Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#297 ·
No need to tape off the tire...

IME, you can't really get a clean tapeline with plastidip UNLESS you remove the tape as soon as you shoot it, while it is still wet. REALLY wet. Otherwise the plastidip just peels from the tapeline out. [thumbd]

I used plastidip too this weekend, but in an unconventional way...

I took the rear chrome garnish off my Fuze because I want it black. First I shot a nice thick coat of plastidip, and then after allowing that to dry for the recommended 4 hours, I shot black metallic Rustoleum over that, and then clear over that. Results:

IMG_9114 by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Now the theory is, when I want to paint it again, I can peel off the plastidip and the spray paint and be left with the chrome. [clap]

#314 ·
Your rims look good Avie..What you could try on the red accents is have a graphic shop make em for you instead of painting em..Pretty sure they can do that for you.Price might be like $10 bucks for all 4 rims.Give it a try.

#318 ·
multiple coats, if you put it on to thick the first time it gets that orange peel look....no bueno [nono] I did about 6 coats lol really most do two I have bad ocd hahaha [chairfall]

#329 ·
well im in the panhandle and u never know whats going to happen here haha it snowed just the other day but most of it melted as soon as it hit the ground. But being a delivery driver it comes in handy to have a winter set and plus that allows me to run summer tires on my eaps

#337 ·
It's probably more likely to get chipped and scratched with clear coat on it.

I did paint over the plastidip when doing my rear valence and now my foglight surrounds and have noticed no ill effects. I was half expecting some horrendous side effect, but if anything the paint adhered better the the plastidip than it would have to just the bare surface. I'm impressed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.