Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#374 ·
I'll play along too, just covered my grill.
first I lightly sanded it with 400 grit, got a nice brushed look to it.

Then 2 coats of flat black Plasti Dip, probably gonna give it two more when the weather gets a little better.

#380 ·
Thanks everyone, that is my goal. Black accent with red highlights. Every time I see a car with it done, it just looks right.

#382 ·
I was plastidipping my EAP winter wheels. I finished my second can and i only have 1 done and 2 half way. Am i doing it wrong or does white just need more for complete coverage? I am doing both the front and back of the wheel if it matters.

#389 ·
I used a whole can of palstidip for all 4 wheels. But I missed a spot on the one wheel, so I bought the Rustoleum version of plastidip and used that. It was half the price and dries in 30 minutes. Holds up just as great too! The only thing bad was the smell....lol

#390 ·
Ok this is what I did today, I like the way they look. My car is all black and grey in the interior so I think it goes well...I still need to work on the small triangular vents, but I have no clue on how to take them out and plus they are very fragile cause they are so old...I almost brake one :(

#398 ·
Oh ok...well I am very skeptical about them cause the sun and how old they are this pieces are very fragile...I try one and I almost break it and I didn't even do any force on them.

I just think I am going to have to tape them and put some news paper around the board to paint them with out taking them out but I am not sure about that either...[dunno]

#399 ·
My wife and I read through this thread and grabbed some Plastic Dip yesterday afternoon. Went to my father in law's and got one coat on each of the front wheels, but it was so cold it took about an hour for each to dry, so we threw them back on and I'm going to finish in the morning. How many coats per is recommended? I can see a couple spots on each I'm going to grab, but I can't see getting 3 or more coats on each wheel with the three cans we bought. Using too much per coat? :eek:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

#401 ·
From what I've seen, as long as you have no spots that are sticking up, allowing wind and whatever else to pull it up, it will withstand quite a bit wherever you put it. I've seen a few videos of people pressure washing parts that have been coated with Plasti-Dip and it holds up well. It couldn't hurt. Do whatever you need to do with it. If it starts to come up anywhere, all it takes is a $5.98 can and a little taping and you can coat right over it. [drinking]
Just finished up the 3rd coat on each front wheel, waiting for them to dry and then I'm going to start with the back. Anyone know a good way to tighten the lug nuts without tearing off too much of the Plasti-Dip inside? That was my only issue last night.

#404 ·
It was semi-warm with a little breeze in my garage today, so coats were drying pretty quickly. 15-20 minutes per. With 3 cans, I did about 3 coats per rim before putting them back on and switching to the rear wheels. Got it finished. Enjoying how it looks. Just watching it closely. If you don't use anything to catch the overspray, and it gets on your tires, go for a little drive. When you get out, look at the tires, and some of the Plasti-dip on the rubber will have raised, and you can peel some off. Just hoping none of mine on the rim does. :p Will take pictures in the morning.

#403 ·
30 min between coats according to the can, thats what I did. then 4 hrs to dry before you rough handle it too much.

#406 ·
Here is the finished product of my Plasti Dip Autobots stencil:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.