Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOW TO: Replace License Plate Bulb 2008 ? 2011 Focus

31K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  zx3zach 
#1 ·
HOW TO: Replace License Plate Bulb 2008 – 2011 Focus

How to replace the license plate bulbs on the 2008 – 2011 Ford Focus

Note. My car is incredibly dirty, this is nothing to point out.

Supplies:
  1. Phillips driver
  2. Flat head driver
  3. Cardboard or something to sit on
  4. Sylvania 6418

Step one. Remove the two screws holding the bulb in place

Step two. Using the flat head pry the clear plastic off.

Note Do Not attempt to pry off the black portion of the housing.

Step three. Pull apart the prongs holding the bulb in place.

Step four. Put the new bulb into between the prongs and put back into the black portion of the housing. It should be able to stay by itself.

Step five. Put the two phillips screws back into place, turn on lights and make sure that the new bulbs work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good.

Fun fact of the day: Dorman sells a repair lens for this that is specific to the earlier focuses which is available on the shelf at Advance Auto. From eyeballing it while I was working, I decided it would not work for our model sadly as when I changed mine to LED lights both of my lenses were cracked before I started (it's a 2011 How?!).

Do not over tighten, they obviously break very easy!

#3 ·
Cool beans, I recently upgraded mine to white LEDs

#6 ·
I got sylvania 6418 LEDs from AAP where I work. $11.25 a piece but I know they are good quality! I've had some bad luck with cheap ebay ones.

I have 3 of them inside the car, and 2 for the license plate and boy are they bright!!! My interior lights up like daytime. Inside takes the 168/194/2825

#14 ·
we're the ones you found at Walmart LED ones ? I don't wanna buy them online ive been to a couple places but no one seems to sell led ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.