Focus Fanatics Forum banner

center console minus armrest?

5K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  polar 
#1 ·
Okay, so I should be doing the swap soon to get rid of my ATX for an MTX, and I have one concern.

My mom used to have an '03 ZX5 that was an MTX. When I drove it, the center armrest always got in the way of my elbow when I shifted, and flipping it up to the vertical position didn't help. In my ATX sedan, it isn't a big deal, since I don't have to shift. However, I would really like to find a center console that doesn't have an armrest.

Is there such a beast? I think I've seen a car without the center armrest, but I don't know if it was custom or factory. Did Ford ever make a focus with no center armrest, and no annoying bump in the center console to interfere with shifting?

#8 ·
^^^ yeah, the two people I know with '05s both have armrests. It seems there's neither rhyme nor reason . . . lol

Thanks guys, I didn't realise that it was that common; I'll have to keep my eyes open.

#10 ·
Yeah, but there's still the issue of the big plastic pillar that it sits on. It drives me nuts. Maybe I'll find someone who wants a center armrest and wants to trade.

#12 ·
yeah, dude, it really sucks and there is no way to move it where it would be comfortable. You have to keep your elbow either out to the right or tucked in close next to your side. It was the one complaint I had about my mom's ZX5.

#16 ·
Ya, I hate my arm rest as well. I always keep it up, or other wise I can barelly shift. It's uber annoying, I know what you guys are going through. I seen it being mentioned before that SVT comes with out it. So i say just do the swap and you'll be good to go. I'm prolly gonna do mine too, some time. Good Luck.

#21 ·
It really isn't THAT big of a deal with a manual. Hell, I have the FC Race shifter, and armrest, and still doesn't bother me all that much.

BUT... yeah.. WOULD like to get a console without the armrest. My old ZX3 didn't have one (just had 2 cupholders in it's place). Would definitely like to find one again. Probably hit up the junkyard or something.

#22 ·
Sting2324 said:
I've got a 01 sedan, mtx, with that armrest, and doesn't seem to get in my way when driving normally

---randy
I agree, mine has the arm rest, and not in my way at all. Matter of fact, i requested one with the arm rest. I felt like i didnt have a place to rest my right arm with out it.

#25 ·
Okay, so I was looking around the dealership yesterday, and I think I figured it out. The console without the armrest comes on the base models and the SVT. sorta odd that it only comes on the LOWEST and HIGHEST models, but I suppose that's ford for ya . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.