Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My new slicks and wheels (PICS)

13K views 106 replies 24 participants last post by  focuzed1 
#1 ·
woohoo here they are. They are M/T 24.5x8x15 mounted on Bassett D-lite wheels, Hopefully i will be running saturday night. I might also put on some svt springs to raise the front a little.

See less See more
#4 ·
Lol my tranny will hopefully hold up :)

#6 ·
There a custom backspacing. It's so the tire will not rub on the shock

#11 ·
you are SO gonna break something LOL

tranny mount bracket is what i would put money on
next most likely is the mount itself
then an axle
stripping bolts out of the transmission case is a distinctive possibility
busting the transmission case is a possibility albeit a bit more of a stretch.

but i definitely foresee broken parts in your future. please try to baby it out of the hole. dont go shooting for 1.5 second 60' times.

i will give it to ya tho man. that really does look SICK. i doubt you will have to worry much about blowing the tires off in 2nd 3rd or 4th anymore.

#14 ·
There have been plenty of ppl who run these tires and nothing goes wrong. You have to know how to preload the suspension. And I have a torsen diff.

#18 ·
there is absolutely no need for you to be a dick my friend. many many people have different techniques for launching a car and by far the most common is the rev the shit out of it and dump the clutch technique which usually ends with the driver in tears and a track official following the car down the track with a dustpan and broom.

just because you have a shit ton of money wrapped up in your car does NOT mean that you know how to drive and it does NOT mean that you know everything. i was just trying to get your back and make sure you knew what you could possibly be getting into.

since i now know how you launch your car i would like to then make you aware of another potential danger with THAT technique. if you are slipping the clutch for too long when you are preloading the suspension for the launch there is a possibility of the clutch coming apart in a big way. i dont know entirely how likely it is or if it is less or more likely with an aftermarket clutch but i do know that it happens because i have seen it happen on several occasions. i would really REALLY hate to see this happen in your focus for 2 reasons. first because, in case you have not noticed. the position of the clutch in relation with the driver is almost strait on. if the clutch were to catastrophically fail pieces of the clutch disk CAN pierce the tranny case and enter the cabin of the car and seriously mess you up if not kill you. i saw a clutch turn the stock hood on a neon into a ram air cowl induction hood here awhile back and it knocked a 6 inch deep chunk of asphalt out of the ground where a piece hit under the car. there is alot of force there. and then the second reason is that it would tear up your car really bad and that would just be a shame.
BTW just in case you were wondering, the reason i know all this is because, yes i use the same technique you do to launch and i like to weigh all the benefits vs risk to anything that i do and that includes every aspect of the way i race my car. yes i have ran slicks on one occasion (borrowed from a buddy with a civic, sue me) but i prefer my BFG radials simply because i do NOT have the amount of power to justify running slicks. sadly a 100 shot of giggle gas just wont do it.

NOW that we are hopefully done with any pissing contest... your car looks great, i hope it flys and i wish you the best of luck.

#24 ·
Ive got Koni adj i think ill be fine, thanks tho

#27 ·
wha? whoa wait! 11? 11 seconds in the 1/4? how much power are you putting down now? it must be MUCH more than the 385 in your sig! well not MUCH much more but my off the top of the head guesstimation would be a need of at least 450-500whp to get into the 11s. i seem to recall you did something new recently but i didnt know it was that significant!

#38 ·
I think he will run any where between 11.7 and 11.9 AFTER the 2nd or 3rd pass. Jim is a great driver and can probably run better times in everybody's else's car than there personal best in there own car this is just said because I have seen him do it on numerous occasions....... He will run mid 12's until he gets a feel for the track and the he will hit 11's......... And I will personally put up his time slip to prove it.... Now after all this is said he already ran a 13.33 taking off from the line like he was in a hover-round chair LOL [rofl] and short granny shifting in 1st and 2nd gear at 4300 with street tires.... So there is no dough in my mind he will break 11's this Saturday

#28 ·
Toby did 12.5 with 298whp, i made 385 in 101 degree weather at 20psi, i have a tune for 23psi so we will see what it does

#29 ·
the problem with that is that it seems to take exponentially more power the faster you want to go in the 1/4. 125whp=16s 155whp=15s 200whp=14s 250=13s and now traction goes completely out the window at 300. now you're in the 12s barely unless you got slicks. i watched a properly tuned 400whp focus on 9 inch hankook radials (bleh i know) run back to back to back 12.1 and 12 flat 1/4 mile passes the day it got off the dyno in fayeteville. i dont know from personal experience how much good lakewood traction bars do but they didnt seem to help him very much. and then there is tom. he put down what? 735whp with his and only managed a 10.95? now granted he did drive like granny out of the hole to keep from breaking stuff every time he went to the track and that car would have probably been capable of a much lower 10 second 1/4 but the massive difference in power is a pretty good indicator. there is a 335whp difference between a 10.5 ish second focus and a 12 second focus. 300whp to make up 1.5 seconds in the 1/4. damn im making myself all depressed now because i think i just realized i wont ever see anything faster than 13s in mine without putting it in the garage over the course of a year or two and just stuffing a v8 in it.

#30 ·
The problem with everything you said is, there are other factors like weather and weight. to go 10.9 it only takes 570whp as the PR focus proved it. at 670whp its running 10.1 but had some issues so 670 is capable of nines. im not going out there expecting 11s but ik my setup is capable of it if i push it

#34 ·
Thanks guys, i hope i will atleast get 4 runs in so i can get use to everything but sence its the first street heat night i doubt i will. and on the 16th i go back to get a race gas tune, to see what i can make on stock head stock cams

#36 ·
ya if its gay and i got like a run in i will come back thursday for test and tune

#37 ·
Those are the best days to go Thursday (if available in your area) and sundays are also good or at least they used to be. I don't go as much. But we are having a track meet next saturday. So I hope to have a new best time. I've done quite a bit since the last time there but I only got three runs in and I easily ran what I used too with a horrible 60 ft time. The tune I got gave me so much low end TQ I spun like crazy. It wasn't that bad last time I was there untuned. But I still need a few things to complete my little n/a build lol.

#41 ·
Lmao ^^. I test drive them today on Svt front springs. And they hook dam good for 16psi. It still spun first and second but that's cause I didn't lower the tire pressure. Either way left two long black marks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.