Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Fun with PlastiDip!

2M views 3K replies 351 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well I got off my lazy butt and hit up the Lowes and got a rattle can of Plastidip and did some car modding today.

Anyone else had some fun with Plastidip? Post up some pics!

I know Pattacular has some pics [popcorn]

Temp usage. -30 - 200

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/fil...6techsheet.pdf

See less See more
#335 ·
It's more of a rubber not sure if it'll chip like paint paint....my gas tank cover looks good still and my grill takes hits and it still looks real good :) hard to say I guess...I like mine the flat matte look :)

#345 ·
Getting updates about this topic in my email inbox makes me want to spray more things on my car! STOP IT :mad:

#347 ·
Love all the action in here, great looking projects, love the Fusion paint job. Awesome job man.

Sorry, it's just so much fun and no long term ill effects. (That I know of [:)~])

#361 ·
There are a couple forms and a few methods. In all forms, as the paint dries, it goes from a liquid to a shrink wrap-like rubber coating which can be peeled off.

Spray can: use it like spray paint
In a can (like brush on paint): dip things in it
In a can (and put inside a paint sprayer): use it like any other paint

You can also combine colors to make your own customer shade, and they have an additive to make the paint UV resistant. Pretty incredible stuff.

AND YOU CAN JUST PEEL IT OFF WITHOUT DAMAGING THE PAINT UNDERNEATH!

#362 ·
Just sprayed the fake chrome vent things that go on the side... The "FOCUS" was covered in paint, so I don't know how it's going to turn out but we'll see. I'll post up pics when they dry, and decide whether I like it, or I'm peeling it off and trying again

#369 ·
Today I got to experience the joy that is peeling Plastidip that has been painted over. I was wetsanding a run out of the clear coat and it just plain ripped the head off the run and peeled all the way down through the dip layer to the chrome underneath, so I had no choice but to peel it all the way and do a complete repaint. :-/

I tossed the piece in my convection oven on warm and the paint and plastidip peeled off in big long sheets! Kinda fun actually, but kind of depressing seeing my hours of work and dry time going down the drain. Oh well. A fresh coat of Plastidip is drying on it as we speak. Hope to get the black metallic and clear shot before I have to leave for work.

Pic:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.