Focus Fanatics Forum banner

warneej's epic continuation build thread for the ZX3

223K views 194 replies 60 participants last post by  warneej 
#1 · (Edited)
**On-Going Thread Containing Updates Throughout!**

Got a list at least as long as my SVTf's to get this car ready for Carlisle...which is in less than 2 weeks...

-fix HIDs
-Repaint front mesh
-Replace front endlinks
-New bushings for rear endlinks
-Finish the catch-can and install it
-Remove rear stress bar and reinstall subwoofer/carpet
-Swap wheels
-Wash/clay bar/wax
-Interior detail/vacuum/shampoo
-Engine detail
-Rally letters for FR
-New AutoX magnets?

I have 2 days off in a row next week and a few short days here and there that I will hopefully be able to use to knock out the majority of this on both cars...wish me luck!

See less See more
#3 ·
gah i feel you on the end link replacement. i just dont feel like removing wheels and cursing uncontrollably :)

#6 ·
-Repaint front mesh - 1hr max
-Replace front endlinks - no more than 1hr
-New bushings for rear endlinks - no clue...
-Finish the catch-can and install it - no clue
-Remove rear stress bar and reinstall subwoofer/carpet - no more than 30min
-Swap wheels - no more than 30min
-Wash/clay bar/wax - 4hrs max
-Interior detail/vacuum/shampoo - 2hrs max ( if you are a detail freak )
-Engine detail - 1hr max ( really a full detail )
-Rally letters for FR - no clue
-New AutoX magnets? - depends of the shipping time... 20seconds

You should be able to make it on time ;)

And the car... Sick man! I love it.

#8 ·
whats wrong with the HIDs pumpkin tits...lol

car looks badass though dude.

#9 ·
Do werk son! And you forgot 2 things LOL! Read all the Focus Rising @ Carlisle Ford Nats Threads so you know WTF is going on, and pay for the dinner and awards banquet [neener]

Posted via FF Mobile
LOL got half that done!

whats wrong with the HIDs pumpkin tits...lol

car looks badass though dude.
Blew a ballast which i fixed and then found out I also wrecked a bulb which I haven't fixed...

#11 ·
Sure did--wet sanded the snot out of them and then polished, there's also a thread for that car further down the showroom too. Was hoping to have you work your magic at Carlisle if you're around...

#13 ·
If I make it im deff in. Dont know if im gonna be there though, i have a room and am registered but engine isnt in yet. Gotta finishe reassembling it in this week and then break it in/tune it... If I do make it ill make sure to grab my drill and charger and batteries. Would probably need like 40 from you to grab 2 repair kits, but depending on how yours look i might be able to do with one since you already sanded.

#16 ·
Got a TON of work done on the ZX3 today although didn't get a lot checked off...

Red = Completed
Orange = In Progress

-fix HIDs--IDK if this will happen, have to order parts and running out of time...
-Repaint front mesh
-Replace front endlinks
-Swap wheels
-Wash/clay bar/wax
-Engine detail
-Rally letters for FR
-New AutoX magnets?

First up was vacuum and shampoo of the interior, pulled A LOT of stains out and pounds of sand/shells. That's one of the downsides for a car-guy who lives in Florida, sand is EVERYWHERE.

Then I started working on the engine, decided to pull the valve cover and paint it. Decided on some "Steed Hammered-Look" paint out of my collection and threw a bunch of coats down after prepping it. Looks sick in person, almost a gunmetal-look.

While waiting for that to dry we worked HARD on the engine. Many many months of dirt and grime since my last full detail (having open hood scoops doesn't help), plus after looking at CaySE's thread I HAD to remove junk like the degas and battery box to clean and wax the painted surfaces beneath that nobody ever sees. Now that I got the details done I'll be steam-cleaning it tomorrow first thing. Still looks mighty good all reassembled.

Got a ridiculous sunburn OMG

Tomorrow I'll knock some more out and then I have Tuesday off before we leave to head up there on Wednesday!

#18 ·
Red = Completed
Orange = In Progress

-fix HIDs--IDK if this will happen, have to order parts and running out of time...
-Repaint front mesh
-Replace front endlinks
-Swap wheels
-Wash/clay bar/wax
-Engine detail
-Rally letters for FR - Purchased!
-New AutoX magnets - Ordered!

Took my design down the the place that does my AutoX magnets and got that in the works, should be ready early next week!

Also stopped at Staples and picked up the letters for the rally names on the side of the car, still looking for American Flags for em

#21 ·
haha, i need to pick up one of those kits... i noticed a pretty nast gash on the black part of mine... plus there is a few spots i didnt hit that can be seen if you look closely... not too worried about it....

#24 ·
Red = Completed
Orange = In Progress

-Repaint front mesh
-Replace front endlinks
-Swap wheels
-Wash/clay bar/wax
-Interior detail/vacuum/shampoo - finished the detail on the dash and stuff today!
-Engine detail
-New AutoX magnets - Ordered!

Over the past two days' lunch breaks I sweated my balls off polishing and protecting every bit of the interior on the ZX3, looks bangin if I do say so myself. Check one more thing off the list!

#25 ·
I AM OFFICIALLY ON VACATION!!!

Got a few more things done! Tomorrow is the big wash day! Washing/clar bar/waxing both as well as finishing the engine detail on this one. I changed the oil and reinstalled the hatch's interior and subwoofer tonight after work. Can't get in touch with my buddy who is supposed to be building my catch can so IDK if that's happening...

Red = Completed
Orange = In Progress

-fix HIDs - ain't gonna happen...I just aimed my headlights properly for my Silverstars
-Repaint front mesh
-Replace front endlinks
-Finish the catch-can and install it - can't get in touch with him...IDK if this will happen either
-Swap wheels
-Wash/clay bar/wax
-Engine detail
-New AutoX magnets - Ordered! Should be in tomorrow!
-Change oil

#26 ·
hmm... while you were doing all of that... well, i wont tell you what i was doing!!!

but i think you have an idea :)

looks good man...

i think advanced auto may still have it... i havent looked in a while... redline tuning has it available on their website as well if nothing else...

#27 ·
Worked ALLL DAY on this car today, washed, clayed, and waxed it til my arm felt like it was going to fall off! But damn it looks good! Also picked up my magnetic race number plaque and applied the FR rally driver stickers, just need to get some American flags for em! Pics are god awful as the sun is stupid strong right now and I don't feel like breaking out the real camera.

Red = Completed
Orange = In Progress

-fix HIDs - ain't gonna happen...I just aimed my headlights properly for my Silverstars
-Repaint front mesh
-Replace front endlinks
-Finish the catch-can and install it - can't get in touch with him...IDK if this will happen either
-Swap wheels
-Wash/clay bar/wax
-Engine detail
-Rally letters for FR
-New AutoX magnets
-Change oil
-Finish radio bezel

These came out SO GOOD wow

Just need American flags!

Also been working on my radio bezel, fixing a couple of cracks/blemishes in the fiberglass screen surround. Spot putty applied, sanding and painting later tonight!

Leaving TOMORROW!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.