Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sway Bar how-to??

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mirkrod 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS.

I tried searching on here of how to replace the sway bar and had found no luck. There was one thread that was said by another member that will show how to fix it, but I didnt see the instructions.

Can someone please help me with the step-by-step instructions, hot tips, and anything that will help with fixing it.

EDIT:
The front sway bar is the issue. The back is fine.

#2 ·
the rear sway bar is so simple to replace, that it is not worth writing it down.

the front bar is more complicated. i would have to search for it.

#3 ·
Welcome to FF

I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZTS.

I tried searching on here of how to replace the sway bar and had found no luck. There was one thread that was said by another member that will show how to fix it, but I didnt see the instructions.

Can someone please help me with the step-by-step instructions, hot tips, and anything that will help with fixing it.
There is lots & lots of info in the stickey's. That'll keep you reading for a while.

#5 ·
There is lots & lots of info in the stickey's. That'll keep you reading for a while.
I wasn't able to find much, unfortunately...

Removing the front sway bar from a 2000-2007 Focus is a bitch. The entire front crossmember has to be unbolted just to get the sway bar out. A Chilton repair manual for 2000-2007 Focus shows how to do it in detail. I was able to replace the oem rubber sway bar mount busings with Energy Suspension poly bushings without removing the bar or the crossmember by leaving the bar in place and just removing the clamps that hold the bushings in place. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC 704-948-9415.
Thanks Richard. I should check it out when I stop at the auto store.

Does anyone know the specific part number for the front sway bar?

#4 ·
replacing sway bar

Removing the front sway bar from a 2000-2007 Focus is a bitch. The entire front crossmember has to be unbolted just to get the sway bar out. A Chilton repair manual for 2000-2007 Focus shows how to do it in detail. I was able to replace the oem rubber sway bar mount busings with Energy Suspension poly bushings without removing the bar or the crossmember by leaving the bar in place and just removing the clamps that hold the bushings in place. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC 704-948-9415.

#9 ·
I've never done it but, from my understanding if you loosen the nuts on the subframe and let it dangle you can have enough room to wiggle it around and get it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.