Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Svt head question

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  SquiresSVT 
#1 ·
Does anyone know who sells or rebuild the svt head ?. I was wondering if anyone has the same issue or even similar? When i start the car i get this light tapping sound which i think its the valve springs etc . Is that something that i can buy already done and all i have to do is trade in my core for theres ?

#2 ·
I do not know of any one specific. Tom (1turbofocus) w/ Focus-Power may have an SVT head. most places will have other work done on it. if its just the springs those are easy enough to swap out that it may take more time exchanging the core than it would be to swap out the springs... if springs are the only thing replacing. since you have the head off likely you will want to replace the valve seals, and perhaps other maintenance that would be nice to do while you already have the head off.

Not sure how easy it may be, but you could even try to replace the springs with the head still on. the valve seals wont let the valve drop (usually) the only hard part would be getting the pressure to compress the springs.

#4 ·
Ask them...

http://focus.c-f-m.com/contact-us.aspx

I don't think they generally sell them but when they do work on a car or end up parting one out.

Thats another option, go to the part out / FS section and see what use SVT heads people may be selling.

#9 ·
Trouble with that is if its a daily driver. most machine shops will take a week or two to work on it. so you need to find another car to drive while you are working the single head. That's where the "turn key" option is desirable.

#12 ·
^^? the poster i was quoting said he had a machine shop rebuild his head for $300. I was pointing out that to do that it means your car is with out a head and obviously undrivable while the work is being done. This was nothing to say that OP needed to replace the head. I was just pointing out the obvious. And sometimes its easier for the person to do a wide sweeping "repair" to fix it all rather than do it one at a time. its all in the persons priorities and where they lay value.

#13 ·
When u say fix is broken ? Or you mean adjusted or do i need springs etc ? I'm looking at it like this the car now has 78453 miles runs strong but that ticking sounds is annoying .. So why not pull the head replace some springs valves port an polish while in there wrap it up and call it a day . What do you think ?

#14 ·
I am using fix in a general term. I do not know what you need. All we are going off of is: "light tapping sound which i think its the valve springs". all I am saying is a "new" reworked head would be the mighty all encompassing "fix" it may be nothing. or it may be the last thing you try ti fix in the long list of things to do.

it depends what is worth more to you? do you have the spare $300 to drop on having a shop rework the head, and the cost, time, and tools to replace the head? if not then doing smaller items may be best. some people value there time and money differently. to 1 person it may be worth it to just take it to a shop and say fix it and have it done the next day. others they rather spend the month or two slowly trying to track down the problem. the first person spend more $ but the second person spent more time.

#15 ·
Well with that said i find myself saying im the one who can drop 300 bucks or so on it.. I can honestly say i 99% its probably the lifters/springs/valves.. I know i dont have a slipped bearing so between me and my pops its got to be the parts i mentioned.. So which leads me to say i want it done and i dont see anything wrong with a port and polish and also looking to upgrade to better/stronger parts. Something that is going to benifit me and the performance of the car to some degree.. All help is Appreciated from all.[wrenchin]

#18 ·
Valve springs don't make noise, if they did then broken and motor about to blow up. The tappet clearance gets loose to make noise just like someone else already said. I find it humorous that someone who thinks the springs make noise also talks about the buzz words 'port and polish' and pretty much lost as no one pretty much does that any more. Polishing almost always LOSES horsepower and pretty much wasted on a multiport injected motor anyway. Porting can do the same, I've seen far more hack jobs in porting that cost power than ones that made it. You really need a flowbench to port properly. Why another expert around here advocates not touching the head at all as far as porting, and for d-mn good reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.