Focus Fanatics Forum banner

RS Console with working starter button

4K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  CrazyMatt 
#1 · (Edited)
RS Console with working starter button *Update 11-15

Well i purchased this console around 7 months ago. It was sitting in my living room taunting me with its good looks saying "install me"!. I kept on saying i don't have time for you right now, your a lot of work and i dont want to rush into things. So i waited and waited. Something was missing, the starter button! So i searched and searched but not one could be found, until i met up with fellow focus fanatic SVTbrit. Nicest guy i have ever spoken with (although we have never met in person nor spoke, he seems to be a very genuine and nice person). He offered to track the button down, you see he had a friend in Europe who happend to be coming out to visit him soon. To save me on VAT and shipping costs he fronted the money for me (keep in mind he had never met me) and had his friend order and pick up the button from Ford and bring it over to the states and THEN mailed it to me! Amazing! I can't thank him enough...thanks Shane!

After i got the button then came the daunting task of trying to make this bad boy fit, the mounting points on the conosle are different so things would have to be fabricated to make it work. Also i had no idea how to put the button in (Since of course when you buy a button, that is all you get...). I searched around and collected information from tons of sites and took the best of all of them and used them to my best ability. Still came the issue of time, i had none and have not had time in a long long while...till now! Overall the install went without a hitch, both the console and the button install took around 2 hrs. I still have a couple more things; the shift boot needs to be sewn up and tightened around the shifter, need to fill the other hole (where the build number normally goes) with something that looks just like the RS build number. If anyone has any good ideas i would love to hear them. I plan on writting up how to install the starter button as well as an RS conosle for anyone who may be interested. Well at long last...here it is! The mostly completed installation!

PS I have no idea why my seats look so dirty...

***Update! 11-15-05***

Thanks to a dear dear friend i was able to get the original build # (aka "the bolt") and it is blank so i can put my SVT build # right on it! Here are two pictures of the actual "bolt".

See less See more
#7 ·
lunarc how about hooking up some LED's or neons underneath your dash then hooking up a switch in the other hole. or how about trying on ffoc.co.uk to source up the build # from a wrecked RS then maybe disassemble it somehow and replace it with the SVT build #

#8 ·
hkysk8r07 i am not a big fan of the neons...the builkd number is what i want. I want to keep an eye out for what may look close to the original build number. I thought of some sort of bolt head. that is round that doesnt look like a bolt end and have that engraved...just need to find that bolt.

#9 ·
try going to an arts and craft store i think they might have those little glass beads/stones which are clear then print on a piece of paper or soemthing the build # and get some clear silicone/ glue gun and hook it up that may work. but i would suggest trying a crafts store and seeing if they have anything that may work

#14 ·
You don't have one. But "limited production" cars do. Like the RS I wanna say they made something like 4000 of them, so in that little hole there was a small metal bit that had that car's number on it. Like if it was the 100th to roll off the line, it's 100 of 4000.

SVT Focuses have build numbers too, since theire production was limited, though many more than 4000 were ever made. They also don't get a nice little number right on their console, but they were each assigned one.

#15 · (Edited)
Matt,

It looks wonderful, and worth the wait. Even the button looks totally 'in place', as it certainly looked on the 'loud' side sitting alone in it's packaging...the green colour that is!!!

Thank you for your kind words, but the bottom line was that I always felt comfortable in extending you the help, as you too came across as a truly genuine individual. I'm glad it worked out for you, and if I can find any information on the 'build number', and what it should look like, i will do so.

In the mean time, from what I remember of the size of the starter button (to the edge of the bezel), it would be about the same size as a 'quarter'. Why not take a quarter and grind it down flat (although, I’m not sure of the legality of defacing a coin!!!). Then have it engraved, and find some way of mounting it in the hole. You could buy a cheap metal switch (like the RS one you purchased!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and glue the 'coin' to it, and use the switch body to easily mount it to the console.

Another idea would be to go to a pet store, where they have doggie tag engraving machines with several size (and style) tags. You’d simply have to cut and de-burr the part of the tag that is for connecting it to the dog's collar!

Just thoughts!

Cheers, Shane

#16 ·
hkysk8r07: that isnt a half bad idea! I will go check out some crafty stores and see what they have to offer

Needz_a_ZX3: At this time i would like to keep my console...i will let you know if that changes

CheckMyVitals : Since i dont eat or drink in my car, it really isn't anything i am going to miss...i usually threw change or my cell phone in there, the rear area of the console has a place for that now. It is nice to enforce the no drinks in the car by saying "hey sorry, no cupholders no drinks!"

SVTbrit: All good ideas, especially the one about that oh so cheap starter button :) the dog tag thing is something i forgot that you can do in a pet store...maybe a simple round one could work, i wonder if i can find anything with SVT (like a car cigarette lighter) then have the build number engraved below that. Hmm...

Thanks for all the kind words guys, i will keep you updated as things progress :)

#19 ·
Very sweet! Something I would have never thought to do but once you see it you can't help but go "Dayyum!" Let me ask you, the beveled out area to the top of the console, extending from side to side, is something supposed to go there? It almost looks like you can see 2 bolts or something, just curious.

*Oh yeah, the EJECT lighter is so going in my car. Thanks for the link!

#21 ·
LastRites: Thanks for reminding me, i need to find the rubber insert that goes in there. Those are bolts but they aren't nearly as noticable as the picutre indicates.

Crux: I plan on doing as detailed a write up as possible...i took pictures the whole way :)

#22 ·
very cool...congrats on getting off your hide to get it done, lol...and putting that camera to good use.

I think maybe that svt lighter or a dog tag would be cool...the dog tags even come in colors, if you wanted to match your blue interior

#23 ·
Oh dear god where do i put the french frie carton an the extra large drink with out cup holders. LOL I joke but i cant live without em.

It is sweet as hell looking though.

Beside the cupholders and the carbon fiber is anythign else different about the console ?

Is the back part the same ?

#24 ·
Overall the console is shorter in the back, there is only a rectangle area for putting stuff in, no cup holders. The texture is way different, really really soft. The shift boot is actually built into the console and cant be removed (from what i can tell) without messing up the console. The dimensions are close but slightly off.

#26 ·
Just around the shift area, that is the only carbon. The rest is plastic....but it feels much nicer than the stock plastic, much much smoother, kinda like the HVAC area on an SVT (dont know if it is the same on stock cars).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.