where having this "feature" would make the driver go insane.

So, anybody know of a way to disable the extra wipers wipe?

I'm assuming it would have to be done with the IDS, but I know Ford techs that could do it if it's possible ...

See less See more
#2 ·
this has been a complaint of some people for years. I have not seen a solution.

I just slam on my brakes during the pause before the last wipe, to get the extra fluid on top of the windshield down...

#4 ·
Moved to "General Technical Chat". I have no problems with the extra swipe. I always thought it worked out great as rambleon84 had stated. Sometimes you just get that extra spray at the top that wants to run right down in front of your field of view. Then the wipers come back on and take away that excess.

#5 ·
I think there is a setting to turn it off. Take a peek in the owners manual. My '03 svt does not do it but my '04 does.

#6 ·
"I just slam on my brakes during the pause before the last wipe, to get the extra fluid on top of the windshield down... "

Really?

Why not go faster and watch it climb back up the windshield? That never happened to me before, because my windshield was not laid back so far on an Escape like it is on the Focus.

#11 ·
I can't stand this on my 02 SE, especially when the window is all clean and it goes for that extra swipe and smears the tiny particles of snow and salt that I didn't see before, then I have to clean it again. Vicious cycle.

#12 ·
I make certain i spray enough fluid to actually clean off the windscreen. So that last flip is great.
I am a vote for the extra wiper flip.

[neener]
Naturally if you are trying hard to save the penny that extra squirt of washer fluid would cost you... then yeah i can see why it would be annoying that the extra flip smears the grunge you never actually washed off.... being stingy and all. [smackbum]

#13 ·
must be an option after 2001 because my 01' does not have that feature...

#16 ·
I've always hated it. If you're driving the car at speed airflow seems to make it totally unnecessary, it just smears the already dry windshield again. In fact, it makes me use more wiper fluid then otherwise, because I have to take into account the extra wipe and make sure the windshield will stay damp in the meantime just so it doesn't smear. I always mentally say "f you" to the extra wipe.

WTF has happened to me, I'm complaining about windshield wipers and wiper fluid. This is the beginning of the end.

#17 ·
I don't hate it yet, but i rarely use washer fluid. Always make sure windshield has RainX and is mostly clear of snow/ice before driving.

It gave me a chuckle the first time I used it though!

#18 ·
Agree Rain X is wonderful.. And using the washer is really mandatory when on a wet snowy/cold freeway.. Then one cannot avoid having to clean the windscreen while on the move..

I try hard to never run the wipers dry (thus scratching the glass..) so when a truck sprays my windshield, I run the washer right off.

(One of the wonderful features of Rain X is the perfect windscreen ten years later.. No scratches!!

#19 ·
I use washer fluid with Rain-X in it and this extra wipe only bothers me when the car is moving since when moving the extra wipe only serves to get the windshield dirty .... the Rain-X takes care of whatever leftover washer droplets might've been on the windshield ...

I will try the turn-wipers-on-during-third-wipe-then-quickly-shut-wipers-off procedure and see how that works ... thanks guys

#20 ·
Well, I tried turning on the wipers while they're already wiping from me holding in the wash/wipe button, and (at least in my '10 Focus) the wipers have to be switched to high speed to not get that extra wipe.

Haven't tried it in the Mustang yet ...

#21 ·
Agreed on the "love/hate" nature of this feature, and it seems to have been added to most newer vehicles I've driven. MOST don't do it when turned off from the "on" position instead of the automatic wipe when squirting position, another new 'convenience" feature....

(Yeah, I agree on feeling like a fossil to want simpler controls as well)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.