Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Titanium 18" mags

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Slo86GT 
#1 ·
Does anyone else notice any issues with these wheels? I'm noticing chunks missing where they meet the disk rotor when I was checking my air pressure this morning. Three of my four wheels have this going on.

#11 ·
His photo shows an extreme closeup of the rotor/wheel interface with the rotor on the left and the wheel on the right. I suspect, as another poster noted, that these are drainage features for water that can get in under the center cap.

He just needs to take the wheel off and look at the underside. It should be pretty obvious if it is normal or not.

#13 ·
Ok, was at dealer today and they want the car back on Monday morning, they are going to pull the wheels and take pictures.

They agree that since these "chunks" are random and only on three of the four wheels they will document and send to Ford.

I would not be concerned if all four wheels had the same, but one wheel has none, and the three others have different number and sizes of these "chunks".

I know they are cast wheels, but they should all look the same, with the same markings.

If they are drain holes, then I'd still have an issue as one wheel doesn't have it.

#14 ·
Ok, was at dealer today and they want the car back on Monday morning, they are going to pull the wheels and take pictures.

They agree that since these "chunks" are random and only on three of the four wheels they will document and send to Ford.

I would not be concerned if all four wheels had the same, but one wheel has none, and the three others have different number and sizes of these "chunks".

I know they are cast wheels, but they should all look the same, with the same markings.

If they are drain holes, then I'd still have an issue as one wheel doesn't have it.
Relax, three of them are just "chunky" style wheels, not creamy, that's all.

#16 ·
Well, I had to call Ford Customer Service, and ask them to appeal this decision. I went back, the dealer took more pictures, and also walked me out to the lot and compared mine with others on the lot. I would accept mine if they were like all the others they had. Most, not all, but most had small chunks (one, sometimes two) and they explained that was normal for cast wheels. Ok, I'll accept that, but mine have more then one or two small small chunks - someone had a back day or was a trainee that day at the supplier that made these wheels.

#17 ·
My one wheel has 5 chunks out of it but only 1 rim is like that....didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest but just concerned since Ford has a 3 year/36k warranty for any manufacture defects and workmanship....workmanship???????? I am working on the carpet pulling away where the mats connect to floorboard and center speaker grill has a warp or dash does.....simple issues to fix, so why are dealers blowing smoke up everyone's bottomend!!!

#18 ·
The curvature of the notch is too uniform to be a defect IMO. I'm guessing it's from the molding process. I doubt you even see it unless your face is like inches away from the wheel correct? Now if pieces were flaking off or the finish on the wheels were peeling ..THEN I'd be concerned. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

#20 ·
You do understand that there are probably a few hundred molds for those wheels, and every one may have a slightly different hub design on it, right??

I'd be more concerned about the face not sitting flush with the brake hat than the casting differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.